PDA

View Full Version : Are some folk loving those Jacks too much?

mackthefork
10-28-2004, 09:48 AM
This came to my mind after a recent beat I took holding KK vs JJ.

The game was a Stars 18 seater I had 1950 my opponent had 1400, I was UTG and he was in MP2, the blinds are 50/100 and 15 players are left in, 8 on our table.

I made a raise UTG to 250, and my opponent pushed over the top all in, this is enough information on the hand, the rest is unimportant.

Anyway so I decided to look into the push and see if it had a positive expectation. Up until this point it had not crossed my mind that reraisng all in with JJ could be a bad move, but now I am not so sure. My calcualtion came out as 50.5%/49.5% in favour of the Jacks.

I would be interested to know people views on JJ, and I would be happy (reluctantly), to post full details of my calculation (UTG raising requirements and calling standards) for cross examination.

I also appreciate this is an easy decision to make on level 4 at Party, however Stars plays significantly different in my opinion.

Regards Mack

SixgunSam
10-28-2004, 10:41 AM
I hate to push all-in with jacks, because you are more than likely going against AA-QQ or AK-AQ if you are called. I will raise with them, but I won't call a re-raise.

Don't get my wrong, I think JJ is a great hand and I will try to win a pot with them, but I think you see them overplayed because they are face cards. I would rather take JJ to a flop than AK, but I would much rather be all-in with AK.

ilya
10-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Hmm, I don't think this is an "easy decision" on level 4 at Party. Sometimes I will re-raise with them. Sometimes I will flat call. Sometimes I will fold. I actually think it's one of the harder decisions.

Eder
10-28-2004, 01:25 PM
I like playing JJ agressively in later stages, but at the stage of tourney you were in I believe your opponent knew you and realized he could make you lay down most hands therefore the push. Against a random opponent I'm sure he just calls your raise.
He played it well, but was lucky to suck out after running into your monster..

mackthefork
10-28-2004, 01:29 PM
You are right I have gone broke with JJ more times than i would care to remember. Easy is the wrong word, i usually have 500 by level 4 though so they have to go in the middle.

Regards Mack

mackthefork
10-28-2004, 01:32 PM
He knows I would put down many hands, I also have an extensive note on this player, and I would call him with AK, AA, KK and QQ.

Regards Mack