PDA

View Full Version : Is this too reckless?

Harry
10-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Is is too reckless? I was UTG. 56 players left, 40 gets paid. For whatever it's worth, I've been on this table (#1) since the beginning of the tourney, and had not lost any showdowns up until this point. Hands that I've showed down were QQ JJ AK(twice) and T9o from BB and won with two pair. I did shove all in from button with QJd once when it was folded to me and then blinds folded which was 2 orbits ago. I thought I played really tight/aggressive, maybe too tight??? My stats for this tourney were;

Hands played : 129
Hands won : 8%
Showdowns won : 100%
Flops seen : 7%
Win% if flops seen : 50%

I guess my question is, is pushing all in with KQ from UTG with my stack(2900) and blinds at 200/400 too reckless? I think I can't limp or raise with my stack so I felt that my only moves were all-in/fold. Was that wrong thinking? If that's right thinking should I fold KQ on these spots?

NL Hold'em Trny:6757786 Level:9 Blinds (200/400) - Tuesday, October 26, 20:33:01 EDT 2004
Table Multi-Table(116613) Table #1 (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: LP ( $2140 )
Seat 2: CO ( $3090 )
Seat 5: SB ( $4140 )
Seat 6: BB ( $9400 )
Seat 7: Hero ( $2905 )
Seat 8: Villain ( $12070 )
Seat 10: MP ( $7753 )
Seat 3: Button ( $3965 )
Trny:6757786 Level:9
Blinds (200/400)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Kh Qs ]
Hero is all-In.
Villain calls [2905].
MP folds.
LP folds.
CO folds.
Button folds.
SB folds.
BB folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7h, 4h, Ad ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 3s ]
** Dealing River ** [ 4s ]
Hero shows [ Kh, Qs ] a pair of fours.
Villain shows [ Qd, Qh ] two pairs, queens and fours.
Player Hero finished in 56 place

Thanks for any comments in advance,

adanthar
10-26-2004, 09:41 PM
I would fold here out of position. UTG, KQ is a good hand to either win 600 or lose your stack on.

However, this assumes that you can easily steal as the button (but you probably could've with your image.)

LLXC
10-26-2004, 10:28 PM
7% hands seen. I'd fold if you just limped in and I was in the BB. JK /images/graemlins/wink.gif

RobGW
10-26-2004, 10:29 PM
When you only play 7% of your hands, more often than not you will be shortstacked and be forced to make moves like this. I think loosening up a little bit will help you win chips more often so you can stay out of spots like this. Of course that comes with the assumption that you play well after the flop. If not, then that is what I would be working on if I were you. However, given your situation I don't think going all in with KQ is that bad of a play even though it backfired in this instance. I suppose it would depend on the type of table it is. On an aggressive table you may not get too many opportunites to push. On a tight passive table you can afford to wait until you are in LP.

Lloyd
10-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Another point to be made is what your objective is for the tournament and how long before the blinds increase. Are you just trying to finish in the money? It seems like that was your goal. If so, maybe you pass on this because you have several orbits left presuming the blinds aren't going up soon. If your goal was to try and make a run for a higher finish, then I'd probably push with KQ given how tight you've been playing.

Harry
10-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Well I know if I just post/folded, I could've *probably* finished in the money. I guess my goal is to get to the final table and win one of these. I did finish 2nd once in MTT (out of 400ish field) when I just started playing MTT's online. But I was on a beginner's rush on that tourney.

I did play a bit tight in part b/c I didn't really get much to play with - alot of J4o, K3s etc - and in part b/c I am trying not to lose my stack with hands like 76s trying to emulate gus hansen. Looking at the hand history, I did fold 76s QJs on the spots I probably would have gotten involved before.

I've played mostly STT's since I started playing online and I think I kinda have a feel for STT's - when to be tight, when to get loose, what type of hands/positions/stack vs blinds to get aggressive etc. I guess I'm trying to find that feel equivalent for MTT's.

Harry
10-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Also, one of the reason why I ended up seeing only 7% of flop was b/c two big stacks were right before me and they were doing enough raising preflop. I know I folded 44 from cutoff when it was raised 3xBB. I did come over the top of one big stack's 3xBB(450) raise with AK allin(2000ish) and then showed AK when he folded. I did want to keep the tight image. But that tight image wasn't gonna be too helpful on the hand I got knocked out since he did have QQ and huge stack.

adanthar
10-27-2004, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I know if I just post/folded, I could've *probably* finished in the money. I guess my goal is to get to the final table and win one of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that, with your image, almost every hand that calls you probably has you dominated. You have more folding equity than usual from players who have noticed your image (maybe you get 99 or even TT to fold), but JJ won't, AK won't, and AQ is 50/50. But those are just the tight stacks.

So basically, you either win 600, a loose big stack will wind up calling you with AT, or you get called by a monster. Nothing you dominate or are a favorite to will ever call this all in this late.

Like I said, this is a good hand to win 600 or lose your stack on.

ReDeYES88
10-27-2004, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did play a bit tight in part b/c I didn't really get much to play with - alot of J4o, K3s etc - and in part b/c I am trying not to lose my stack with hands like 76s trying to emulate gus hansen. Looking at the hand history, I did fold 76s QJs on the spots I probably would have gotten involved before.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO you should be playing those suited connectors, but not all the time and not like gus. consider them to be similar to a low pocket pair (no set, no bet). play them for cheap, especially in late position with 3 or more limpers in front of you, and if you don't hit the flop hard, then don't chase with them. have the discipline to muck top pair/weak kicker if someone else shows strength, and don't bet the house on the ignorant end of a straight, an OESD, a medium flush, or two pair (two pair does NOT equal a full house, i remind myself yet again) if it comes your way.

you should always remind yourself that these aren't necessairly hands to double up with (unless you are absolutely sure you have the nuts), but they can turn a nice profit. gus has the uncanny ability to know when his second board pair is best and bet others off of the pot. we are not gus. yes, these can be tricky to play post flop (which is why i strongly recommend having position), but there is potential for strong winnings if the price is right to limp preflop.

__________________________________________________ __________
they can't take your chips from you. . . you can only give them away