PDA

View Full Version : Things I will never forget (Boston Red Sox 2004 Postseason)

Goodie54
10-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Game 3 of the Anahiem series. Sometimes you forget what postseason feels like when 162 games blend together. Thank you, David Ortiz.

The Yankees - oh my god - the yankees. This is the big one, nothing else in sports can compare to a seven game series against the most hated francise in the history of gamesmanship. Bring it on.

Game one - Probably the biggest disgrace that I have displayed as a sports fan. I went to a Beastie Boys concert on this night. Ah, the pursuasive power of a girlfriend. All I took away from this night is desperatly trying to find a quiet nook in the Worcester Centrum to listen to a message from my best friend, only to be disapointed by his solum voice "Schilling got shelled, 7-1 Yankees". Well, there goes game one. But wait, I'm in the parking lot, ready to leave, and I hear cheering. Other Red Sox fans are gettin roudy. The Sox have come all the way back and are only down 1 run. I love this team. The car ride home proves disapointing as our beloved team falls short once again to the evil empire.

Game 3 - All I remember is my brother, my best friend, my father and I first figuring out how many runs the Sox have to score each inning to inch back into the game. At some point, we move on to how this team can win each of the next four games, Somehow we come up with this "If lowe can come through tommorrow, then we have Pedro and Schilling, and well, we all know, anything can happen in game 7." Defying all probability, it all seemed to make sense at the time.

Game 4 and 5 - Utter torture. I have to admit, I love baseball, but there was no joy derived from the half inning the yankees were batting. Every damn pitch took another minute off my life. Normally when the sox win games like these, I feel overjoyed and excited. Relief is the only word to describe what I felt.

Games 6 & 7 1-4 of the world series - The thing I'll remember about these games is wearing the same clothes every night, sitting in the same chair, watching with the same family and friends and an overwelming feeling that this is the year. It's really gonna happen.

The moment I'll remember most as I'm sure many of you can relate is, my dad. He's lived through 55 seasons of disapointment and EVERY year, and this is not a cliche, my father is the most optomistic person I've ever known, he says (right around March or April), "this could be the year". Well, dad, finally, it was.

And finally, the one unforgettable moment that will stick with me long after the parade and long after the last leaf hits the ground in the fall of 2004 -

Hugging my dad at the end and seeing the tears stream down his face.

I know there's thousands of stories like this, but that doesn't make each and every one special.

Thank you for everything, 2004 Boston Red Sox.

Let's do it again real soon.

Peace

Goodie

daryn
10-28-2004, 04:05 PM
that is awesome.

i went to the same beastie boys concert, and went through pretty much the exact same thing you did. trying to get the score on my cell phone. then in the parking lot.. they're coming back!

listening on the radio on the ride home... end of game.. so sad.

game 3 i started watching at home. then i went to some party and kept watching it there... and it was so depressing. i ended up getting unreally plastered that night.

i used the same reasoning as you to see how they could win the next 4 straight. lowe came up big in game 4. 4 and 5 were definitely nail-biters and took years off my life as well. i know that nervous feeling... that feeling you get when the yankees are batting. I NEVER ONCE GOT THAT FEELING IN THE WORLD SERIES.

game 6 i watched at foxwoods. i wasn't playing cards though, no way. i just watched the whole game from the snack bar area above the poker room. there were a ton of people watching and redsox fans seemed to outnumber the yankees fans. the place went crazy when schill showed up big time and foulke shut tony clark (laff) down to end it.

game 7... just crazy...