PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Hand..

05-05-2002, 01:41 AM
Hello Again Everybody,

Well my week of strange poker phenonemom continued this morning in a $1-5 game. A short session but at least we had a decent profit today, so I am glad to report that my rear-end is healing. =)

Weird hand in 1-5 goes as follows.

I am forced low with 2c. All other 7 players doorcards contain either 2 or 3. ( All of the 2's and 3's are accounted for ) Which by the way happened twice this morning ( fours and fives the other time ) Very strange... Anywhoo...

I bring it in for the full $5. ( I should note that my 1-5 game has a 50 cent ante. I know most of you play 1-5 with no ante )

All fold ( laughingly ) to opponent on my immediate right who raises to $10. ( I have played with this opponent several times and he is a very good player. )

I re-raise to $15 and he calls.

I have (4c4d)2c

His board is (xx)3c

4th

----

(4c4d)2c5c ME-

(xx)3c8s HIM--

He checks and I bet $5..he calls

5th

-----

(4c4d)2c5c9s ME-

(xx)3c8s6s HIM--

I bet $5 now and he calls

6th

---

(4c4d)2c5c9sAc ME-

(4h4d)3c8s6sKh HIM--

I bet $5 again and he calls.

RIVER

------

I catch Ks making me miss my club flush and not giving me a 2nd pair. I decide pot is too big to just give up on. I bet $5 hoping to pull bluff off.

Opponent hesitates, starts laughing, throws $5 in the middle and says 'Well I just got the pair of fours I started with but I have to see what you have'

I WIN with (4c4dKs)Ac9s =)

He loses with (4h4sAs)Kh8s

Would you say

1) I was too aggressive

2) He was too aggressive

3) Played well by both opponents who respect each other and know each other..

Later,

CJ

05-05-2002, 08:31 AM
I believe it was agressive play but played well by two opponents who know each other. Of course either one of you could have been behind when one made another pair. As all the writers say, you must play agressive to maximize profit. This hand points out the perils of agressive play for your opponent sincehe lost the hand. However, he was playing it to the max as you were and you must liv ewiththat. At any point in the hand either one of you could have "chickened out" but your agressive style wouldn't allow it. That hand probably helped both of you get a lot of calls from the $1-5 crowd later in the session.

05-05-2002, 09:32 AM
the third street play seems overaggressive by both of you. why would you reraise to 15? plus his raise is kind of a weak steal. You are better off in this situation not reraising but just calling. also what was your purpose for betting fifth street? he isnt going to fold so a semibluff is wrong, and your hand is not one where you are sure you have the best hand. but the bluff is the right play if you think there is some chance he will fold.

pat

05-08-2002, 04:40 AM
1)

05-09-2002, 03:35 AM
Hello Pat,

Thanks for you response.

Here is my reasoning ( at the time ) why I played this hand the way I did.

3rd...

To start with I think is pretty obvious.. Everyone has duplicated cards and I would have gladly just taken the ante money so I opened up for the max. The re-raise is just a play back at a very obvious re-steal. This opponent is capable of laying down some good hands ( ones that were better than my own holding ) Actually when he just called the re-raise I put him on a small/med pair or a draw.

5th..

This is where I had some difficuly. I still basically have sh*t but I am high. I figure if he was on a club draw he is dropping right there to a bet and might even fold a pair slightly better than mine after I had shown that much aggression. That's the reason for the bet.

6th..

Easy bet. Without pairing my board it was the best card I could have hoped for.

River bet I already explained. Pot warranted it.

Later,

CJ

I think it is interesting to note that if this was a no ante game it would have been played A LOT differently. ( $1 bring in and check-fold )