PDA

View Full Version : Pokertracker database yahoo group

myrth
10-27-2004, 10:49 PM
this group was just created to allow us to pool our pokertracker databases.

group -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ptdb

i am restricting this group to an "invite only" mode. the reason i am doing this is that if you want access to the databases you need to first send your database to ptdb-owner@yahoogroups.com then i will include you in the list which will allow you to download all the databases that are currently collected. i think this will allow us to weed out the leaches. to get the databases, you need to give a database.

i think the format of the database name should be <username>_<date>. example : myrth_20041027.mdb

please compress your database before sending. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

if anyone has any ideas/thoughts about this, please post or e-mail. thanks.

-myrth

BusterStacks
10-28-2004, 12:02 AM
filename should include the site and limit as well. Get this ironed out and I'm in. I have some huge DB's...

brandon
10-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Whats the max file size you can accept?

Bit torrents might be a better way to share these databases.

Also, it takes a long time to import big databases. Took me 30 hours to import a 400 meg history(its was 40megs compressed).

sillyarms
10-28-2004, 08:18 AM
I'll send mine if you can tell me how. My database is pretty big it's over 650mb compressed and my email client will not accept attachments this big. So, tell me how to get it there and I'm in.

silly

Luv2DriveTT
10-28-2004, 08:57 AM
In case you guys didn't realize, you don't have to do this anymore. Just open up the PT client, and capture hands at tables. Its that simple, just change the tables periodically overnight if you want a huge database.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

greg nice
10-28-2004, 09:33 AM
i HIHGLY doubt yahoogroups.com will allow you to receive attachments that large. your invite only idea is flawed.

myrth
10-28-2004, 09:47 AM
ahh, i didn't realize that the databases were going to be so huge - even compressed!

perhaps i'll need to open up a server for ftp access. i'll look into bit torrent - does anyone know if we can restrict access? i really think that this should be a closed network so leeches don't rip down everything without giving back...

-myrth

myrth
10-28-2004, 09:49 AM
you're correct about yahoo not allowing these huge files...this was my mistake.

but, i'm quite positive that the invite only idea isn't flawed. why open it up to everyone to download these files if they haven't given one first?

-myrth

nykenny
10-28-2004, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ahh, i didn't realize that the databases were going to be so huge - even compressed!

perhaps i'll need to open up a server for ftp access. i'll look into bit torrent - does anyone know if we can restrict access? i really think that this should be a closed network so leeches don't rip down everything without giving back...

-myrth

[/ QUOTE ]

good luck.

if you want to provide a service then provide it; if you want to gain information, YOU have to provide some good information first.

leeches? what harsh word for people who will just want to study a bit while without the ability or qualification to contribute...

Tekari
10-28-2004, 10:47 AM
how do you capture hands at tables that you are not sitting at?

Happy Hour
10-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Am I the only one that has a problem with this kind of thing? It just seems to be a step closer toward making online poker not so profitable.

I dunno, I think this is a little bit of greed that, while not going kill the goose, might give it a bump on the head.

Something else to think about: What if there is someone out there who, like me, disagrees with this kind of thing, and starts distributing corrupt copies of databases into these pools? It would be fairly simple to change all the names around randomly. Not saying I am doing this, but it could, and probably will, happen.

BusterStacks
10-28-2004, 06:15 PM
I can set up the ftp if you want

10-28-2004, 06:39 PM
I feel a reluctance to trade my full history--all the information about my play /images/graemlins/shocked.gif--somehow this sticks in my craw. Am I the only one????

astroglide
10-28-2004, 07:09 PM
What if there is someone out there who, like me, disagrees with this kind of thing, and starts distributing corrupt copies of databases into these pools? It would be fairly simple to change all the names around randomly. Not saying I am doing this, but it could, and probably will, happen.

that's a really good idea. if this sort of thing takes off i will do it.

mephisto2000
10-28-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel a reluctance to trade my full history--all the information about my play /images/graemlins/shocked.gif--somehow this sticks in my craw. Am I the only one????

[/ QUOTE ]
Just make a copy of the DB and purge your own data before submitting the database.

Fudomyo
10-29-2004, 07:54 PM
It looks like PokerEdge does this as a service.

I kinna wanted to do the same thing with PokerOffice, since it runs on MySql. Their db a little better designed imho. I was just going to send out a notes.txt to have PP use, seems easier than reemailing a huge db around.

$0.02
Fudo