PDA

View Full Version : XBox or PS2??

namknils
10-27-2004, 01:07 PM
I've never been much of a video game guy, and haven't owned a system since the 16 bit Sega, so I need some help with decided what to buy.

I will basically only be playing Sports games, mostly basketball baseball and golf. I do not like fighting games or long role playing games at all, just not my thing. I also want to factor ease of use into my decision if that makes any sense.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 01:11 PM
The XBox graphics are 10x better than PS2's, IMO. The only thing I dislike about XBox are the controllers. They are just too large. I love PS2's controllers.

Plus with XBox there is no need to buy memory cards ($20/each) as you can save games onto the XBox hard drive.

wacki
10-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Only sports games? Does that mean no GTA?

I agree X-box graphics are better than PS2, but so is the game cubes graphics. Some people just like PS-2 games more. You should of listed game cube as well in your poll.

One of my favorite sports games is MLB slugfest 2003. It's on PS2 and game cube. I don't know if it's on X-box.

X-box has Gotham Racing which is pretty good as well.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
XBox has Slugfest as well. MVP baseball '04 for XBox is the best baseball game I have ever played, and I have played tons of 'em.

I'd buy Xbox for Halo alone. Halo 2 comes out November 9th - going ot be a kickass game.

ilya
10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
I voted for XBox. If you were into RPGs/weird Japanesey games/platformers, PS2 would definitely be the way to go. But since you're mostly going to be playing sports games, there's no reason to settle for PS2's crappier graphics. All the major sports games come out for both systems.

Neil Stevens
10-27-2004, 01:37 PM
The X-Box is a monster-sized fan box. A new, tiny Playstation 2 is coming out soon.

If that's a concern, check if the Playstation 2 sports games would satisfy you.

Oh, and the Playstation 2 controller is the best out there, by far, so keep hand comfort in mind, too.

scotnt73
10-27-2004, 01:59 PM
right now the x-box is putting out better games that I personally want to play alot more. 1 year ago i would have said ps2 but xboxs games have caught up and have even passed ps2 for my personal tastes. i have a ps2 and my wife is getting me an xbox for christmas this year.

NLSoldier
10-27-2004, 03:56 PM
XBOX and it is not close at all. First of all it should only take 1 game to convince you, HALO 2 (comes out nov. 9). But if you need more convincing, consider that you can modify your xbox so that you will be able to rent/borrow games and save them to your hard drive. You can also get a whole bunch of older nintendo/sega games put on your hardrive. And also Xbox live rocks.

Did I mention HALO 2!?!?!?

NLSoldier
10-27-2004, 03:57 PM
The smaller version of the XBOX controller is pretty comparable to the PS2 controller. I personally think it is actually far more comfortable and I own both systems.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 03:59 PM
It's an after-market controller though correct? I'm anal about brand names - If I'm going to buy additonal accessories, they must be made by XBox (Microsoft).

NLSoldier
10-27-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will basically only be playing Sports games, mostly basketball baseball and golf. I do not like fighting games or long role playing games at all, just not my thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I missed this part the first time cause i just looked at the poll. But if you play Halo like 2 or 3 times, especially if you play system link with 2 xboxs, i can garantee you will change your mind. No other video games can even compare.

WEASEL45
10-27-2004, 04:01 PM
they have some that are made my Xbox

NLSoldier
10-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Oh I totally agree. I cant stand it when people buy off brand controllers, it seriosly makes me want to beat them at halo even more. The one im talkin about is the controller S and its made by microsoft. Actually i beleive it now comes standard with all Xboxs and they have pretty much done away with those massive ones that they first came out with.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 04:07 PM
you are rigth, it does come standard. When the XBox first came out that was what everyone bitched about and Microsoft did something about it. Funny, no one bitched about the lack of good exclusive games(minus Halo of course).

MrGo
10-27-2004, 04:09 PM
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=219506

Damn it..I bought a second regular sized controller. &*$^()@^

Thanks for the tip.

Neil Stevens
10-27-2004, 04:11 PM
I still say those black and white buttons are horrid.. I Can't stand the button shape of any of them actually.

