PDA

View Full Version : 11+Rebuy, Big Pot Hand

Chief911
10-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Could I have gotten more out of this hand? I didnt want to price someone into a draw, but the one caller on the turn called INSTANTLY. Was my check wrong on the river?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed)

MP1 (t6053)
Hero (t9953)
MP3 (t5937)
CO (t15315)
Button (t12212)
SB (t19370)
BB (t9690)
UTG (t9735)
UTG+1 (t6805)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t200, MP1 calls t200, Hero calls t200, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t800</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t600, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t600, Hero calls t600.

Flop: (t3500) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t3500) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t4800</font>, CO calls t4800, BB folds, MP1 folds.

River: (t13100) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: t13100

Tosh
10-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I am all in on the river everytime.

Chief911
10-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Normally I am as well, but the him being the initial raiser, plus the INSTAcall on my 5k bet made me put the breaks on. I probably gave him too much credit.

Nick

splashthepot
10-28-2004, 01:17 PM
i usually put players who call very quickly on a draw, anyone else?

Tosh
10-28-2004, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Normally I am as well, but the him being the initial raiser, plus the INSTAcall on my 5k bet made me put the breaks on. I probably gave him too much credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you were planning on folding to a bet?

Chief911
10-28-2004, 01:23 PM
No. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I wasn't sure I wanted to push into that much strength. My thought during the hand was that I would only be called if I pushed by someone who had me beat. But the results oriented part of me thought I could have gotten AK to call, which he probably had.

Nick

Tosh
10-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Well you do realise every hand thats better than yours, sets you all in?

MLG
10-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Given how the hand went down you have to bet the river. He doesnt need a hand as good as even AK to call your flop bet. This is the 10:15 rebuy, yes? I would not be surprised, after it cehcked around on the flop if he called with any A there.

However, I think I would have played this hand much differently. Given that there are 4 players seeing the flop, Im not checking to the CO here hoping he makes his standard bet. The multi-way pot lessens his chances of making the follow up bet with nothing. Im betting about 2K into him. Then depending on the outcome ill go from there.

Chief911
10-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm playing devils advocate here in defending the check, because I felt like I overvalued his hand, and made a big mistake not gettin it all in. Thanks as always for the honest critique.

Note: This is the morning rebuy that is currently going.

Yawkey
10-28-2004, 02:02 PM
I think the key to this one is the INSTAcall instead of the raise. This guy has a moderate hand (pair of A's or K's, most likely A's) or possibly a diamond draw. The other thing is you don't have to worry about pocket A's because this guy would have been betting on the flop to take the pot down right there.

So on the turn you are still worried about a very slim chance of trip K's and a possible diamond flush draw. On the river the flush doesn't come. I see no reason to check this one for a free showdown, give him the hard decision on playing his hand. This is a good opportunity to take a stab at the chip leader and in turn pending a win make everyone at that table fear you.

MLG
10-28-2004, 02:06 PM
An instacall can mean anything in these situations depending on who's doing it. The key is that Chief has a set of 7s, and there are exactly two hands on the turn, 4 on the river that are beating him, and it is highly unlikely that any of these hands would have raised preflop, checked the flop and flat called the turn. Reading the action is what is important here, not reading the speed of the call.

Tosh
10-28-2004, 02:20 PM
As I implied before you are being very illogical. You give him credit for a hand, it may or not be better than yours, but you take it as a real hand. You have said you would call an all in, which is what any bet would be, so why are you checking? Its nice of you to give him a free showdown when he has just a lone ace (or whatever else a rebuy guy would call with), but it doesn't seem to help you much.

durron597
10-28-2004, 02:59 PM
The way I see this hand is, there is no draw that got there on the river, unless he had exactly JT. Is this a player that would call 4800 with a gutshot?

When he instacalls the turn, you know he doesn't have QQ. So the only hands that are beating you now are AA and KK. I can't see him playing AA this way, so the only real possibility you have left is KK. But I feel like there are so many more hands he could have than KK that I think you have to bet this river, because as Tosh said; any hand that beats yours will bet here, but any hand that doesn't will either call a bet (AK/AQ/KQ) or likely check behind (weaker Ace).