PDA

View Full Version : Reraising the paired door card with one pair

05-17-2002, 12:18 AM
New to this online game, played about a dozen hands, and have never seen any of these players before.

I have split Queens on 5th with live Ace, Jack and 8 kickers, I also have a fairly live hearts 3 flush.

We are 3 handed and my opponents are showing (player A) 2d5d2h and (player B) Kc4s3s. Several diamdonds and a King are dead.

A checks, B checks, I bet, A check raises, B folds. I have a very limited sample size, but it seems to me that A is unlikely to have played split 2s here. And if he did have trips he would surely have bet out or smooth called, hoping to trap player B.

So i reraise and then raise on 6th still holding the 1 pair, when he hit a non threatening looking 9c.

Both players checked the river. Results coming...

Is it far too soon to be making such impressions of a player, particualrly in an online game? I would do this sort of thing all the time in a live game with people i knew, but think perhaps it's a little too soon to be dancing on the edge of the cliff in this situation.

Thoughts, comments, praise and abuse all welcome.

05-17-2002, 02:19 AM
Has a set.

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

05-17-2002, 08:38 AM
in my experience players who check raise on fifth usually can beat two pair. the other problem for you is that if he has a fourflush with a pair he is still a solid favorite aginst you heads up. if he has a low straight draw he is also a favorite. so you are raising with the hopes that he has virtually nothing except for possible a pair in the hole. you dont say what the action was up to fifth street so it is tough for us to figure if he might have this hand. you also dont say what the limit is but if it is below 10-20 it is a fold.

Pat

05-18-2002, 11:32 PM
It turns out he has a 4 flush (quite dead) and a pair of 2s and didn't help. Neither did I, and my Queens took it down.

The reason i posted is that normally i would never make such a play against someone unknown to me. Also, in the games i have played recently, players seem to be too scared of the paired door card. Fine if it is a high pair then fold, but far too often i see people folding to a raise from a hand like 6sTs6h, particularly when there has been substantial 3rd street and 4th street action creating a big pot.

This player has a 4 flush, or a big pair in the hole 95% of the time in my experience. The rest of the time he either has next to nothing, or he started rolled up and now has quads. It is very rare for the majority of players to wear a lot of raising with a small split pair, even if they do have a big suited kicker.

Of course if they have a 4 flush and a pair they may well hold an edge, but in cases like this where my cards are live and my opponents are dead, there is nothing wrong with exerting a little extra pressure.