PDA

View Full Version : Do bad players make you worse

WebsterBill
10-28-2004, 04:47 PM
I am not a great player but play decently. Have only been playing seriously for a few months. I have a clue but leaks to fix. Books and 2+2 have helped tremedously.

However, has anyone found that they get WORSE after playing for many hours with complete morons. I find myself falling into the trap of assuming they all suck and are pushing middle/bottom pair, lousy kicker. I know its hard to come to this conclusion when the guy next to you reraises pre-flop with 4/6 os and pulls a 3/5/7 flop for the staright. It's not the bad beats I am complaining about...cause they happen.

It just seems all the crappy play is making me worse? Is it just me?

Mister Mister E
10-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Poor play should make you better. You tighten up and make those people pay when they are holding bottom or middle pair. Just remember that they could have anything and try to play really strong hands only. The few beats you take over time, will be nothing compared to what these people will pay you off with in the longrun.

PrayingMantis
10-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Personally, I strongly believe that underestimating your opponents could be a big leak, even if they are complete fish. Even against terrible opponents you have to be in total control of the game all the time, exploit every mistake they make, and make as few mistakes against them as possible. It might be easier to play against them and win without putting too much effort, but to really get the maximun out of it, i.e, crushing the games, you have to "respect" the game. So yes, I do think that bad players can make you a bad player, if you start playing like they play, and forget what it means to play the best you can, be it a $2 or $200 SNG.

RcrdBoy
10-28-2004, 05:49 PM
If you don't have enough discipline in your game it is easy to fall into the habits that bad players make.

So no, I don't think bad players make you a worse player. I think that if you allow bad players to let you lower your own standards then you aren't a very good player.

WebsterBill
10-28-2004, 06:06 PM
I agree with all of you so far. I know to play tighter and make them pay, I know discipline is the key. Sometimes knowing and doing are two different things. And yes, this would probably be my biggest leak....hear the loud sucking sound as I am misread these players

I was just curious...am I the only one who falls into this trap?

RcrdBoy
10-28-2004, 06:19 PM
No. You are not the only one. I think it happens to most of us.

I know it happens to me a whole lot more than I'd like. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

viennagreen
10-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Yes-- I would guess that most of us struggle to not underestimate our opponents...

But-- it's a fine line.... I find that OVER-estimating my opponents is just as big of (if not more so) a leak in my game...

barry111
10-29-2004, 03:14 PM
I went through the same thing, and I have to keep reminding myself that it takes good cards to beat bad players.