PDA

View Full Version : Moving to 5/10 6 max

Fnord
10-28-2004, 08:53 AM
Given that I don't care much for the table texture of 3/6, I've been trying my hand at the Party 5/10 6 max game. Previously I have nearly 30k hands of winning 2/4, a few hands of 3/6, some PS .5/1 & 1/2 6 max and some Party 1/2 6 max experience.

Anyway, I'm up over 100BB on my first 1k hands and off to a good start...

Some observations from a rank newbie:

My god these guys suck! But not in the annoying 1/2 limp + call with random aggression mixed in sort of way. A nice mix of "fit or fold", calling stations, maniacs and just plain bad players. So far I've only run into a couple pretty good aggressive players and with so many small tables it's easy enough to get out of Dodge. Fun tables for a thinking player.

The vast majority of players have either silly or too tight of open-raising standards.

Still getting used to the thinner 3-bet standards. I feel dirty 3-betting AJs in the CO after UTG open raises. When my offsuit broadways get 3-bet I'm still going into instinctive "oh #$*% I ran into a hand" mode.

Surprised by the lack of aggression I'm seeing on the turn. With the exception of maniacs, most players are slowing way down on the expensive streets compared to 2/4. Although, maybe it was just the folks I ran into.

Anyway, so far my stats that converge quickly are:
26% VP$IP
18% PFR
37.5% Att to Steal
71% fold SB to Steal
73% fold BB to Steal

Agg:

Little LAggy compared to some of the posts I looked up, but my hot run of cards probably inflated these numbers a bit.

A simple enough question:

So I dug up some old posts and read the HEFAP's short handed section. In the process I found a pretty good SB defense range posted by Nate. However, I couldn't find much hard data on a good BB defense range. I probably should be defending more often since I'm less likely to run into massive amounts of high card power than I would at a full table.

Between the forced bets and the Button/CO's auto flop bet you have pretty good implied odds, so the suited connectors + pocket pairs are easy picks. Throw in the suited Aces and the stronger suited Kings + Queens + Jacks. Add hands I would play from other positions as well (and 3-bet many of those?) So that gets me in the ~25% range.

What else should I be picking up? How should I be adjusting my range in response to my opponents?

Thanks in advance for your replies and the wealth of information I've already mined from here.

spider
10-28-2004, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

71% fold SB to Steal
73% fold BB to Steal

[/ QUOTE ]
Typo? SB folding should be higher, like 80-85%. BB folding should be lower, somewhere around 50%. Actually, there is quite a bit of leeway on either of these -- depending on your style -- but I think you are outside of those bounds. Regardless of your style, the pot odds say you are going to fold much more from SB than BB, especially with the 2/5 structure.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I'm up over 100BB on my first 1k hands and off to a good start...
My god these guys suck!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. Of course you have to be ready for the flip side when the bad players hit a lot of hands against you in one session. Going from 3/6 to 5/10/6m I found the tilt factor to be much greater. Much, much greater.

And your style is towards LAG, so that is not exactly reducing variance.

naphand
10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bush Good, Kerry Bad!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Fun tables for a thinking player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only assume you are not referring to yourself.

Scotch78
10-29-2004, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can only assume you are not referring to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you wondered why I picked you out for your fury!

Scott