PDA

View Full Version : Hello,Players! Structure Vs. Spread in...

05-11-2002, 02:44 PM
1/5 spread Vs. 3/6 structured.

If I have a live 2-flush split medium pair on 3rd and my opponent bets the max in a 1/5 spread limit game,I usually fold if he has a big upcard showing on 3rd.

But in a 3/6 structured game,would one usually call the completed bet of 3.00??

Since the punishment is not quite as severe in the 3/6 game,should one continue fishing--assuming it's not re-raised before the action gets to him??

Hmmmmmmmm-Just wondering what to do.

HELppppppppppppp!!!!!!!LOL!

Sitting Bull

05-11-2002, 11:43 PM
Hey Larry,

Like most situations in Stud.. It depends..

If you think your opponent has the big pair he is representing and your sidecard isn't larger than his pair you probably should fold. ( You know this Larry /images/smile.gif ) Of course if everybodys in the pot and all your cards are live you might want to take off a card. ( especially without fear of a re-raise )

I think too many people misunderstand the 'I have a two-flush with my pair' benefits. Sure it is better than non suited but NOT if it is going to cause you to make expensive mistakes. ( excuse for cold calling raises ) For example say an opponent with a Jack raises, and I know it probably means Jacks for this opponent.. I am certainly not going to call with a pair of fours just because one of my sidecards is suited!! If my sidecard is an Ace(especially suited) sure I will call now ( or re-raise if warranted )

I think having a two flush with a straight draw is more incentive to play than a small/medium pair with a two flush. JMOP

Later,

CJ

P.S. - If the 3-6 game has a 50 cent ante then you should be playing a little looser, I do admit that. If the 3-6 game has no ante then there really is no reason to chase.

05-12-2002, 09:20 AM
the answer depends on two things: whether any of your opponents cards are dead, and whether it is a multiway pot. this is true in both games.You do not want to play a smaller pair with a two flush heads up against a larger pair unless the ante is relatively large. you do not say whether there is an ante or not. also even when the ante is large you still do not want to play unless he has a dead pair card. This is general of course, since there are other variables such as whether he could be raising without a pair, whether you can get a free card later on etc. For example in connecticut there is a .50 ante in 1-5, and it would probably be a mistake to fold a hand with a two flush in a live multiway pot. you might even want to reraise on occasion.

With regard to a multiway pot you should play many of these hands if the pot is not raised and it is multiway. again this is true in both games. but if you are the type of player that will chase a threeflush when it is not profitable, i.e. when there is a raise by a higher card on fourth street and three people fold and you have a dead card or two, then you probably should not play it. if you can fold these hands when you are supposed to then you should play the liberally in a multiway pot even if it is raised.

Pat

05-12-2002, 05:18 PM