PDA

View Full Version : lucky or good? 7cs/8

05-04-2002, 02:10 AM
Cards first, betting follows. I missed the suits of the early folds, don't think it matters.

xx/2 J

xx/9s Jh Qh Jc/x

Kc Ks/4d Kh Js 6c/Ah --ME

xx/8

xx/7s 6d 7c As/x

Loose passive game, 5/10.

The 2 brings in, everyone calls except the 8 which folds.

4th: I check, hoping for some calls between the probable bet from xx/76 and me. I just call. I'm not too scared of xx/9J and want to keep him in.

5th: xx/767 bets, xx/9JQ calls, I raise. I'm afraid of a straight draw (I don't think he's already made it). I expect a reraise from xx/767 whereupon a straight draw may well just fold to avoid being squeezed. Alas, xx/767 merely calls as does xx/9JQ.

6th: xx/9JQJ checks and I bet, again hoping for a raise from xx/767A, scaring out the possible straight draw. Again, both call.

7th: xx/9JQJ checks. I don't figure him to check raise a straight since with the probable low behind me, it might be more effective simply to bet into me. And I figure he hasn't much idea what I have since I only started to bet when I drew the J which he knows is a crummy card.

So I bet, xx/767A/x raises, all call.

I am surprised when I scoop the pot.

9s Jh Qh Jc 9c 2s 6s

7s 6d 7c As 4h 4s Ad

Should I have been more aggressive earlier, trying more safely for a smaller pot? Did my early slow-play significantly contribute to the size of the pot? Or were these guys just bad?

05-04-2002, 05:09 AM
Where is this game?

Its hard to think of a worse starting hand than 9sJhQh, and if people are also playing 767 after high cards and low cards have both played then it should be pretty juicy.

KK4 isn't very good either, but I'm assuming you wanted to see what happensby 4th or 5th. As for the play of the hand, nothing wrong with waiting until 5th to raise. This either gets much more money in the pot or allows you to squeese out draws. Your opponents played terribly especially 9JQ man.

05-05-2002, 12:38 AM
They are bad, but not that bad. When I gave you their hands at the end, I listed the upcards first.

(926)9JQJ presumably started with a pair of nines He called a bet on 5th from 7's with a low draw then couldn't stand to fold later on 5th for a raise. Then he chased with 2 pair. All pretty weak, but kinda sorta understandable.

(44A)767A had, by 5th, either 2 pair or the best/only low draw plus a pair. And since his board looks low, it's reasonable to suspect one weak high might try to chase the other out. So I'm not sure he played the hand badly at all. The card gods screwed him with the dreaded 3 pairs.