Sony knocked off the breathtaking SNES controller for the Playstation line, though. Best Controller Ever.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 04:13 PM
yeah, the Dual Shock PS2 controller is easily the best on the market, sorry NLsoldier.

namknils
10-27-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will basically only be playing Sports games, mostly basketball baseball and golf. I do not like fighting games or long role playing games at all, just not my thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I missed this part the first time cause i just looked at the poll. But if you play Halo like 2 or 3 times, especially if you play system link with 2 xboxs, i can garantee you will change your mind. No other video games can even compare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I just looked up HALO 2 and looked into it a little, and uh...I guarantee I will not be interested in this game. If/when I get XBox I'll try the game out, but that kinda game just isn't my thing.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 04:19 PM
MVP baseball 2004. I guaranty it's worth the XBox alone. I dislike the Madden series...Tony Hawk Underground (new one just came out) is a killer game as well, and I usually hate skateboarding games.

namknils
10-27-2004, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only sports games? Does that mean no GTA?

I agree X-box graphics are better than PS2, but so is the game cubes graphics. Some people just like PS-2 games more. You should of listed game cube as well in your poll.

One of my favorite sports games is MLB slugfest 2003. It's on PS2 and game cube. I don't know if it's on X-box.

X-box has Gotham Racing which is pretty good as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew there was GameCube, that's why I included "other", I almost just had Xbox and PS2 but then I remembered that there were more, I didn't know if there were more than Gamecube too.

As for games, not only sports games, but mainly sports games. I have heard that PS2 has way more games, but some Xbox has better graphics. So for the games I will want, and I won't need many, I'm leaning towards Xbox.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 04:22 PM
if you can get MVP 2004 for cheap, get it, but there are some annoying glitches in the game. I can't wait for 2005 though.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 04:23 PM
yeah, if its mostly sports games get the XBox, they are the same price too.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 04:25 PM
I agree...the infielders take forever to change direction, even for the computer. And the replay when you swing and miss - the ball never goes into the catcher's glove. I thought they had game testers for these games? How did they miss these things?

But overall it's a great game. 2005 is due out in Nov/Mar. Hopefully they'll have Bonds, but I doubt it.

I play on the level below all-star and get my ass beat. First game of the year I got no-hit by Jason Schmidt of S.F. (I'm Houston). So I restart my dynasty and I get no hit again. LOL So far I am 1-5. But I will NOT go down a level damn it..I am determined!

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 04:30 PM
I haven't played it in a while, good game though.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Seems like you have a boring job, like me. No?

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 04:40 PM
precisely, usually I have lots to do, but today its just some bullshit filing which I won't finish. I would rather bs on here.

liquidboss
PS2 for the games. You can't get GTA for X-Box and that makes it worse.

namknils
[ QUOTE ]
I agree...the infielders take forever to change direction, even for the computer. And the replay when you swing and miss - the ball never goes into the catcher's glove. I thought they had game testers for these games? How did they miss these things?

But overall it's a great game. 2005 is due out in Nov/Mar. Hopefully they'll have Bonds, but I doubt it.

I play on the level below all-star and get my ass beat. First game of the year I got no-hit by Jason Schmidt of S.F. (I'm Houston). So I restart my dynasty and I get no hit again. LOL So far I am 1-5. But I will NOT go down a level damn it..I am determined!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, now this appeals to me! I just hope after playing an entire season my Cubs choke in the final 8 games of the season or I will be posting..."IS MVP 2004 FIXED???"

namknils
10-27-2004, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS2 for the games. You can't get GTA for X-Box and that makes it worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make me want to buy PS2. I've not the kind of guy that will go aquire hundreds of games, I've always been the guy who really gets into one thing and has to master it before moving on, and it takes me a long time to master or get bored with games. I've been on poker for quite some time.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 04:45 PM
its not fixed /images/graemlins/grin.gif, but there are some annoying glitches, especially if you do dynasty mode. There is the notorious left glitch, which causes all left handed hitters to put more top spin on balls hit so they don't go as far. Look to hit more HR's with Edgar Martinez than with Jim Thome. Pitching is really fun though.

Legend27
10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
You should definetly get an Xbox. You can play your sports games over Xbox live.

Ogre
11-02-2004, 02:02 AM
you can get GTA on xbox. its the double pack with GTA3 and vice city. I dont know about san andreas though.
even if you cant get the newest GTA just play Halo 2. because Halo 2 = gods gift to the world.
also xbox live is without a doubt the best place to play online which makes the whole gamming experience much better.

buy an xbox, and depending on how well poker has been going lately buy 2.

OGRE (proud owner or 2 xboxes)