PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying sports cliche

TheRake
10-27-2004, 12:36 AM
It's time to work on your interviews . . . You're going to have to learn your cliches. You're going to have to study them. You're going to have to know them. They're your friends.

-Crash Davis-

andyfox
10-27-2004, 12:38 AM
"That team [player] really has heart."

I'll leave it for Clarkmeister to elaborate.

nolanfan34
10-27-2004, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"That team [player] really has heart."

I'll leave it for Clarkmeister to elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's OK to say that, but it only applies to the Yankees.

shemp
10-27-2004, 01:26 AM
A favorite announcer gem of mine, particularly popular in the NFL from some bozo trying to be thoughtful is:

"You just can't make those kind of mistakes on the road [and expect to win]."

"You just can't turn the ball over like that on the road."

"You just can't have those kind of penalties on the road."

etc.

etc.

theBruiser500
10-27-2004, 01:31 AM
pedro kept pointing up at god, that was bogus.

nothumb
10-27-2004, 01:39 AM
WTF, now Billy Mueller is giving all credit to The Most High too, like that fcuking siht is contagious or something. I'm beginning to regret my "Red Sox are god's team..." post.

NT

Sponger15SB
10-27-2004, 01:54 AM
What about giving it a 110%?

That has to be the greatest cliche.

Neil Stevens
10-27-2004, 02:05 AM
I'm sick of people who say "This is a must win game" in games that aren't elimination games.

Edge34
10-27-2004, 02:16 AM
"This wouldn't be possible without my wife..."

Just ask Doug Christie - if she said he couldn't play against Milwaukee on the road on a Thursday, he wouldn't. She even blew up on a female fan ASKING FOR AN AUTOGRAPH!!! That guy's ruining NBA ballers' reps EVERYWHERE, he's so whipped. Of course, she hasn't really helped much apparently, since those Kings seem to choke, um, every year.

I personally don't mind the one about God, or the one about the other team. The one about giving 110%, or even the ones who go all the way and give all 200%...that one just makes me laugh, its so bad.

TheRake
10-27-2004, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What about giving it a 110%?

That has to be the greatest cliche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh I forgot that one. That difinitely should have been on the list.

I think 110-200% is the norm these days. If they really want to make a difference they should be giving in the 300-400% range.

TheRake

BeerMoney
10-27-2004, 09:09 AM
The god crap is ridiculous... Schilling saying that Christ helped him win this game..

If you're christ, would you be more concerned about Genocide in Rwanda, or let me think.. Schilling in game 2?? Ya, schilling in game two, since he's a christian, and those people in Rwanda aren't....

SuitedSixes
10-27-2004, 09:13 AM
For fun, I am an assistant coach for a high school team. We gave the head coach the "they're your friends" speech. We challenged him to use as many as possible. So far he has been able to get in print:
It was a team effort.
She gives 110%.
She really stepped up.
We're just taking them one game at a time.

sfer
10-27-2004, 09:16 AM
I dunno. Seems pretty clear that God wants the Cubs to lose for, like, forever.

daveymck
10-27-2004, 09:17 AM
There are some sites that have setup cliche bingo.

Heres a link to some amusing commentaries, is football so some might not make sense to the US lot.

Football Funnies (http://www.funny.co.uk/stuff/art_172-1802-Real-Life-Football-Quotes.html)

bwana devil
10-27-2004, 10:16 AM
True, True. I agree athletes use clichés, but in their defense it’s partly because they're asked only a handful of questions which there are usually only a few answers one might give. They’re often generic questions that you could ask a hockey, baseball, football player after any game. Ask a generic question, get a clichéd answer.

“How special was this win tonight?”

“You’ve had an exceptional year. What have you done differently this year to prepare yourself?”

“Now that you’ve won this game, how do you feel your team stands the rest of the playoffs?”

Six_of_One
10-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Athletes and coaches in all sports seem to like to "go out" a lot.

"We just have to GO OUT and give it our best effort"
"We were able to GO OUT and execute"

and so on...has anyone else notice this? It never ends. All they do is "go out" this and "go out" that. Bugs the hell out of me...just leave those words out, the sentence has the exact same meaning.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 01:19 PM
I would just like to thank God for this forum and for all of you.

Edge34
10-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, if God's a BoSox fan... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'd make a point about one's faith allowing him to believe that God is really with him at all times, and is actually with all believers at all times, and that many people draw strength in stressful times (which can include a World Series start for an injured player), but there's plenty of that in the "psychology" forum already...

-Edge

M2d
10-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Yes, this forum allows us to take it one day at a time while giving 117.63%. while other forums are making a great showing, we've been able to capitalize on some lucky breaks. God willing we'll go all the way.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, this forum allows us to take it one day at a time while giving 117.63%. while other forums are making a great showing, we've been able to capitalize on some lucky breaks. God willing we'll go all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Nice.

TheRake
10-27-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a team effort. All we have to do is keep doing the little things and we can go out on top.

Edge34
10-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Hey now, this whole thing wouldn't be possible without David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth, Ray Zee, Ed Miller, too many to name...from the top writers to the new posters...its a blessing.

B00T
10-27-2004, 02:22 PM
"They left it all on the field"

"They wear their heart on their sleeves"

stuuuuuuuuuuupid

Blarg
10-27-2004, 03:03 PM
The old giving it 110% was my immediate thought, so I'm going to have to agree with Sponger and the others on that one being the biggest offender.

"Boys, usually I tell ya we gotta give 110%. But we found out the other team is trying to ambush us by giving 115% tonight. So we're gonna to have to give 120%! Some of you black guys are gonna have to give 130% to cover for the white guys."

Sponger15SB
10-27-2004, 03:07 PM
this reminds me of the lacrosse coaches from american pie

Coach#1 I don't want you to think you are going to score, you don't score, till you score.
Coach#2 till you score!

Coach#1 for you seniors, this is the culmination
Coach#2 culmination!

basically the second coach says the exact same dorky thing but with more emphasis

Sponger15SB
10-27-2004, 03:07 PM

Coach#1 I don't want you to think you are going to score, you don't score, till you score.
Coach#2 till you score!

Coach#2 culmination!

basically the second coach says the exact same dorky thing but with more emphasis

TheRake
10-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Hahahaha..did you mean to post that twice?

I mean I read it the 2nd time, but I don't think it had more emphasis /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheRake

vulturesrow
10-27-2004, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Coach#2 till you score!

Coach#2 culmination!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my laugh out loud post of the day.

Victor
10-27-2004, 03:53 PM
We shocked the world tonight!!!!

After some random team won some random game.

Victor
10-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Announcer: "That was a rookie/freshman mistake." when somebody dribbles out of bounds or makes a turnover or something.

Yea, because at his previous level the over and back (or whatever) rule did not apply.

NLSoldier
10-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Im surprised the God choice has the most votes...I agree its annoying if the player implies that God *wanted* them to win. But I think they usually are just thanking God for the talent and opportunity they have been given which seems totally fine to me.

Victor
10-27-2004, 04:15 PM
"But I think they usually are just thanking God for the talent and opportunity they have been given which seems totally fine to me. "

It would be more appropriate if they thanked the genetics of their parents or the science of their steriods.