PDA

View Full Version : Newbie going to Vegas

08-07-2001, 03:24 PM
I know this has been asked before, but I never printed the replies and I can't find it in the archives: where are the "best" places to play low limit o/8 and Hold'em in Vegas?

I define "best" in terms of atmosphere and tourists, as I'd rather not play against regulars unless they are horrible.

I'm a true newbie, having played in home games all my life, discovered internet poker recently, and have been a student of the game for two months. After 200+ hours of online play I'm actually ahead and am excited to make my first foray with my limited amount of newfound knowledge into a public poker room. I have never played in a brick and mortar room. I am taking the advice of Lou Krieger and I do not expect to win on my first trip to a public poker room, but I want to play my best in an atmosphere that welcomes the beginning player.

All thoughts appreciated!

08-07-2001, 05:23 PM
Probably 3/6 at Mirage or 4/8 at Bellagio. There should be multiple tables so you can scout a bit and find the one that looks weakest.

Good luck, let us know how it goes,

Paul Talbot

08-07-2001, 10:17 PM
There are a few daily tournaments (Monday - Friday) that you might check out..

The Luxor has a Limit HE tournament, freeze out, limit 29 players, $25 buy-in, starts at NOON.

The Circus Circus has a Limit HE tourney, shoot out, limit 20 players, $25 buy-in, starts at 11:00AM.

The Mandalay Bay has a Limit HE tourney, freeze out, limit 30 players, $25 buy-in, starts at 10:00AM.

Key is to make sure you get there early to ensure you get a seat.

My first trip to LV, I played in one of those Luxor tournaments and took first. I was pretty wet behind the ears at that time, so it is possible to play a good game, catch the right cards, and make the $$.

I've heard good things about the Mirage for live games, and have seen A LOT of action at The Orleans.

If you don't have a car while in LV, get a hold of information on the free shuttles that run all over town.

Good luck, and have fun.

CHiP

08-07-2001, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you're likely to beat just about any low limit game you'll find there. I have a feeling the very easiest games are in offbeat places like excalibur and monte carlo, but that's just my impression. Call me crazy, but I like The Orleans for low limit poker.

08-08-2001, 06:45 AM
What is the difference between a 'freeze out' and a 'shoot out'?

08-08-2001, 05:52 PM
..not sure if there is any difference.. this was just how they described them.

CHiP

08-08-2001, 06:42 PM
For an example of truly appalling LL play, take the hour drive north to Mesquite and try the Oasis or Casablanca.