PDA

View Full Version : Who made the bigger bubble mistake?

KHALI
10-27-2004, 08:58 PM
The result of this hand isn't important but I have been wondering about how correct/incorrect this play was. I recently read a post by Sklansky where he talks about pushing with QJ from UTG and why it is correct to do so. Do I have very little folding equity from the blinds due to their stack size and commitment to the pot already? I pushed thinking the big blind would fold based on his situation relative to the small stack but obviously I figured wrong. Would you fold here and try to limp into the money knowing the small stack is all in within the next three hands or do you feel a move is necessary because I will be facing the blinds in the next two hands and would have to put in over 1/2 my stack then? Any thoughts appreciated.
Bison converter didn't like this hand so sorry.

Game #626227486 (Level IX, Game #1) - 500/1,000 No Limit Texas Hold'em - 2004/10/27-18:21:53 (CST)
Table "Daydream" ($10 tournament) -- Seat 4 is the button
Seat 2: Hero (2,055.00 in chips)
Seat 4: Bigstack (4,364.00 in chips)
Seat 7: smallstack (1,355.00 in chips)
Seat 10: Enemy (2,226.00 in chips)
smallstack : Post Small Blind (500) He has 855 left
Enemy: Post Big Blind (1,000) He has 1055 left
Dealing...
Dealt to Hero [ As ]
Dealt to Hero [ 4s ]
Hero: Raise (2,055)
Bigstack: Fold
smallstack : Fold
Enemy: Call (1,055)
smallstack said, "nb"
*** FLOP *** : [ Th 6c Jh ]
*** TURN *** : [ Th 6c Jh ] [ Qc ]
*** RIVER *** : [ Th 6c Jh Qc ] [ 7s ]
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: 4,610 | Board: [ Th 6c Jh Qc 7s ]
Hero lost 2,055 (showed hand) [ As 4s ] (high card ace)
Bigstack didn't bet (folded)
smallstack lost 500 (folded)
Enemy bet 2,055, collected 4,610, net +2,555 (showed hand) [ 8c Qh ] (a pair of queens)

willperkins
10-27-2004, 09:12 PM
I too, would have pushed in your situation. With the blinds coming, and the size of your stack, you have to make a play at the pot with better than average hand.

If I had been Enemy, I would not have called that bet with his "slightly better than average Q8". I would not even push with his hand unless I was in the small blind and was trying to blow out the big blind.

You got all of your chips in and were a 3 to 2 favorite to beat him. Thats better than waiting for the blinds to rip your stack to shreds.

ChrisV
10-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Allin is correct as otherwise if short stack folds you will be in a bad spot in the next BB.

However the suggestion that the Enemy should fold is dead wrong. Unless he goes allin in the SB he will be left with 500 chips and no chance of anything except sneaking into 3rd. The fold loses around 720 chips in chip EV for very little gain. If he calls and wins he will almost certainly make 2nd and has a 50% shot at 1st if he does.

Even folding 3c 2h represents an unacceptable chip EV loss of nearly 400 chips.

This is one of those situations where you are both forced into action by the giant blinds. The "short stack" isnt really a short stack because he has just finished posting the blinds.