PDA

View Full Version : Help playing AJ

mason55
10-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Alright, this isn't about a specific hand per se, but I was playing tonight and realized I need some suggestions about playing AJ. I play at lower buyins (5-20) on Pacific Poker and I'm just having trouble playing this hand in the early stages of the tournament. I've tried playing it aggressively (3-5x BB raise) but I always seem to get some people who will come along for the ride, at which point I feel like unless the flop comes J high or with an ace I don't have much power. I guess this is probably a situation dependent hand, but I got it a number of times tonight and just felt like i threw money away with it each time.

Bremen
10-27-2004, 12:34 AM
I don't know about the more experienced players, but at a full table I don't play AJ. Unless its folded to me in late position. If there are a couple limpers I don't play it either. Quite often the A will be good. However when it isn't you'll lose alot of chips (or you'll have to lay it down alot even when you hit, which isn't a great stratagy if you raised pf). Also too often a K/Q may come on the river that will leave you guessing.

Ogre
10-27-2004, 12:39 AM
AJo is an easy fold for me expecialy durning the first few rounds from early position. From late possition I am folding to a raise and raising if im the first one in. When the blinds get larger and their are less players you can raise with it or push to steal blinds.

mason55
10-27-2004, 12:59 AM
Alright... well I guess that explains why I've had so much trouble playing it. It just looks so promising :-) Thanks for the tips guys.

Eder
10-27-2004, 01:21 AM
AJ is very dependant on position/people at table/size of blinds...late/shorthanded/high blinds...or just say no

mason55
10-27-2004, 01:31 AM
Yeah I don't have any trouble playing it once it gets to around 5 people, its just when it's 7+ that I feel like I'm flushing money down the toilet, so I guess the plan is to just fold until it gets down towards the bubble.

RcrdBoy
10-27-2004, 02:20 AM
I also have realized the AJo in EP isn't great.

Going from $ limit games where it's almost always playable to SnGs and MTTs, where any time you get reraised or called you don't know where you are even if you hit, has been one of the biggest changes for me.

If folded to in MP or LMP then I raise it up, but outside of short handed play (6 or less) I dump it in EP.