PDA

View Full Version : ATM Woes - has this ever happened to you?

Sponger15SB
10-27-2004, 01:55 PM
So on friday afternoon I withdrew $300 to go play poker with. I then deposited $450 in cash through the ATM the next day.

Then on sunday morning I went and did another $300 withdrawl but found I didn't have $300 in my account, so I did a direct deposit advance for $300 ($30 charge...bah! but my brother is a teller for wells so we will see what he can pull) and then ended up depositing $600 through the ATM again at night.

So I check my wells fargo account online and find that the $450 deposit isn't there, but the $600 deposit it!

I just called wells and they are doing like an investigation or whatever it is and trying to find my money.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Am I screwed? The guy on the phone seemed pretty optimistic when I asked but whatever...

Oh yeah and of course I didn't keep my ATM reciept.

andyfox
10-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Couldn't quite follow the action, but I assume your bank, like most, subtracts your withdrawals from your available balance the moment it happens. But a deposit made on Saturday won't be credited to your account until the close of business on Monday.

And if you were going to play again on Sunday, why deposit the money on Friday?

Sponger15SB
10-27-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't quite follow the action, but I assume your bank, like most, subtracts your withdrawals from your available balance the moment it happens. But a deposit made on Saturday won't be credited to your account until the close of business on Monday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically I made a $450 that they say doesn't exist for at least they time being. And it troubles me because I made a $600 deposit 2 days after it.

[ QUOTE ]

And if you were going to play again on Sunday, why deposit the money on Friday?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't quite planning on playing on sunday, plus it kinda bothers me to have a lot of money in my house with 7 roomates in a college town where people love to walk into our unlocked house and steal things.

beerbandit
10-27-2004, 02:18 PM
what andy said about the deopsits is true though, and i understand your situation about wanting to deposit it. id prbably spend all mine at the bar though.

when you deposit it into the atm machine the envelope that the cash is in has some [censored] printed on it you can hear it. this should be your account information and also when they checking the deposits and refilling the cash machine it should seem obvious that something isnt right.

i think youll be ok----banks have much more devious ways of stealing your money.

cheers
beer

pudley4
10-27-2004, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So on friday afternoon I withdrew $300 to go play poker with. I then deposited $450 in cash through the ATM the next day.

Then on sunday morning I went and did another $300 withdrawl but found I didn't have $300 in my account, so I did a direct deposit advance for $300 ($30 charge...bah! but my brother is a teller for wells so we will see what he can pull) and then ended up depositing $600 through the ATM again at night.

So I check my wells fargo account online and find that the $450 deposit isn't there, but the $600 deposit it!

I just called wells and they are doing like an investigation or whatever it is and trying to find my money.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Am I screwed? The guy on the phone seemed pretty optimistic when I asked but whatever...

Oh yeah and of course I didn't keep my ATM reciept.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to work at a bank. It happnes more often than you'd think. They'll get it resolved within a couple of days.

The ATM counts all of the deposits/envelopes that it takes in. When it's serviced, the security guard (or bank employee depending on location) opens the ATM and pulls out the envelopes and counts them. If there is a discrepancy, they'll recount and also go back through the machine looking for the missing envelope. We had one lady who somehow managed to get her envelope into the slot the cash was dispensed from /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sponger15SB
10-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Cool. Thank you Jeff.

Mars357
10-27-2004, 07:44 PM
If the deposet you don't have the recipt for was cash, I'm pretty sure you're [censored].