PDA

View Full Version : bad beat or bad play?

05-02-2002, 01:58 PM
7cs/8 3 handed

me: (6s 8d) 6d

(xx) Th

him: (xx) Js

I bring in, Th folds, Js completes I call. Here's all the cards:

me (6s 8d) 6d Jc Jh 6h (3h)

him (9d Qd Jd) Js Td Kd 5s

4th St: he bets, I call

5th: I check, he bets, I call

6th: I check, he bets, I raise, he calls

7th: I bet, he raises, I reraise, he re-reraises, I call

Away from the heat of battle, my last reraise seems foolish. But what was he doing betting into me on 6th? Anyway, the real question seems to be whether I should have folded on 4th of 5th and avoided this catastrophe.

Comments?

05-02-2002, 04:20 PM
All right! I'm not the only guy here who plays three-handed stud/8! I think I abandon this hand on fourth street. Your dubious low shot is gone, and you're most likely behind for the high. People don't raise with Jacks because they think that people fear Jacks in this game. They raise because they have some semblance of a hand, something that's all over a pair of sixes with a dead kicker. That Ten fit in pretty well with his door card (and exceptionally well with his hole cards, as it turns out). Checking and calling on fifth is a reasonable course as any, I suppose. I'd probably bet, but then again, I like betting. /images/smile.gif I would definitely bet sixth, because I really don't think check-raises work very often when you're showing two pair, but I'm always surprised by what people do in this game (including myself). Three-betting the river seems reasonable, and that's probably what I'd do, especially in the heat of battle. Since you're representing a full house, however, you have to ask yourself what he's raising with.

05-02-2002, 05:20 PM
I think there's a strong case for folding on 4th. Just exactly how do you expect to win on this hand? You needed to catch a lot better.

On 6th he's betting in case you have only two pair. The way you played it, it looks like maybe you do.

On 7th, the reraise isn't so bad. It depends a lot on your opponent. Some players get pretty frisky with a flush on the river and some won't bet like this without at least a full house. You know he can't have jacks full, so he'd have to have tens or kings full or a straight flush to beat you, and these seem unlikely, especially the tens full.

TRLS