PDA

View Full Version : Play along hand. 5+1 SNG on Party.

Raiser
10-27-2004, 09:43 AM
A couple of friends and I were discussing this hand, so I decided to make it a play along hand.

First hand in a SNG 5+1 at Party so blinds are 10/15 and absolutely no reads.

Hero is in LP and gets AQo. EP raises to 30, folded to Hero.

What should Hero do?

tigerite
10-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Call. AQo isn't a fantastic hand when there's been a raiser (even min-raise) so it's better just to play it along and see how it goes. Obviously if EP had limped then I would probably raise here to around 60.

stripsqueez
10-27-2004, 10:14 AM
i usually fold - in a game full of super chooks i might call

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

captZEEbo1
10-27-2004, 10:15 AM
call and check-fold the flop unless you hit. If you have a gutshot draw, don't call any fairly big bets (1/2 pot or pot). If he checks, don't bother bluffing, too early to mess around. If the A hits, and he bets, raise a small bet and call a medium-large sized bet.

NEVER reraise with AQo with 10 people at this early of blind level (unless you're confident this guy can fold and that he raises marginal hands frequently).

tigerite
10-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Fold, to a 2xBB bet? Nah.. certainly not at $5+$1 level, he could have A4, or a small pocket pair, anything really. But, I agree that re-raising would be wrong, not least because there's still two to act. Simply call and take it from the flop on..

augie00
10-27-2004, 11:22 AM
I can't believe like ten people didn't call this raise in a a party $5 sng. You shouldn't even bother tying to "read" what the EP might have, because his range of hands could go all the way from AA to Q2s, and beyond. He could have anything. Anything. Call.

NotMitch
10-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Call and flop broadway.

Raiser
10-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Looks like call is the winner with 1 fold in for good measure. As it happens, in this case:

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is in LP and gets AQo. EP raises to 30, folded to Hero.

[/ QUOTE ] Hero raised to 100. SB and EP calls.

Flop comes AT4 rainbow. Checked to Hero. What does hero do in this spot given the preflop raise?

wjmooner
10-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Well, see, this is why Hero should not raise AQ early in a 5$ SnG. Now the pot is ~300 and any pot sized bet commits hero to the entire hand with top pair good kicker.

Bet 200. If nobody raises and one or both call I think you have to push any turn.

I have no idea what to do against a raise, since that could mean any ace at a 5$ Party SnG.

chris

leykis
10-27-2004, 01:10 PM
The above poster is 100% correct. This is exactly why raising with an EP limper with AQ gets you into trouble. At higher buy in's (50-200) this is terrible but I actually think you are probably in good shape here because at the 5 dollar level the EP limper could have almost anything. I'm guessing you played it like the above poster suggested and lost to two pair since your posting the hand. Just a guess.

captZEEbo1
10-27-2004, 01:12 PM
at the $5 level, I'm probably allin here...one because it's 5 dollars /images/graemlins/wink.gif, and two, b/c they'll call you with like A8 or whatever.

Raiser
10-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Actually, this isn't my hand.

My friend played it and I told him what I would have done. I thought it would be nice to post it to see what you all thought.

Drac
10-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Late to the post...I would have made it 75 to go pre flop and bet 225 with that flop. I reside in the 10+1 at Party but I see a TON of players making that dinky little raise pre flop with 44 - 88 along with AJ - A5s so I'm attacking him like I've got him by the short hairs. I call any re-raise here due to the wide range of players you could be facing. If I get sent home with this hand there's another 10+1 waiting for me.