PDA

View Full Version : River Play?

05-07-2002, 05:43 PM
This happened a few nights ago, so i don't remember everyone's cards. Playing 4-8 at Bay 101

Player to my immediate right brings in with a 3 up for a dollar. I have (6cAc)As, and complete. 7! callers. Pot size now $32 dollars.

I then catch an Ah, giving me (6cAc)AsAh and bet four, foulded around to a guy with JhQh who makes it 12 folded to bring in with kc3d who calls. I make it 20, jhqh calls, and kc3d folds. Total pot now $84. I think JhQh may have a four flush.

Fifth street I catch 9s and he catchs Qs. I bet and he raises, and I call. Total pot now $116.

Sixth street I catch 5d and he catches 3h. I check, he bets, and I know he either has a flush, or a boat. With $124 dollars in there, I have more than enough pot odds for the call. So I do.

On the river, I catch a useless 3c, and proceed to check-fold. Does anyone play the river any differently? Afterwards, I thought there might have been enough money in there to go for the check raise, or maybe the straight out bet, representing I made my boat. I know that you are going to say it depends on the guy I was playing against, and I had never played against him before, so I couldn't figure out how he'd react. Any suggestions?

05-07-2002, 06:25 PM
I call here every time, unless I'm playing against a known, predictable opponent who can't be raising me without a hand that beats me. You're getting more than 15:1, and your read doesn't have to be wrong very often for an incorrect fold to be catastrophic. I call, fully expecting to lose, but I still call. No one is getting rich in this game by folding in big pots for one more bet on the end.

No ante in this game? I'd probably just limp with Aces and hope to re-raise or perhaps raise on a later street. Unless I thought that I'd get seven callers anyway. /images/smile.gif

05-07-2002, 07:36 PM
it is not likely that he has a fourflush on fourth street. it is more likely that he has two pair. when he catches the queen he is probably full. you should check call from here on out since you have the odds to try to fill yourself,a lot higher odds as a matter of fact. how likely is it that he would fold if he filled? almost zero if not actually zero, so there is no point on bluffing. the real question is whether you should have called because there was some small chance he had a wacky hand like just trip queens, and for furture value since opponents will see that you will call on the river and may not bluff in the future.

It is not too often that you make open aces and trips on fourth street and then lose a lot of bets. too bad.

Pat

05-08-2002, 01:15 AM
Over all I would say you played it very well. I am questioning your failure to double bet on

4th with a big set and many opponents and not to flat call the end.

I go for the limp reraise on third if I can tell if another will complete. If not, complete and

bet double on 4 Th. If raised, RR (as you did) or call based on image, chances on getting a

free look somewhere down the line, etc. If I brick on 5 Th. I check call to the river unless

I hit. If 5th is a gold brick I would instead check raise 5th especially if I called

on 4th (for deception and set up a CR play aimed at buying a freebie on sixth if I don’t

improve) rather than capped

You arrived at 5th with aggression and still got raised. Unless you opponent a maniacal

type or you are you got to credit him for a pat hand. So you could release here (which

gives the suggested forth street “call the raise rather than cap” play increased validity) if

given the proper tell although this may not be mathematically correct.

Moreover, on 5th Your 37% to make a bigger FH or crack his flush by the river. If he is

indeed a made man You still got the odds to go for the higher hand. However You are a

35 to 65 dog against a made FH or flush heads up.

In my mind 6th is almost a downhill bike ride.

Not to call the river was a option I would not have taken with 16.5 big bets in the pot.

To raise as a bluff isn’t a option for similar reasons.

wombat6

05-08-2002, 01:54 AM
I am questioning your failure to double bet on

4th with a big set and many opponents

The problem with making the full bet is that all your opponents will usually fold (which they should). By just making the small bet, you make it easier for your opponents to make a FTOP mistake by calling.

05-08-2002, 09:20 AM

05-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Folding on fifth street would be insane. He's getting more than sufficient odds to chase even if the guy shows him Queens full.

05-08-2002, 12:56 PM
>The problem with making the full bet is that all your opponents will usually fold (which they >should). By just making the small bet, you make it easier for your opponents to make a FTOP >mistake by calling.

agreed however we are talking california 4-8 game here. The true question IMHO is do you want to take it into 7 players when you can raise to maybe thin the field and probably get just as much or more in the pot?

You have a 4 flush drawing at you and you will improve 43% of the time. He will improve 56% of the time (given both hands are totally live). You want to make those loose players with big draws and subordinant hands pay big time.(make a even bigger mistake) And the amusing thing is in this game, they will, happily.