PDA

View Full Version : Make the Case that FoxNews promotes a "Conservative" Agenda

adios
10-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Well? My guess is that they actually provide some air time for the "coservative" point of view.

LaggyLou
10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
http://www.oreilly-sucks.com/foxbias.htm

What're you gonna believe? The "fair and balanced" slogan or your own lying eyes?

Dynasty
10-27-2004, 07:02 PM
The main reason FoxNews appears biased towards the Republicans and conservatives is because we compmare Fox's news coverage to the rest of the media. Fox maybe ideologically biased and it may not. But, whether they are or not, they are going to appear that way because there is no doubt they are considerably to the right of the rest of the media.

Try to visualize an ideological spectrum. On the far left is point 0- the most liberal poiint possible. On the far right is point 100- the most conservative point possible. Point 50 in the middle is the ideal "objective" point.

Where whould you put CBS News, FoxNews, and the New York Times?

TomCollins
10-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Interesting link, although I couldn't find a single article that showed the agenda.

Make a case for yourself, or at least point me in the right direction.

You might as well have said go to "www.google.com".

The question is not whether or not fox is further right than other networks, or at least more sympathetic to the right.

goofball
10-27-2004, 07:22 PM
i would put fox news at a 75
air america a 10
npr 25
cnn, nbc, abc all between 45 and 55 depending on the issue etc.
i don't watn enough cbs or read any new york times.

wacki
10-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Shep Smith and the G-Block are a 50 (perfectly nuetral) as far as I can tell.

O'reilly, I can't decide sometimes he seems like he's a 30, other times he seems like a 65 to me. I guess it depends on the mood. I've seen him really lay into Bush, but I've never seen him lay into Kerry real hard. I don't blame him he has conflict of interest. If he's too hard on the guests he can't get them on. It's hard enough for him to get certain left wingers on so whenever he does he tends he doesn't lay into them as much as he could. I've seen countless interviews where he could lay into some guests with information I know he knows but doesn't. It's nothing to bad though. He always allows Dems and republicans on and does the show fairly. Still I think it's around nuetral.

Beltway boys.... 80-90. They are hardcore right wingers.

Hannity and Colms. Hannity drives the show, but Colms is just as much as a left wing nut as Colms. Since Hannity dominates I have to say 55, but anyone with a brain can see through his bull. They still run the show fairly. Leftys and rightys both get their chances.

I don't watch anything else on fox.

wacki
10-27-2004, 07:28 PM
I put CNN as 15-20. In fact it has a nick name... it's the communist news network.

NYT... Considering they call Bush and everyone else in the government the "radical right" I have to give them a 20-30.

Friedman (of the NYT's) is good though, I give him a 40.

My scale 90 = useless right news
0/100 = flat out lies.

10 = useless left news

20 = rarely usefull left news
80 = " " right "
30= sometimes usefull left news
70= " " right "
40 = usefull left news
60 = usefull left news

wacki
10-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Sorry if Dynasty and my posts hijack your thread adios. I'll stop on that subject.

LaggyLou
10-27-2004, 07:57 PM
I hesitate even to respond to someone who is so in denial about Fox that he thinks that the piece with made-up Kerry quotes that showed up on Fox's website was "done by one of their personalities who is a known conservative". Hint: It was written by the REPORTER assigned to cover the Kerry campaign. So either (1) Fox is using a "personality who is a known conservative" as a hard news reporter, which gives away the store right there; or (2) its hard news reporters are biased, and Fox cares not a whit (I note that the guy in question was not reassigned, nor was he disciplined, as far as we know).

That having been said, a good indication of the agenda comes in many of the internal Fox memos available here:

http://www.wonkette.com/archives/fox-news-memos-the-whole-batch-017613.php

anatta
10-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Hey Wacki, you once wrote: [ QUOTE ]
It must really pain you guys to know that Fox News is the most watched news network

[/ QUOTE ] When you wrote this, I assumed that you were saying Fox had more viewers, and I agreed with this. I wondered how CNN claimed that more people watch CNN. Well, CNN was right and I was wrong, Fox has fewer viewers, they watch longer, but CNN has higher number of viewers. This one reason why CNN charges more for their ads. So Fox has fewer, buy much more "faithful" viewers. CNN has more people watching them on any given day.

So its a myth that Fox is more popular than CNN. Were you aware that more people actually watch the Communist News Network?

http://www.fair.org/extra/0404/fox-ratings.html

wacki
10-27-2004, 08:11 PM
If the total man hours of watching fox is larger than the total man hours of CNN then I don't see anything wrong with Fox's slogan. But I do see you point.

I have heard more people watch CNN. I haven't looked at the stats..... yet.

wacki
10-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Here is some quotes from O'reilly:

"On the media side, Fox News Channel has stunned the television industry by beating Rather, Jennings and Brokaw, as well as our cable competition on Tuesday night. Of course, many media analysts are spinning the ratings, saying that Fox is a Republican outlet, blah, blah, blah.

But during the Democratic convention, The Factor easily won its time slot against CNN and MSNBC. Do you know how many TV writers pointed that out? None. As far as our research can tell, none."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131373,00.html

On occasion Fox beats CNN, and they like to point that out. But others don't. Of course, Fox doesn't like to point out other beat them, but they do on occasion. I don't have a big problem with that really.

What I have a problem with is when papers like the NYT's call our government and the Bush administration the "radical right". They might as well call them the christian Taliban.

10-27-2004, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I have a problem with is when papers like the NYT's call our government and the Bush administration the "radical right". They might as well call them the christian Taliban.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are they not on the radical right in American politics? What other administration in recent memory has been more right wing? What other descriptive label would better encapsulate their policies, in your opinion? Calling this administration the radical right is the correct description.

