PDA

View Full Version : i need help

morgant
10-27-2004, 01:35 AM
this is a classic whats best thread that should prolly belong in NVG or whatever forum that is created for that now that there are a gazillion forums here. but its going here, i am a zooer and its related to internet gambling.

ok. so, i just got a new computer and ipod, and am introduced to the wonderful world of mp3's....its great
but i am running out of ideas for music to download soooo....

what is some good music to listen to while playing poker on the internet?
here are a few of mine

anything Sacred Spirit
Enigma
Radiohead
Cranberries
10,000 Maniacs
Music from the broadway play Rent
Moby
Gangstarr
Jurassic 5

thats a pretty decent list of what i listen too, but i am getting bored already...any suggestions

Alobar
10-27-2004, 01:59 AM
dude, music from rent???

I was going to tell you to listen to "tool" but I dont think you are worthy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Evan
10-27-2004, 02:07 AM
i like coldplay

morgant
10-27-2004, 02:09 AM
a few days ago i downloaded Undertow....so my taste has a broad range.

jasonHoldEm
10-27-2004, 02:54 AM
trance control
BT
orbital
tiesto
astral projection / the cynic project (I'm pretty sure these are the same people)
ghost in the machine

Blarg
10-27-2004, 03:26 AM
Ry Cooder

NLfool
10-27-2004, 03:46 AM
mellow stuff for when you're running bad

eagles
cat stevens
counting crows
five for fighting
dave matthews
david gray
goo goo dolls
sheryl crow
moby
pearl jam (old stuff)
nirvana
stevie nicks
10000 maniacs
tracy chapman
U2
Train
vanessa carlton
Michelle branch
wallflowers
van morrison
dobie gray
chris isaak
edwin mccain
tom petty
beatles

More aggro music

Matchbox 20
bon jovi
collective soul
++Live++
Creed
foo fighters
gavin degraw
green day
led zeppelin
guns n roses
kid rock
metallica
offspring
social distortion
stone temple pilots
sublime
survivor
smashing pumpkins
soul asylum

if you're going to in commerce Nov.3 - ?? for the holiday tournaments you can sample my collection of mp3's

daveymck
10-27-2004, 05:14 AM
Posting some UK stuff that probably havent heard of.

If you like Moby then try Prodigy and Fat Boy Slim.

Radiohead - If its their earlier stuff you like try Muse, Therapy and Placebo.

For some more left field UK rock music try New Model Army and the Levellers.

Some up and coming rock bands (UK is going back to the 70's at the minute) The Zutons, The Libertines, The Killers or take a look at NME Chart (http://mtv2europe.com/mtv2europe.com/nmeChart.jhtml) and also the voting page has a lot of bands on there, if you like guitar based rock/punk (70's style punk not Green Day pop punk type) its worth trying a few out.

TylerD
10-27-2004, 05:52 AM
Here are some of the artists on my "chilling" playlist that I like to listen to when I need to calm down after a bad beat or poor run of cards:

- Air - the most chilled out band you'll ever find. Moon Safari is by far their best album.
- Moby
- Smashing Pumpkins - some really mellow tunes on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
- Groove Armada - I think the track's called To the River; very chilled out.
- R.E.M.
- Flaming Lips

If I need to get pumped up then I like to listen to:

- Foo Fighters
- Transplants
- Blink 182
- Prodigy
- FatboySlim
- Green Day

For good old fashioned, but new, guitar music I would go with:

- The Killers
- The Libertines
- Embrace
- Razorlight

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them at the moment.

If I were to pick three albums for you to buy they would be:

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Air - Moon Safari
The Killers - Hot Fuss.

ihaterivers
10-27-2004, 06:05 AM
Just now getting introduced to mp3's? Where on earth have you been young man?

Tosh
10-27-2004, 07:17 AM
I think it just depends on what music you like. Personally I like listening to Green Day when playing poker.

thirddan
10-27-2004, 07:31 AM
your list of aggro music mades me giggle...

ive been listening to some nightwish/epica for the more mellow times, but if you want to kick up the aggression try some sepultura or meshuggah, you won't be able to stop clicking the raise button...

stigmata
10-27-2004, 07:40 AM
More UK music that seems to fit with your tastes:

Turin Brakes (First album "The Optomist LP" is the best) & Damien Rice (check out Volcanoes single) are good for chilled out, tuneful & intelligent folk-pop (don't let the folk bit put you off).

Manic Street Preachers new album is meant to be good, but I havent heard it myself. Their older albums are definately worth a listen and are more aggressive.

If you havent got all the radiohead albums, keep listening, cos they are all A++ finest quality (Although that last comment could start an argument with the die-hards slagging off the newer stuff).

daveymck
10-27-2004, 08:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your list of aggro music mades me giggle...

ive been listening to some nightwish/epica for the more mellow times, but if you want to kick up the aggression try some sepultura or meshuggah, you won't be able to stop clicking the raise button...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nightwish are cool, that Epica Album is pretty good as well, in that vein try Lacuna Coil, Beseech, After Forever.

