PDA

View Full Version : Low stakes, high ante

07-12-2002, 09:21 AM
In recent discussions on such games, I think ante-stealing has been generically recommended without reference to how these games actually play. For example, I've dabbled in the $1-5, .50 ante CJ plays in. In many of these games, ante stealing opportunities are rare. You often have a combination of loose fairly passive players, mediocre aggressive players and one or two good aggressive players. While you can sometimes steal, more often you are in "raise or fold" early situations with okay hands, trying to narrow the field and then either get free cards, catch good and keep pushing or get off fast when your opponent has a real hand.

I think many players in these games are overly concerned with preventing steal, due to the large antes, which means that fairly tight standards and aggression when you do play can be successful not because you win right there, but because you often get to play either head-up or three way against weaker hands.

07-12-2002, 01:38 PM
i think the big rake common at low limits would punish ante-stealing too. if someone plays back at you it makes it more of a marginal play.

07-13-2002, 12:57 AM
You are correct that it is not very common to be able to steal antes often in the lower limit games, therefore it is important to know the situations where you can do it ( profitably ) and take advantage of it.

The key to that 1-5 game you are referring to, is aggressiveness.

CJ

07-14-2002, 03:07 PM
I've been able to do well at the Paradise 2-4

stud (.25 ante, $1 bring in) and believe the

same type of tight starting standards, selective

aggression and observant/opportunistic play that

works there will be pretty transferable to 1-5

at Mohegan/Foxwoods. The only major structural

difference I see is that a drawing hand can be

getting worse pot odds to call a fifth street

bet in the 2-4 then in the 1-5 where earlier streets have been max bet but not raised.

Your opinion?

07-16-2002, 11:26 PM
Hello,

I would would be willing to say that if you are a winner in the 2-4 game with that ante structure you would do well in the 1-5 game.

Your opinion about the pot odds is interesting, but remember in almost all low limit games your 'implied' odds are usually tremendous.

Best of Luck,

CJ

07-17-2002, 08:57 AM
Do you say your "implied odds are tremendous" because players will call/bet with hands you can beat more so than at higher limits where they read

better?

07-17-2002, 10:57 PM
MRB,

Yes, you will get paid off much more at these limits when you make your hands as opposed to the higher limits. You will also get 'raised' more on the end with inferior hands at the lower limit games, thereby allowing you to make more bets.

CJ

07-18-2002, 09:07 AM
CJ -- Thanks for your generous help -- I will be at

Foxwoods next wed. afternoon/evening playing

$1-5 stud and maybe some 2-4 he. May also be at

Mohegan Sat. day to play some 1-5 stud (and maybe 3-6 he), if the wife allows. I'll see how it goes, but your advice as a good player who plays in the exact games that have been giving me trouble is really useful. congratulations on quitting smoking -- definitely serious EV there.

07-18-2002, 11:42 PM
MRB,

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck at the Woods and Mohegan. Play well and you will be fine at the $1-5 games. ( remember be agressive with your good hands in that game. Don't slowplay anything.. well almost /images/smile.gif )

One thing to point out however. The rake in that $2-4 game is HORRENDOUS. If it is a tight $2-4 game ( which I have actually seen a few times ) then the game doesn't become worth playing. The rake is something like a dollar at the flop, another at $10, another at $20, and I think the fourth dollar is at $30. You would be much beter off playing the 3-6 at Mohegan or 4-8 at the Woods.

Someday maybe I'll meet you up there. Unfortunately I wont be able to get up there while you are there this time, as I am stuck here in corporate IBM hell. I have been getting hammered here at my office. I am working 60 hour work weeks ( minumum ) till I leave for Vegas on the 11th of August.

Anywhoo..

Take Care,

CJ

07-19-2002, 12:09 PM
We've actually changed plans, and are just playing a long Saturday at Mohegan. My buddy, who's an he

player, made exactly the point you did about the

2-4. He doesn't quite feel up to 4-8, so he prefers Mohegan for the 3-6.

I'm going to do some $1-5 and sit with my buddy for at least an hour of $3-6, although I'm still very much a newbie to he, having played it only online and in home games.

btw,

My dad worked at IBM for 40+ years in research.