PDA

View Full Version : Any poker magazines worth subscribing to?

DocMartin
10-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Was thinking of getting a poker mag, title says it all.

Tom Bayes
10-27-2004, 03:36 PM
1. You can read the articles from CardPlayer for free at www.cardplayer.com (http://www.cardplayer.com), so no reason to subscribe unless they remove the articles from the internet.
2. I foolishly subscribed to "All-In" Magazine. "All-In" is great if you like surprises; you won't see an issue for months, assume the magazine folded, and then an issue magically appears in your mailbox. I've gotten 2 issues so far and who knows if issue #3 will ever come? "All-In" also seems way too tilted towards players affliated with Full Tilt to the extent that I sometimes think the magazine was created mainly to shill FT when it first came online.
3. I bought one issue of a poker magazine called "Avery Cardoza's Player Magazine" at a newsstand. It was fluff and I don't know if it still exists.

So, apparently my answer is NO.

Leavenfish
10-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Depends on what you are looking for.

Pick up a copy of CARD PLAYER at your local Borders, give it a good read and judge for yourself. The price has come WAY down and it has a frequency of 26x I believe. It's so frequent that if one issue does not float your boat, the next very well might!

I agree with the other fella about PLAYER. It's a giant ad for Vegas, lots of fluff articles. Not worth much in my opinion.

There is a new one called BLUFF which we have just began to distribute. I've only one issue to go on, but it's not too bad for a first effort. I think it's only 6x so I won't form a definite opinion until I see another issue. The 6x marks it for the more casual reader...or the type who enjoys the WPT over the WSOP telecasts, but the first issue wasn't too bad.

Of these, I prefer CARD PLAYER.

---Leavenfish

DocMartin
10-28-2004, 01:14 AM
ok, so the best poker mag is free on the net. Bummer, I suppose theres other things to waste my winnings on.

BradleyT
10-28-2004, 01:38 AM
They started getting CP at my local B&M. I read it online every two weeks when they release the new articles. So while I'm sitting there waiting to get on a juicy table, I pick up a CP Mag that's laying around. I don't recall any articles in it that I hadn't read online earlier in the week. I was pretty shocked because usually online mags will skip on a few of the most important articles as an incentive to get you to subscribe.

Tron
10-28-2004, 03:46 AM
If you deposit 30 bucks at PokerRoom before Halloween you get 7 issues of Card Player for free. Something to think about.

mistrpug
10-28-2004, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. I foolishly subscribed to "All-In" Magazine. "All-In" is great if you like surprises; you won't see an issue for months, assume the magazine folded, and then an issue magically appears in your mailbox. I've gotten 2 issues so far and who knows if issue #3 will ever come? "All-In" also seems way too tilted towards players affliated with Full Tilt to the extent that I sometimes think the magazine was created mainly to shill FT when it first came online.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that All-in is bi-monthly, right? It took forever for me to get the first one, but the second one came pretty quickly.

Leavenfish
10-28-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, so the best poker mag is free on the net. Bummer, I suppose theres other things to waste my winnings on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...but there is nothing like relaxing in the bath with a good magazine. Bath, Dr's office, lunch break at work, etc...any place you are likely to absorb infomation better than on a computer screen.

---Leavenfish

Tom Bayes
10-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Yes, I realize that All-In is (supposedly) a bi-monthly magazine. I did not receive Issue #1 (Moneymaker cover)with the "WSOP Preview" until sometime in late June/early July after the WSOP was over, although before ESPN started televising the episodes.

Issue #2 (Affleck cover) was dated August/September IIRC and I received it in late September, which is odd because with most magazines you actually receive the issue or can buy it at a newsstand before that date.

I have not yet received an Issue #3, which should be the October/November issue.

Well, OK, I guess you are right /images/graemlins/blush.gif. It looks like maybe I am getting my copies every 2 months. I was just put off by the rather long delay in getting Issue #1 (I thought for a while it would never come) and the incessant pimping of all Full Tilt players (Gordon, Jesus, etc.). Of course, ESPN is guilty of this too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

This magazine had better improve a lot and stay on schedule if they expect me to renew my subscription.

Lottery Larry
10-28-2004, 03:20 PM
"Yes, I realize that All-In is (supposedly) a bi-monthly magazine. I did not receive Issue #1 (Moneymaker cover)with the "WSOP Preview" until sometime in late June/early July after the WSOP was over, although before ESPN started televising the episodes.

Issue #2 (Affleck cover) was dated August/September IIRC and I received it in late September, which is odd because with most magazines you actually receive the issue or can buy it at a newsstand before that date.

I have not yet received an Issue #3, which should be the October/November issue."

That's really weird- it sounds exactly like what happened to me with Live Action Poker magazine. Same first two cover players and all, about the same delivery schedule.
Of course, LAPM has been folded and replaced by 5th Street Magazine, which is supposed to start my "new" 12-month subscription in January 2005

DukeSucks
10-28-2004, 08:44 PM
I saw Cardplayer at Wal-Mart today, so you can try there if you can't find it at your local bookstore.