Early Sepultura they got rubbish quick and never saw the attraction of Meshugga but they are known as a difficult listen.

daveymck
10-27-2004, 08:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
More UK music that seems to fit with your tastes:

Manic Street Preachers new album is meant to be good, but I havent heard it myself. Their older albums are definately worth a listen and are more aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Manics always said they would break up after their first album, they should have done, the last couple of radio pop rock is a disgrace to their early work.

Mike Haven
10-27-2004, 08:17 AM
three albums for you to buy

i'm sure buying is the way it should be done, but WinMX (http://www.winmx.com/) let's you download just about anything you can think of for free

spamuell
10-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Manic Street Preachers new album is meant to be good, but I havent heard it myself.

I don't think Lifeblood is out until 1st November.

If I'm relaxed, I listen to The Cure when I play. Generally, I won't listen to anything though as I want to concentrate.

Simon Diamond
10-27-2004, 08:26 AM
trance control
BT
orbital
tiesto
astral projection / the cynic project (I'm pretty sure these are the same people)
ghost in the machine

Jason, you missed out Ferry Corsten... Otherwise, that's a very nice list.

I'd recommend anything Brian Eno too - his work is so soothing. I listen to it when I am writing, kind of gets you in the zone. Perhaps that could work with poker too.

goodguy_1
10-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Mixed tuneage I listen to:My tastes are heavily influenced by my being a full-on punk throughout 80's and living in the SouthWest USA.I'm now a mellowed out old focker-heh.Last time I did a stage dive was my last.It was at an L7 show in NYC about a decade ago..

L7
Hoodu Gurus
Junior Brown
Jayhawks
Monster Magnet
The Lyres
the Iguanas
Soul Coughing
Feelies
Morphine
Husker Du
The Mavericks
Drive-by-truckers
Luna
Dave Alvin
Red House Painters
Yo la Tengo
Spiritualized
Dub Syndicate
Lee Scratch Perry
The Orb
The Posies
Screaming Trees
Deftones
Suicide Machines
Beck
Los Straitjackets
Modest Mouse
X
Blasters
The Silos
SunKillMoon
Kelly Willis
Gillian welch
Terri Clark
Alejandro Escovedo
Built To Spill
Blue Aeroplanes
Roy Buchannon
Distillers
Breeders
Freedy Johnston
Grant Lee Buffalo
Surfjan Stevens
Acid Jazz
Wilco
Loop Guru
Rilo Kiley
Lloyd cole
Bettie Serveert
Cat Power
Aimee Mann
I See Hawks In LA
Concrete Blonde
MIA
Green on Red
VU
Wire

Mid teens I was into southern rock/hard rock until I saw my first X show at City Gardens Trenton,NJ in 1981 or so..cant rember exactly.At the time LosAngeles/NYC/Minniapolis/Athens GA. was pumping out great music.I moved to Phoenix in mid 80's and saw all the great punk bands of the 80's from LA and elsewhere..At the time Phoenix had a burgeoning hardcore scene JFA(Judy Foster's Army)Green on Red/Meat Puppets/Giant Sand
from Tucson.
Phoenix was a great place to see music in the eighties because all the OC/LA bands would tour AZ. to make money..these were good bands ie MIA,Sacharine Trust,Los Lobos,Steve Wynn/Dream Syndicate,Battalion of Saints,Long Riders,Black Flag,Circle Jerks...muchu energy and drunkeness and fun!

I still listen to punk but listen to more Dub and mellower roots Americana kinda stuff...

peace

GrannyMae
10-27-2004, 09:19 AM
cat stevens

yusef or yousef?

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/u/rockband.gif

waffle
10-27-2004, 09:34 AM
http://www.kexp.org - College/Indie/Other from Seattle. Better than you think! Keeps complete streaming archive of all programming in the last two weeks

http://www.somafm.com - Chill and Ambient music. Also an Indie and some other stations

http://www.di.fm - Cheesy Techno split into a million genres

http://www.protonradio.com - house music, calming

http://www.bassdrive.com - bassdrive, agressive

TylerD
10-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Yeah, thats called theft.

theghost
10-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Unsane
Black Sabbath
Lightning Bolt
Brainbombs
Immortal
Electric wizard
Feedtime
Gangstar
DJ Krush
any Good Dub

to name a few...

morgant
10-27-2004, 10:56 AM
I KNOW......i was always familiar with them, but never had the wherewithall to get involved(if i may steal the name from a Raphael Saddiq track which is great btw.)

sammy_g
10-27-2004, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, thats called theft.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that's called copyright infringement. (Doesn't make it right, though.)

