PDA

View Full Version : Topic for Discussion... 'Table Image'

06-15-2002, 04:43 AM
Hello Again Fellow Posters...

While responding to one of Larry's posts below, I started pondering a subject that I have been thinking about quite a bit lately. I think it is about time that I bring up the subject here in the forum and hopefully we can get some quality discussion out of it.

Subject concerns the classic topic of "Table Image"

Most players/authors/Critics would agree, that if you are a Hold'Em player you WANT your image known as 'Tight Aggressive'. Reasons are many but a primary one is the fact that you can 'steal' many more pots by raising.

So that leads us to the question.. What would you want your ideal table image to be as a Stud Player?

I have always been an advocate of having an ideal table image that is the OPPOSITE of Hold'Em. I have always thought this was superior. I have no problems having my opponents think I am a Fish. ( MANY do. believe me! ) I have often "set this up" by making strange plays early in a session that many players thought were foolish. ( although I always had a reason or two ) I mean why do I really want my opponents to think that I really do know how to play this game?

Now here comes my issue with this. As I play more and more at the higher limits now.. I am wondering if having a table image of "A Fish" could backfire in any way. I mean the best players are going to know how you play anyway. Thats just how it is! I can always tell.. It really isn't that hard.

Any thoughts on this.

Perhaps Mason could even input his thoughts..

CJ

06-18-2002, 12:48 PM
I personally think it's a waste of time to do any type of advertising. If you play with the same type of people most of the time then they are going to get a feel for how you play. Further as you mentioned the good players are going to adjust to your play and the bad ones are clueless anyway. Furthermore the really good players realize that whether you are tight, loose, passive or agressive depends on that particular moment. I've seen the tightest players become the loosest and the most passive become agressive depending on their current win/losses for the evening.

06-20-2002, 04:58 PM
A tight agressive image can win some pots at stud; when you miss, but opponents read you as the kind of player who only plays strong starting hands, you can bluff at a good size pot and take it down.

If you do this too much, and they start to call you down, then you bluff less but get called more often when you have a hand.

I usually do well at the 5-10 limits, and part of my success is 'stealing a pot or two' per session. I only play quality starting hands, but am not afraid to bet on the end with nothing. Clearly, this works best if you've shown down some solid hands early, but, it works regardless. Enough players stay till 7th street hoping for a miracle card, and then fold on the river for just one more bet when pot odds say they should call, that this is a great spot to be loose. The caveat, however, is that you start tight, and only make these 'bluffs' when you miss your hand or when you don't improve your pair. It also works well when you bet into an opponents open pair with a busted draw; while you have to have a read on your man, most players will not call with only one pair when that pair is showing [BUT, almost all players at the 5-10 limits will call with ANY 2 pair].