PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky stud/8 3rd st folds

05-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Played $4/8 stud/8 for a couple of hours just now. Wondering about these two 3rd St folds I made. What do you think? -

1) The 2s brings in, Ah raises, Jd & 9s fold. I fold Ac8h/4h. The 7d and Qh are behind me.

2) The 3c brings in. I fold next with 5h8h/4s. The Kd, 6s, 6h, 6d, 7h, Jc are still to act.

Too tight? I feel the second hand is maybe not so dubious, looking at it now, with all those 6's gone. How much value would you place on the two-flushes in either case?

All comments appreciated.

G

05-02-2002, 10:46 PM
first hand your fold was correct. in the second hand I would like to limp in and see the next card. In this game the worst mistake is to call on fouth street after you caught bad and your opponent caught good. This is when you need to play tight

bigstu

05-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Funny, I thought the second hand was more of an obvious fold on afterthought. It's basically a bust hand, with three 6's out, leaving just a draw to an eight.

In the first hand, an A raising always scares me, so I thought I'd just stay out of the way.

05-03-2002, 04:43 PM
I think I would have seen one more card in both and check/fold if I caught bad. Don't have stud/8 where I normally play, so may be wrong.

05-03-2002, 09:29 PM
Both are easy folds. 8s for low suck. 2 flush does not mean much here. A live 3 flush might help.

Hand 1: Your Ace is dead when the other Ace raises. Two other hearts are dead also and your Ace is not a heart.

Hand 2: Three 6s and a 7 are dead, so bad straight possibilities. Easy fold.

05-04-2002, 12:47 AM
Both solid folds--especially the latter with all the dead tens and really no prospects for a good low.

05-04-2002, 01:56 AM
Case (2) is a clear fold, but I might take a card off in case (1), with my 8 hidden. If the ace bricks up on fourth street and I catch a baby, I'm going to town with the hand, and may well take the whole pot then and there. If the ace takes the heat in spite of bricking, then he's *probably* got a pair of them, and my otherwise crappy low is starting to look good. If I make a low on sixth street while the ace catches another bad one, I can make him sweat a lot, because my board will very likely look straight, and I may well have a straight draw at that point.

If the ace catches good, on the other hand, I'm in much worse shape, and would probably play a lot more carefully -- maybe even folding on fourth street.

05-04-2002, 05:24 AM
Graham, I wouldn't play either of these hands with your money let alone mine.