IndieMatty
10-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Pinback, Wilco, Pinback, Wilco,
Pinback, Wilco, Pinback, Wilco,

and more Pinback.

Thanks,

Matt

sammy_g
10-27-2004, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a few days ago i downloaded Undertow....so my taste has a broad range.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get Aenima and Lateralus, too. Oh, and Tool's lead singer is involved in another band I haven't listened to, but have been meaning to check out. Perfect Circle, I think. Could be worth a listen.

sammy_g
10-27-2004, 11:16 AM
OK, good start. Now keep the Radiohead and throw all that other stuff away. Then get your hands on

The Beatles (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, White Album, Abbey Road)
James Brown (Live at the Apollo, Star Time Box Set)
The Clash (The Clash, London Calling)

Enjoy.

Bubu
10-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Cynic Project and Astral projection are two different groups.
Cynic project is a young american dj, while astral are two older Israeli dj's - classic stuff. If you like astral you should definetely try Infected Mushroom. v good stuff.

nice choices ;-) .

Bubu

TylerD
10-27-2004, 11:19 AM
You say tomato, I say tomatoe.

NLfool
10-27-2004, 11:29 AM
LOL yeah my taste in music sucks but like someone previously posted. You just got into MP3's? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

sammy_g
10-27-2004, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You say tomato, I say tomatoe.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people call it theft because it's inaccurate and it's a loaded word.

If I steal some money from you, you no longer have that money.

If I make a copy of some music you recorded, I haven't taken any possession from you. I've made an illegal copy.

One is theft, and the other is copyright infringement. Again, I'm not saying it's right, but it is different.

morgant
10-27-2004, 11:33 AM
PLEASE DONT HIJACK MY THREAD

it is a friendly low key zoo pondering on music.

cornell2005
10-27-2004, 11:45 AM
i like the ambient chill stations on winamp. 2 of my favorite groups are jurassic 5 and radiohead also so maybe you would like it. not that this type of music anything like those groups'

josie_wales
10-27-2004, 11:54 AM
I like:

PHiSH
Widespread Panic
Yonder Mountain String Band
Del McCoury
Led Zep (try Physical Graffiti)
Pink Floyd(try Animals)
Just a few that I got loaded right now..

jw

PhilTheThrill14
10-27-2004, 12:34 PM
The Disco Biscuits. Period. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NLfool
10-27-2004, 12:42 PM
oh forgot if belong to SBC internet services you get launchcast for free it's the best online radio I've run into so far

jasonHoldEm
10-27-2004, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cynic Project and Astral projection are two different groups.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected, not sure why I thought they were the same people /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I'll look into Infected Mushroom, thanks.

J

ryanhex
10-27-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

anything Sacred Spirit
Enigma
Radiohead
Cranberries
10,000 Maniacs
Moby
Gangstarr
Jurassic 5

thats a pretty decent list of what i listen too, but i am getting bored already...any suggestions

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you'd love Broken Social Scene. You Forgot It In People is a classic. Download "Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl" and see if you like it.

jakethebake
10-27-2004, 04:51 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Acesover8s
10-27-2004, 05:19 PM
You've got to be kidding me.

[ QUOTE ]
More aggro music

Matchbox 20
bon jovi
collective soul
++Live++
Creed
foo fighters
gavin degraw
green day
led zeppelin
guns n roses
kid rock
metallica
offspring
social distortion
stone temple pilots
sublime
survivor
smashing pumpkins
soul asylum

[/ QUOTE ]

waffle
10-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Offcell EP is great /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
10-27-2004, 06:08 PM
I love all that old stuff. London Calling is one of my favorite albums.

I also like the Rolling Stones from those days, and other Brits like XTC and Gang of Four.

And NIN, lots of jazz and classical and real old blues, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Jim Croce...mostly old-ish stuff. Don't keep up on music lately, and never got into rap or hip-hop. Seems too one-note and predictable to me.

Blarg
10-27-2004, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mid teens I was into southern rock/hard rock until I saw my first X show

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like Tom Petty a helluva lot.

I do remember seeing X a couple times in L.A. Love those guys. Great shows. I remember one time the security people at a show at an X show kept on fidgeting and talking to John Doe every chance they could, and telling the audience to move back. Why? Just to be jerks, really. Nobody was really very rowdy, at least not up front. Finally John Doe got fed up with it and said, arching up his eyebrows, "Security is saying the barriers might collapse...but I don't think the STAGE will collapse!" Then we were all howling and crunched up against the stage, security gave up, and we were probably all wondering if Exene or however you spell her name was gonna barf on us. Good times, much shoving, jumping up and down like a fool, and overall fun was had.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-27-2004, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anything Sacred Spirit
Enigma
Radiohead
Cranberries
10,000 Maniacs
Moby
Gangstarr
Jurassic 5

