PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 10-20: An atypical ante steal

07-18-2002, 02:16 AM
This is one of the more unique ante-stealing hands I've been involved in.

The third street boards are:

(As,9s)2c ME!

(x,x)6d

(x,x)8h

(x,x)Jc

(x,x)4s

(x,x)7h

(x,x)Td

(x,x)Ad

I bring it in for $3. Everybody folds to the player on my immediate right with the Ad showing. He just calls.

The player on my immediate right is a tight-aggressive semi-regular at the Mirage. He should know that it's rather easy to steal my bring-in since I won't play unless I've got a pair or a 3-flush with some high card stregth. I may play with something like AK or AQ in the hole if their live but I want a 2-flush with it.

The fourth street boards are:

(As,9s)2c,Ks ME!

(x,x)Ad,4h

My opponent checks and I check behind him.

The fifth street boards are:

(As,9s)2c,Ks,5c ME!

(x,x)Ad,4h,Qs

My opponent checks and I check behind him.

The sixth street boards are:

(As,9s)2c,Ks,5c,Kd ME!

(x,x)Ad,4h,Qs,7c

I check my open pair of Kings. My opponent bets. I fold.

07-18-2002, 02:30 AM

07-18-2002, 02:51 AM
I trust your opponent showed you rolled-up Aces. Nothing else makes sense. I think that in his spot, I would probably have raised, as limping is just too suspicious.

07-18-2002, 03:04 AM
Oh Yes! This hand is screaming rolled-aces. Anything else than the opponent played it horribly.

CJ

07-18-2002, 08:44 AM
unless he was really tough and wanted you to think he had rolled up aces!

Pat

07-18-2002, 08:46 AM
one thing i think is interesting about this hand is that it shows you the difference between lower limit games and a limit like 10-20. while 10-20 is still "low limit" the quality of play is sometimes very good. at a 1-5 or 5-10 game you could be virtually certain that your opponent did not have a rolled up hand, and you might be able to win the pot with a bet! not so against better players.

Pat

07-18-2002, 05:38 PM
After I folded, he showed his starting hand:

(Ac,Ah)Ad

I thought about betting on 4th street with my AK 3-flush but already thought his limp and check were unusual. Although, I certainly wasn't putting him on rolled-up Aces.

When I checked on 6th street, I figured he'd check behind there and again on 7th street. When he bet, I knew I was not only beaten but badly beaten. It was then that I put him on the correct hand.

I HUGELY REGRET not saying what I wanted to say:

"You're rolled-up Aces are good."

Instead, I just mucked silently. I'll never get that chance again. /images/frown.gif

07-20-2002, 01:22 AM
I think its interesting that your opponents play was sighted as good by everyone in this thread.

It seems to me that if your opponents play gives his hand way this easily, your opponent is NOT playing well.

07-20-2002, 01:27 AM
While his play of this hand made his holding readable, I don't think it can be used to judge his overall play. The way he played (A,A)A in this spot is very reasonable.

07-20-2002, 02:44 AM
But what else can he really do? Like Dynasty said, this opponent should know that it would take alot for him to defend against a 'steal' raise. In this instance, the opponent played it fine. ( although a bet on fifth might have been ok )

If the bring-in was constantly defending his bring-in. Then the opponent might have raised.

Both players played this hand fine. Dynasty's play in particular for checking the open Kings against the A limper.

CJ

07-20-2002, 11:21 PM
A more reasonable play for him was to raise on the 3rd. Nobody would think that he is rolled up and most peoplle would read his raise as ante stealing. You of course would have folded with this hand, but anybody with a small pair, 3 flush or even 2 high suited cards in the hole would have given him action. The point I'm trying to make is that there is no need to slowplay rolled up Aces in this situation.