PDA

View Full Version : Asking For A Big Personal Favor

David Sklansky
10-27-2004, 03:33 AM
Those of you who have the second printing of my Tournament Poker For Advanced Players may have noticed that I dedicated it to my father's (Irving Sklansky) doctor. I called him the best urologist in the country and thanked him for keeping my father's advanced prostrate cancer in check for eight years.

That was three years ago. Six months ago things looked like they had finally caught up with him as the chemotherapy had stopped working and was making him feel terrible. He was ready to give up and stop taking treatment. But Dr. Vitenson would had none of that. He feverishly did the research to come up with an alternative. And he pulled off another miracle. He has brought my dad's PSA from over 300 all the way down to an amazing EIGHT. And with no side effects! I just got that news today. He really is an amazing doctor. He is also astonishingly caring for a man with his stature and his schedule.

Although I have comped Dr. Vitenson to shows when he visits Vegas, that is not nearly enough to show him the gratitude he deserves. But what can you get for someone as succesfull as he is that he couldn't get for himself? Luckily I was in a position to give him something unique by dedicating my book to him.

But with this latest accomplishment I want to do something else. And again I am very lucky to be in a position to do this. But I need your help. What I want do is shower him with thank you cards from all over the country and the world. I am asking the readers of this forum to do me a great favor by writing a letter, a note on a card, or a postcard saying something along the lines of

Dr. Dr Vitenson,

I hear you are a great doctor and I just wanted to think you for the terrific care you have given my poker guru's dad. We need to keep his mind on the game.

Actually I would prefer you use your own words to convey similar sentiments. Feel free to mention my father by name.

I may or may not be able to find out which of you were nice enough to do this for me. If I don't, please accept my heartfelt thanks now. At the very least I will post on these forums the reaction my little scheme produced.

The address is

Dr. Jack Henri Vitenson
Urologic Institute of NJ
331 Summit Ave
Hackensack NJ O7601

Please do not email him. I will be posting this on several forums. Thanks again.

NLSoldier
10-27-2004, 03:38 AM
Wow, I think this is a really cool idea. Good to hear you father is doing better. I will be glad to help out.

Alobar
10-27-2004, 03:42 AM
It would be an honor to help the man (you) who has helped change my life, help the man who helped change your fathers and your life.

It'll go out in the mail tomorrow

Ray Zee
10-27-2004, 01:54 PM
you can count on me to do this david.

bisonbison
10-27-2004, 01:57 PM
David,

I'll put a card in the mail. My dad died of cancer, so it's great to hear that your father's treatments have been so successful. I know what you're going through, and you have my best wishes.

Peter

Mat Sklansky
10-28-2004, 12:49 PM
I just wanted to draw a little more attention to this post. This guy Dr. Vitenson is truly the most caring and competent person I have ever met. This gesture, I'm sure, would be most appreciated by him, as well as my grandfather.

astroglide
10-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Dr. Jack H. Vitenson M.D.
Bachelor of Science from the University of Pennsylvania, M.D. from New York Medical College, member of AOA (National Honor of Medical Society), urology attending at Wilford Hole Hospital at San Antonio, Texas 1970 to 1972, diplomat of the Board of Urology since 1974, Fellow of American College of Surgeons since 1975, chairman of the department of Urology at Hackensack University Medical Center 1990 to 2000, clinical associate professor of urology at UMDNJ.

while i'm glad the results have been favorable, i think you would have been better off putting your father in ed miller's hands.

fsuplayer
10-28-2004, 01:07 PM
i think you would have been better off putting your father in ed miller's hands.

noted medical authority?

ArchAngel71857
10-28-2004, 02:56 PM
It's amazing the respones this thread has gotten compared to NVG.

-AA

JTrout
10-28-2004, 07:17 PM
David,
Wonderful idea. Happy to oblige. Good to hear your father is better.

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think you would have been better off putting your father in ed miller's hands.

noted medical authority?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but he did go to MIT.

And slept at a Holiday Inn.