[/ QUOTE ]
other than J5 and gangstar, you sound gay.
radiohead is ok.

goodguy_1
10-27-2004, 06:43 PM
I saw the Clash in Asbury Park,NJ 1982/3 ?.My best friend got busted with a huge bag of ganja by Asbury Park's finest...great show.Gang of Four was excellent live .I really like XTC but never saw them.

you got me diggin into my liitle envelope I have in my desk with HALF of the shows I saw in the 80's/90's
Here goes:
Ramones
Youth Brigade
DB's
Circle Jerks
Minutemen
Bangles
David Johansen
Blasters
Rockats
Romeo Void
Flipper
Dickies
Gang of Four
X
Dead Kennedy's
Bongoes
Nick Lowe
Clash-May 30 1982
Greatful Dead
Love and Rockets
Siouxsie &the Banshees
Big Audio Dynamite
ZZ Top
The Police
Lords of the New Church
Squeeze
PIL
Los Lobos w/Naked Prey
Hot Tuna
Hoodoo Gurus in Las vegas 1984
Duran Duran-heh
B-52's
King Crimson
Frank Zappa
Midnight Oil
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
INXS w/The Soup Dragons
The Smiths
English Beat
Dee-Lite
Fabulous Thuderbirds-w/Jimmy Vaughn
TheScreaming Trees w/ Nova Mob
Johnny Winter
Emerson Lake and Palmer9like my first concert probably 14)
UB40
The Jam
The Kinks
King Missile
Battalion of Saints
Broken bones
Rank'N File
Lyres
Del Fuegos
TSOL
MIA
Tupelo Chainsex
Del-Lords
Sacharine Trust
DOA
Albert Collins
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Alarm
Untouchables
The True Beleivers
UK Subs
The Exploited
Black Flag
True West
Fishbone
10,000 Maniacs
Legal Weapon
The Flys
Mission UK
Husker Du
Game Theory
Lime Spiders
Original sins
Fleshtones
Gang Green
Slamming Watusis
Jazz Butcher
Dumptruck
Naked Raygun
Pussy Galorie
Luna
The Feelies
Poster Children

I stopped writing to this list in late mid/late 90's.I used to live in Hawaii and I started doing College Radio at KTUH Honululu.I got a job with Atlantic Records in early 90's with the guy that signed Madder Rose-a very good band.Around that time I was struggling with my new clean sober self..so being in music biz. dindt work...but I love music..

morgant
10-27-2004, 07:26 PM
i was talking about relaxed chill music of which i find all of the above, for the gay comment i will hunt you down and feed you your own intestines

morg.

1800GAMBLER
10-28-2004, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Razorlight

[/ QUOTE ]

1800GAMBLER
10-28-2004, 08:55 AM
Even though we've argued a lot in the past you have the life i adore. Music. Self employed. Drunk.

IndieMatty
10-28-2004, 09:13 AM
New one is fantastic. So is the tour EP. There all good. Best little band out there.

sammy_g
11-01-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love all that old stuff. London Calling is one of my favorite albums.

[/ QUOTE ]
London Calling is the best album ever recorded that no one bought! (Honorable mention goes to The Velvet Underground, Loaded.) It pains me that Hootie and the Blowfish recorded one of the best selling albums of all time, and these records go overlooked.

[ QUOTE ]
I also like the Rolling Stones from those days, and other Brits like XTC and Gang of Four.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
And NIN, lots of jazz and classical and real old blues, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Jim Croce...mostly old-ish stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't listened to NIN in a while. I might have to put some on today...

sfer
11-01-2004, 11:41 AM
I've been listening to:

The Dandy Warhols
The Shins
Wilco
Cat Power
A rediscovered 5 CD 80s mix I made for a party 4 years ago.
Moving Units
Le Tigre
Elliot Smith
The Fiery Furnaces
The Decemberists

IndieMatty
11-01-2004, 12:02 PM
There's no reason you haven't added Pinback or Minus The Bear to this list yet. Get on that!

scrub
11-01-2004, 12:12 PM
I haven't read the thread, but if you like Radiohead, the first Sigur Ros album (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005IC2H/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-1001853-6594407?v=glance&s=music&st=*#product-details) is one of my favorites for multitabling.

Also, the first Something Corporate album sounds like something between Ben Folds and a musical, but with better lyrics. If you listen to Rent while you play, you might get a kick out of it...

scrub

bdk3clash
11-01-2004, 12:15 PM
I would urge everyone to check out both Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre, as well as the documentary "Dig," which is out in some theaters and airs on Sundance in a week or so.

Brian Jonestown Massacre has all their albums available for download on their web site. (http://www.brianjonestownmassacre.com/mp3.php)

IndieMatty
11-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Oh and Broken Social Scene.