TomCollins
10-27-2004, 11:23 PM
So people put on CNN for a few minutes and get bored and change the channel. Wow amazing, it is so popular.

TomCollins
10-27-2004, 11:24 PM
So all reporters aren't allowed to tell a joke every now and then? The worst it did was make fun of Kerry's tan. Oh wow! That will sway lots of voters. They apologized and it was quickly removed. Quite a different story than C-BS.

LaggyLou
10-27-2004, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So all reporters aren't allowed to tell a joke every now and then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said that? I said that (1) you were wrong about it being a "personality that is a known conservative"; and (2) Fox's failure to replace (or even to discipline) the reporter and the memos were evidence the "FoxNews promotes a 'Conservative' Agenda". Your "response" refutes none of this; rather, it appears that you want to change the subject. Given the position you've taken, I don't blame you.

wacki
10-28-2004, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How are they not on the radical right in American politics? What other administration in recent memory has been more right wing? What other descriptive label would better encapsulate their policies, in your opinion? Calling this administration the radical right is the correct description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush is religious, that much is obvious. Pick up the Bible and read Romans. That is radical christian right. List the policies of the Bush administration that you think are radical right wing and we can argue, otherwise this is a waste of time.

adios
10-28-2004, 06:03 AM
You haven't made the case in the least that FoxNews has a convervative agenda.

adios
10-28-2004, 06:07 AM
Soon 1111 will be objecting to the question posed /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

LaggyLou
10-28-2004, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You haven't made the case in the least that FoxNews has a convervative agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Indeed, none are so blind as those who will not see.

I've pointed to specific actions by Fox and specific Fox documents. Your bare denial, in the face of this evidence, while certainly shoiwng your deep and abiding faith in all things Murdoch, does not constitute a rebuttal of that evidence.

So why did you even post the question if your mind is already closed?

adios
10-28-2004, 09:00 AM
All you've posted is a link. That's not making a case that FoxNews promotes a conservative agenda. I can post links that state just the opposite and state that the major news outlets promote a liberal agenda. I'm sure that wouldn't constitute proof in your mind that the major news outlets promote a liberal agenda.

The once and future king
10-28-2004, 09:07 AM
Maybe the fact that it is owned by Rurpert Murdoch is an arch Conservative who has admited to using the media he owns to promote hiw world view and political stance.

adios
10-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Does that same criteria apply to the NY Times who is owned by a liberal? If so fair enough.

MMMMMM
10-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Well...CNN is owned by an "arch-liberal". Better yet, an "arch-leftist".

The once and future king
10-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Does that mean Fox isnt biased ?

MMMMMM
10-28-2004, 09:48 AM
I think Fox is indeed somewhat biased in it's opinion shows, but as for it's actual news reporting, I think it might be [slightly biased--though certainly not as much as NYT or CNN.

The once and future king
10-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Its hard for me to comment not being exposed to those media. All I know is that Rupert Murdochs newpapers are extrmely influential in British politics nad he has no qualms about using them as mouth peices.

I think it would be hard for a someone with a particular bias themselves (which we all have) to pick up on that same bias in any given newsmedia as one would just assume the newsmedia was reporting the facts as they are as such.

wacki
10-28-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the fact that it is owned by Rurpert Murdoch is an arch Conservative who has admited to using the media he owns to promote hiw world view and political stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the CEO of Fox was campaigning with Kerry. Also, if you count the number of people at Fox that donated to a political party, the democratic donaters out number the republican donators. Most of the people working for Fox are liberals.

If we judge Fox as liberal/conservative by who works there, then Fox is a liberal news media.

CarlSpackler
10-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I’ll preface this by saying, like I’ve said before, I think Fox News’ business model is genius. They slant significantly to the right, which no major news channel has done. They claim to be ‘fair and balanced,’ and launch preemptive strikes at the other news organizations, labeling them as liberal. They do an excellent job of putting their competitors on the defensive.

I wouldn’t say they have a conservative bias, I would say they have a neo-conservative bias. If you really think about, every news organization is going to be biased to some degree. Many are not very biased, and others like the New York Times and Fox News are very biased. I don’t think there is anything wrong with this. The problem arises, however, when consumers are either not intelligent enough to be aware of this bias, aren’t aware enough to notice the bias, or are simply mentally dishonest with themselves.

The original poster wants “proof,” of this neo-conservative bias. Try this. Visit the homepage for foxnews.com everyday, and scroll down all the way to the bottom to the Fox News 24/7 section. There are articles here by O’Reilly, Hume, etc. Keep track of the amount of pro-conservative dialogue vs. pro-liberal dialogue everyday. It’s not even close to 50/50.

elwoodblues
10-28-2004, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But the CEO of Fox was campaigning with Kerry. Also, if you count the number of people at Fox that donated to a political party, the democratic donaters out number the republican donators. Most of the people working for Fox are liberals.

If we judge Fox as liberal/conservative by who works there, then Fox is a liberal news media.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why claims of liberal media bias that are supported by studies showing the number of liberal reporters are silly.

10-28-2004, 09:04 PM
I object to this question even being posed. Clearly the NY Times is not biased and Bush is the leader of a massive right wing conspiracy of.........you guessed it, vampires.

But seriously, his judicial appointments, his choosing of Ashcroft -- who is truly a radical -- his moralistic and petty uses of the concepts of good and evil, his taxation policies, his desire to amend the constitution against gay marriage...these are but a few examples that place him to the far right of his party.

KJS
10-28-2004, 11:15 PM
The post is not about the NY Times.

KJS