PDA

View Full Version : swings

05-04-2002, 12:03 AM
I am a hldm player, but for the past few weeks i have started to work on my stud game,My first few games were great with a couple good wins.But tonight i had my first stud loss.As I said I play hldm usualy 10-20 and 15-30 and started playing stud at the 10-20 level. With hldm i have had loosing days but not like this.In the first hour i was down three BB and had not gone by 3rd st.At the end of 5hr iwas into the game for about15 BB and had only shown down 3 hands.My question is am i playing too tight or are these swings normal?Thanks for the help.

rookie

05-04-2002, 12:28 AM
In general, especially at the higher limits.. You will have much greater swings at Stud than Hold'em.

Later,

CJ

05-04-2002, 01:54 AM
I've been known an hour or so without playing a hand. To spend $60 in an hour at $10/20 stud without staying past third, you must have been the bring-in on more than half the hands. I think I've done that too. I once lost $300 in five hours of $3/6 and $2/4 stud without winning a single hand. You've never lost 15 big bets playing hold'em? How many times have you played in your life, like four? I have bigger swings at hold'em than I do at high-only stud, but I might stink at hold'em. A lot of money tends to go in before the flop, which increases the short-term luck factor in hold'em. It's tough to say whether you played too tight or too loose or what without you posting some hands. Swings like what you describe are extremely common in all forms of poker.

05-04-2002, 02:36 AM
yes i was the bring in but only about 4 or 5 times i have lost in hldm but 15-20 bb seems like alot to me at least in 5 hours. thanks for the view

05-04-2002, 02:45 AM
Rookie,

See some of my posts below, you will learn quickly about swings in stud.

Later,

CJ

05-04-2002, 04:23 AM
About 3 weeks ago, I left a four hour session playing 10-20 at the Mirage. I dropped about 20 big bets.

As I was walking hope, I tried to figure out why I lost so bady that day. I was able to replay, in my head, the hands which cost me the most money. My conclusion was that I played all of them correctly. On a couple occasions, I played live draws which didn't get there and I had to fold a no-pair hand on the river. A few other hands were ones in which I held a big pair on 3rd street and bet the whole way only get beat on the river (either by a flush when I made two-pair or by two-pair when I didn't improve).

So, it's not difficult to play correctly and still have a losing day- even a big losing day.

BTW, I'm amazed you a haven't had a 15 big bet losing day in Hold'em.

05-04-2002, 08:15 AM

05-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Fifteen big bets is nothing. Really. I am a significant winner, and these are the biggest swings I've had, in terms of big bets, at least that I can think of off the top of my head:

Hold'em +53/-60

Stud +70/-60

Stud/8 +108/-37

If losing $300 in a night bothers you, and there's no shame in that, play smaller than $10/20.

05-04-2002, 10:22 PM
this is not true at low limit stud. at 10-20 and below your swings should be fairly small (but bigger than you might like). Once you get to 15-30 this changes. I am not sure that the swings are more at 15-30 stud versus 15-30 holdem. Especially in many holdem games where lost of money goes in on the flop.

Pat