PDA

View Full Version : what is the worst stud mistake?

05-02-2002, 01:49 PM
a friend and i were discussing this issue, i.e. what is the worst mistake that players routinely make. We werent talking about something like "raising with a pair when your opponent has quads," but general things. The suggestion i had was either failing to reraise a raiser when you have the highest upcard, or calling a high card's raise with a medium pair and no kicker. we werent sure how to really "calculate" what the worst mistake was, so I thought it would be interesting to see what others thought.

Pat

05-02-2002, 02:53 PM
routinely buy in for about the minimum buy-in.

I think that is one of the worst mistakes a player can make.

Just last night,a player went "all in" with quad 6's while his opponent had a Str. flush.

There was 18 bucks in the pot --not enough to qualify for the jack-pot of 10000. The pot needed 2.00 more(loL)!

Talk about a "bad beat"!

Several months ago,within a period of two weeks,I had K's full cracked 3 times.

However,I was a winner because each time my opponent went "all in". These opponents would have gotten about 200.00 to 300.00 more from me.

I laughed all the way home!

I believe another big mistake is "checking in the dark".

Several years ago,I had a set of J's going into 7th Str. while my opponent connected with A's full.

I "checked in the dark" and he bet the max with A's full. I just called without looking at my hand.

I connected with quads!

I certainly would have obtained more chips than what was in the pot!

My opponent and poker buddy,Greg"The Machine" Rolling,laughed all the way to the toilet! LOL!

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

05-02-2002, 04:03 PM
I think that the most costly mistake is routinely calling against paired door cards.

There is actually a mathematical advantage to being all-in, so buying in for a small amount can make sense, particularly if you stink. My game of choice is stud/8, and there is a good bit of jamming, and players who are chasing can really be put through the wringer. Since I am the squeezor a lot more than I am the squeezee, I rarely have much less than $1000 in front of me for a $30/60 game.

Checking in the dark is something I never do. I also almost never bet in the dark. I just don't want to give away any information on those occasions where I fail to act in the dark. I think the fact that I check my river card even when I'm made induces a lot of calls that I want. Your mistake on your quad jacks hand was not checking in the dark, but failing to look at your river card after the other guy bet.

05-02-2002, 04:49 PM
The suggestion i had was either failing to reraise a raiser when you have the highest upcard

This doesn't sound like a mistake at all. I routinely fold in this situation- unless I actually have a hand.

05-02-2002, 04:58 PM
I'm surprised by the answers that have been posted so far. They don't even compare to most players' inability to adjust the value of their hand based on the exposed cards.

I see players routinely playing "good" cards which are dead. It is especially common for players to play 3-flushes when 3 or more of their suit is exposed on 3rd street. I also see players calling on 3rd street with a hand like split 7's when one of their 7's is dead.

A less common mistake is for otherwise good players to muck "weak" hands which are very live. I've seen players fold hands such as (Ah,2h,)2c,5s,Th on 5th street because they think they are up against Kings, Queens, or Jacks. If your cards are live (2's, Aces, Hearts, 3's and 4's), then this is a very playable hand.

05-02-2002, 05:18 PM
is the worst and easest stud mistake to make.

05-02-2002, 05:20 PM
Calling all the way and then folding to a single

bet on the river when it's heads-up and you can

beat your opponnents board.

05-02-2002, 05:29 PM
I guess it depends on what you mean by "worst".

If you mean the mistake that is the most costly because of its accumulated toll on the player's bankroll over a period of time, then I would have to say poor starting hand selection. This, however, is kind of general, because it is the result of other sub-mistakes, namely not evaluating position correctly, not evaluating opponents' betting correctly, not evaluating the upcards correctly, not know the odds of improving, etc.

If you mean the costliest mistake a player can make on a one-time basis, then it has to be folding on the river when the pot is huge and you can beat all of your opponents' boards.

Otherwise I think it's splitting hairs to try to sort out which mistakes are worse than others. There are lots of mistakes that a stud player can make, but it's hard to measure their actual effect.

TRLS

05-02-2002, 09:23 PM
Big mistake (especially in 7cs/8):

calling on 4th st. when you catch a brick.

This is very costly in 7cs/8 when chasing lows; I see it happen all the time.

05-02-2002, 09:39 PM
i meant if you had a pair. sorry!!

Pat

05-02-2002, 09:41 PM
>

this is more of the type of mistake we were discussing. not a general concept such as "play live cards," but a strategical mistake in a specific situation.

Pat

05-03-2002, 01:04 AM
Betting into a players "paired door card" has cost me more money than I can shake a stick at.

Thank God those days are long gone.

The R.

05-03-2002, 01:52 AM

05-03-2002, 02:05 AM
I would love to understand this theme better, but your example is too easy. I find myself confused with somewhat weaker hands. For instance, adjust your example so my overcard is K instead of A and an ace is showing on the board. I expect (but can't be sure) that the ace showing is another player's overcard to a likely middle pair. Now what? What if we take away the 3 flush? Or make it not so live? Or make the middle cards less live? I understand that for my hand to be playable my pair and the overcard absolutely must be very live, but how much leeway is there on the other factors? What if I have 2 overcards, but not so live?

I would love to see examples of borderline call/fold decisions around these questions. Does it depend on the nature of the game (loose, tight, passive, aggressive)?

05-03-2002, 03:28 AM
If the pot is multi-way, I think you can get away with calling one raise with (2h,5h)8h. However, I want two players calling the raise before me and I can't have more than one heart exposed on third street.

Live pair cards wouldn't mean much to me here. Although, I prefer that the 8's be live in case I catch one on fourth street and can semi-bluff with a paired door card.

05-03-2002, 09:25 AM
Also, the value of live cards goes up as the hand goes on. If it's fifth street, two other players in and you have a pair, an ace, a king and a baby against a probable pair of unimproved queens, you are in a much better spot if no aces and kings have yet shown. Especially if it doesn't look like either opponent would be particularly likely to have one in the hole. On fifth, you've seen at least 16 cards. 36 remain unseen. So if all six aces and kings are live, you've got a one in six chance of hitting an ace or king on each of the next two cards to make top two pair. If you've seen just one ace and one king, your chances are one in nine -- big difference. Throw in a live draw, or make some of your opponent's cards dead and you've got a lot of valuable information about your chances at this point. I agree that failing to track liveness of your cards and deadness of your opponents is a huge hole, even more so because it weakens your hand-reading tremendously not to make adjustments based on what's out.

05-03-2002, 10:10 AM
The suggestion i had was... calling a high card's raise with a medium pair and no kicker.

That's my pick, followed closely by getting married to your semi-dead small-ish two pair you'll make on 4th st, only to be shown a bigger two pair on the river from the guy that raised back on 3rd.

Doc.

05-03-2002, 07:40 PM
not raising on later streets for tactical reasons.

starting out with hands that should have been folded that look pretty

folding on sixth street

folding on the end