PDA

View Full Version : AKo, maximizing my chance to win the pot

DMBFan23
10-29-2004, 03:13 AM
If only AKo hit more flops, we wouldn't get as many posts resembling this one.

I'm relatively new to 1/2, so I just want to make sure this is SOP.

This table is tighter than .5/1 ever was. still passive though, and still not tight overall, so there's hope.

UTG+1 seems somewhat sensible, although I havent seen him show down yet. MP3 just sat down way understacked (like 8 BBs), not that that's a read. no read on BB.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero raises...

CWsports
10-29-2004, 03:20 AM
At best you have 6 outs and you still have 2 other people to act after you. Out of those 3 someone has you beat. KT, K3, K6, K2, AT, A3, A6, and A2 all have you reverse dominated so I'd say you probably have more like 4 outs which is 10.5:1 whereas you're only getting 7.25:1. Easy fold for me.

DMBFan23
10-29-2004, 08:46 AM
how big does the pot need to be before you raise this?

subquestion: is this a play best saved for the flop?

EDIT: also asking any future repliers these same questions.

PokerIsLife
10-29-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure that your raising will be able to shake anyone of their hand if they caught a piece of the board. Bluff re-raise is a tool better suited for better opponents that are capable of folding a marginal hand. I lot of the time, it might better to just fold and wait for the next hand. The likelihood that you're holding the best hand is slim, and all of your outs are not clean, as anyone with Ax or Kxs would have your dominated after the flop. I think you would need at least another type of a draw before attempting to raise on the turn, but even then, it might be better to look for overcallers instead of raising to isolate.

jrz1972
10-29-2004, 09:08 AM
I have a hard time imagining a situation in which I would call that turn bet. In this case, you're obviously behind and drawing to a hand that will often be second or third best even if it hits. Clear fold. Be glad somebody bet in front of you so you didn't feel obliged to take another shot at this; you saved a bet.

If the pot were really large, it would be because other people had been betting and raising either the flop or the turn, which means I'm just that much further behind.

You're not going to win every time you're dealt AK. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that it's over and get on to the next hand. Fold.

DMBFan23
10-29-2004, 09:51 AM
my estimation of how often an A or K is good here is obviously higher than yours. at best, UTG+1 has a T. maybe he picked up a heart draw, or maybe he has a 6. I'm probably behind to him. but to say that I'm behind the rest of the field as well, and that I'll only make a second or THIRD best hand even if I hit? that seems like an exaggeration.

that said, this seems to be an easy fold for everyone else.

davelin
10-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Fold, your discounted outs aren't enough to call. Raising for a free showdown isn't going to help.

Entity
10-29-2004, 10:55 AM
This is a really easy fold for me. I'm probably behind and not getting the odds to call (~3 outs), and the pot isn't that large.

Rob

DMBFan23
10-29-2004, 11:02 AM
I've come around and I agree with it being a fold. even if all my outs were clean, and if I could collect one more bet on the river, it would only be marginal at best. I can pick a better spot than this.

but in your estimation, half the time I hit, I'll still lose?

Entity
10-29-2004, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've come around and I agree with it being a fold. even if all my outs were clean, and if I could collect one more bet on the river, it would only be marginal at best. I can pick a better spot than this.

but in your estimation, half the time I hit, I'll still lose?

[/ QUOTE ]
...and the other half of the time, you won't be able to play it as aggressively as you like, because you aren't sure if you're ahead or not.

River: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1 bets, Hero...

See what I mean?

Rob