PDA

View Full Version : 3 hands for review

Potowame
10-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Okay these are three hands from the Stars $1 running right now. I had a very good stack prior to these three hands, and would like to get feed back on these.

Hand #1 #94 of the Trny.

Villian was pretty loose preflop but weak after the flop, so I thought I would try the a stop and go.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed)

Hero (t6895)
UTG (t2550)
UTG+1 (t3645)
MP1 (t1060)
MP2 (t5250)
MP3 (t1175)
CO (t1880)
Button (t7800)
SB (t6100)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t600</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t1300) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t4650</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t6750

Hand #2 (very next hand #95) pretty good pot odds to call here with all the limpers. Bet out , couldn't really fold to the All-in mini raise, figured him on a flush draw, or possible over pair.

Hero (t5495)
BB (t2550)
UTG (t3645)
UTG+1 (t1060)
MP1 (t6750)
MP2 (t1175)
MP3 (t1880)
CO (t7800)
Button (t6000)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t200, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t200, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t800) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t860</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls t460.

Turn: (t2520) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2520) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2520

Hand #3 (Hand #94) yes total of 5 hands in a row. Trying to get aggressive here to get somechips back, felt this hand was worth a steal raise at least. After the flop with a flush and str8 draw I was'nt folding to a bet or a reraise so I thought I would put him to the test. with his preflop call 77-AA A9-AKs/so KQs/os KJs/os QJS J10S. I really was thinking a smaller pair 77-99 or weak ace, and hoping for a smaller pair. Mainly preaty ABC player.

Hero (t4435)
CO (t2150)
Button (t3045)
SB (t2720)
BB (t6750)
UTG (t1175)
UTG+1 (t1680)
MP1 (t9200)
MP2 (t5200)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, CO calls t600, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t1500) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t2000</font>, CO calls t1550 (All-In).

Turn: (t5050) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t5050) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5050

P.S. before I give results , please take a guess what each villian has.

JeanieJ
10-28-2004, 05:31 PM
#1:
Honestly I don't like the bet on the flop here. The call preflop was fine, but betting on a board that would obviously hit him was a bad idea. What hand did you put him on? My guess here is KQ or KJ

#2:Ax/images/graemlins/heart.gif

#3: AJ

mblax10
10-28-2004, 08:14 PM
#1-I probably see the flop and check and fold when I don't flop a set. If your plan is to stop and go, I think your flop bet is too weak, If your going to make this move, I think you need to fire out about a pot-sized bet. It saved you chips this time however, because you have to fold to the raise. I put him on KQ, maybe AK or KJ.

#2-I probably still fold pre-flop. If I call, I don't think I can bet in 1st position with 3 players behind me. I wouldn't be surprised if he had Aces or Kings, maybe 9's.

#3-I don't think you played this hand too badly, but are you really ready to become a below average stack early on with a 4 flush? You have to forget what happened in the past, you still look to be about average in chips at the start of this hand and there's a lot of time left. He could have a wide range of hands that end of beating you. You didn't give him a chance to give you any information. This is a tough one to read without nowing anything about how loose of hands the player will cold call pre-flop with. Considering it's a $1 tourney I can see A T or 2's.

At the start of this group of hands your in very good shape with a lot of poker left to be played. No reason to get aggressive all of a sudden, because it dosen't look like the players at this table are getting out of your way.

Potowame
10-28-2004, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

At the start of this group of hands your in very good shape with a lot of poker left to be played. No reason to get aggressive all of a sudden, because it dosen't look like the players at this table are getting out of your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prior to these hands I was playin pretty tight, thought It was time to change gears. I really think that I was very unlucky to run into the hands that I did. That is very sound advice though mblax10 thank you. See results /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Potowame
10-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Results, they all three had AA.

How unlucky is that, lol /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

kuro
10-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Some thoughts on hand 1:

Has MP2 been coming in at 3x the blind everytime? Has he consistently been making plays for the blinds? Calling is ok. You want to see if you hit a set.

Your bet on the flop though is curious. If you'd checked it maybe you'd have seen another card for free and had a chance at making your set. Your bet isn't enough to make the pot odds bad for the flush draw so he probably sees your bet as what it is (a sign of weakness on your part).

So I'd say it comes down to your read on him. If you think he's making a play for your blinds and will go away if you bet at him hard then you raise at least the pot. If you think he won't go away or that he might have a king or queen then you check and hope to make your set if you get the turn for free. If he bets at you, you fold.

Hand 2:
You didn't hit the flop hard enough to bet at it (especially with 3 other callers). When you play small connectors or suited connectors, you aren't looking for top pair or middle pair. You're looking for the nut straight, an open ended straight draw, top two pair, three of a kind, a full house.
I'd just check it and muck if there's any action, because you're probably beat. Once again you're half pot bet isn't going to push anyone off of their own straight or flush draw. If someone has an over pair or maybe top pair big kicker, they're going to raise your bet to at least the pot and you're stuck, becuase you are beat. I think the right play would be to just check it and throw it away if it gets any action, because you're beat unless you're hand improves.

Hand 3:
You've got a flush draw after the flop. It hit's 1 in 3 times if you chase to the river. You've also got a gut shot straight draw that hits 1 in 11 times if you chase to the river. You do not want to put money into the pot. Check it. and see if you can get a free card. If he bets all in you should probably muck it even though the pot odds are about right to draw, because the damage that he's going to do to your stack if you don't make the draw or you make the draw and he ends up with a boat/fok is pretty brutal.

As far as guessing the hands:
1. Kx or Qx

2. Whatever he's got you're behind. Could be 2 pair, a set, top pair high kicker, even middle pair high kicker, or a flush and open ended straight draw.

3. He ends up with a boat or 4oK otherwise you wouldn't be telling this hand.

If these 3 hands are typical of your play, I think you need to think about scaling down the aggression some. Each time you make an aggressive play like this and either lose the showdown or are forced to muck to a reraise, you are more likely to have other people not give you credit for your raises. Remember the goal is to be tight agressive not loose agressive.