PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 Heads up with TAG

na4bart
10-27-2004, 06:47 PM
The player in question rarely gets out of line and most always has a hand when leading.

Somewhat loose MP open raises LP calls, I call with 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button. SB (TAG) calls, BB completes.

Flop: T /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

TAG leads, MP folds, LP folds, I raise, TAG calls

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

TAG leads into me and I think he really has a hand. I also know he knows I have something I like. If I just call and trap him I gain 1BB on the end if he hasn't a strong hand and check calls or leads and folds to a raise. Or raise right on the turn and hope he has a hand where I can win multiple BB's. If he has a big draw he calls the raise here also. I raised, he mucked. Comments.

flytrap
10-27-2004, 07:42 PM
I like your play. If he's going to fold to a turn raise, he may have check-folded the river, because as a TAG he's probably been observing your play, and know's if you call twice he better not bet his ak or aq or whatever on the river. Another reason to raise the turn is that I don't want a scare card to come on the river, that might make him check/call. AQ, J, T, or 7 could scare him into check/calling. The 8 probably didn't look like it helped you, as the only hands he has to worry about are a full house or quads, or maybe a straight. You swung for the fences, and lost out on a bet this time, but there's no assurance that you gain a bet on the river if you just call. Nice play, too bad he didn't have AA or even TT.

ShamaLamDingDong
10-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Call and raise the river he is showing weakness by leading into you again maybe a T or 9. Even if most of the time he check calls the river, theres still a chacne hell hit some card on the river that he bets and hes rarely check folding the river.

SHAMA LAMA...DING DONG!

na4bart
10-27-2004, 11:39 PM
I find it difficult to take seriously anything from a handle like shamalamadingdong. I understand this is my my own personal predjudice, but still can't get out of my own way. May be others like me. How about changing your handle in the interest of making discussion easier on this forum. No flame intended or implied. Do need more comments on this hand as both yes and no leave me in the same position when I posted.

joeboss
10-28-2004, 12:03 AM
hahaha
come on give him some credit, he did post over 40 times today

na4bart
10-28-2004, 12:07 AM
That explains it.

mplspoker
10-28-2004, 02:44 AM
I wouldn't even consider the idea of calling and trying to raise the river. He could have an over pair, a set, a flush draw or straight draw. none of them are folding on the turn to a raise. You never know you may get 3 bet on turn by a big pair or set. If he is just throwing out money to steal, you aren't going to get any action on river anyway. Good play in my opinion regardless of opponent. Slowing playing something big typically creates a smaller pot 1 on 1......... my thoughts.

AlwaysWrong
10-28-2004, 05:34 AM
From the TAG's POV, you could easily have been raising the flop for a free card. That he didn't 3-bet flop suggests he has no more than 1 pair, though it could be an overpair. He led on the turn to stop the free card. When you raised the turn he knew you had a made hand, not a draw, and that it was probably better than one pair.

I think in this situation it would be quite reasonable to call on the turn, representing that you ARE on the straight draw as he thought. Hopefully that draw misses, and you get him for another bet or two on the river.

Raising seems like a fine option as well, because he could be on pair + draw, in which case he'll call your raise, or (less likely due to not 3-betting flop) an overcard pair or two pair.

If you just call you can also hope he makes his full house on the river.

I think call and raise are both fine here. I'd probably call..