PDA

View Full Version : How would you play this hand?

DownLow
10-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Opinions please on the play of the following hand. Early in the tournament, no reads yet:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 (t1125)
MP2 (t1600)
<font color="C00000">CO (t1700)</font>
Button (t3050)
SB (t1730)
BB (t1160)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t1450)</font>
UTG+1 (t1685)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t90, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t225) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, CO calls t120.

Turn: (t465) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (t465) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t490</font>, Hero calls t370.

Final Pot: t1445

My thinking on each street was something like this:
Preflop: OK, a coldcall from a later position, OK he probably has a decent hand, Ax or PP.

Flop. Just a call on a bet that is fairly small bet relative to the pot. Maybe he has a weak ace and is too worried about his kicker to reraise.

Turn. I am shutting down, thinking he has a weak ace. Then he checks behind me. Slowplay or weakness? After this check I don't really know where I am.

River. OK, there's the third ace. This gives me a fairly strong full house. If he is on a PP rather than the fourth ace, I probably have him beat. I lay out a small bet and I am reraised.

Comments anyone? Results come later.

TheDrone
10-27-2004, 07:52 PM
I would suspect a lower PP too, but even before the river. I don't know many players who would just call your flop bet and check the turn with Ax. Some kind of raise on the flop (min raise here seems pretty common on the $10 tables) is more likely for that holding.

Your smallish flop bet was good because you don't want a lower PP to fold - you extracted some value. I would do it again on the turn for the same reason.

kurosh
10-27-2004, 07:57 PM
For an unknown player, I would give him credit for quad aces. Typical players like to slowplay trips and there aren't any draws out there. It's extremely unlikely but his betting pattern seems to suggest it.

ChrisV
10-27-2004, 10:58 PM
It looks like quad aces to me, but a smaller PP is likely enough that I think you have to call.