PDA

View Full Version : How to play a "rush" of medium hands

Kerplunk
10-27-2004, 01:38 PM
This question sorta goes along with my earlier one about playing rushes of good cards.

One of the more frustrating situations for me is when I get tons and tons of medium, marginally good hands. What qualifies as medium depends on situation, but I mean generally those hands that are playable or seem like they could be best at a given time, but could get you into trouble or tricky spots. It's why many people I know are more comfortable with JTs than JJ. It's not a better hand, per se, but it's easier to play. Of course, those marginal hands are to be expected, but it just sucks when you get an unending string of them; you feel like you can't get going and every decision is more difficult than it should be.

I guess the easy answer is to mix it up. Fold some, play some. Any other thoughts? Should I be looking at it differently, perhaps try to trap more?

Thanks for any insights

BottlesOf
10-27-2004, 01:58 PM
This is not a good way to think about hands. If the hand is playable in a certain situation, then play it. If it's +EV to play it, then play it. Period. Don't "mix it up" by folding slightly profitable hands, b/c it would be tricky to do so. If you're uncomfortable with this, it's ok. You've come to the right place.

Dov
10-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Don't lump all of your hands together into 'rushes'. Play each card as it comes, one decision at a time.

If you have a table image problem then you need to deal with it independently of the cards.

Dov