PDA

View Full Version : My Bay 101 Open Trip Report

PGarlic
10-26-2004, 01:38 PM
First Post, have been lurking for a few weeks now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, I won my seat to this event via a satelite and had been looking forward to playing for some time.I was planning on buying in direct If I hadn't though. I ended up getting 11th place. I'll go over some big hands for me.

Hand 1 - probably my 5th or so hand i get KK under the gun.
Blinds were 25/25 at this point. We started with 5,000 chips.At this point in the tournament players were playing resonably tight, trying to get a 'feel' for other players. I thought I would benefit most from limping, so that's what I did. The player on my left limps as well, all fold to SB who completes, BB checks.
The flop comes Q high, 2 clubs. SB checks, BB bets about 2/3 of the pot. I'm thinking BB either has 2 pair or flush draw, I flat call,expecting the player on my left to fold, he calls! uh oh! What have i got myself into! I did not like this situation at all, My thoughts: BB could have 2 pair or flush draw, player on left has the flush draw or a queen. Turn brings a blank. BB bets about 2/3 the pot again,hmmmmm, "should i move in" i thought, maybe the BB is protecting a hand, not semi bluffing. I decide calling puts me in the best spot with another player left to act, I call so does player on left. Pot is about 5,000. River blanks, BB checks his busted draw, i check, player on left bets 1,000, "What would he bet 1,000 on " I thought, I call. He flips over KQ and I'm off to a good start.

After our table broke I got seated at table 2, where i was destined to sit directly to the right of a an agressive player with a massive chip lead. Directly to the left of the chip leader was a short stack. I thought this was a terrible situation for me. It would be very difficult for me to pick up blinds with the chip leader pushing me out of my small blind or the short stack moving in on me, basically it would be hard for me to get BOTH of them to relinquish their blinds to me.

Hand 2 - This hand was critical if not in a chip sense but a pcychological one . Blinds were 400/800 I think.I was in the SB with A10, and it was folded to me. I decided to limp and try to take a free flop, or if raised, move in. Well sure enough i was raised quite a bit, 3 or 4 thousand I believe. and after thinking for a while i moved in, the player on my left eventually folded. Now i've established to the player on my left, and to the table of what i'm capable of, and will not be bullied.

Hand 3 - This hand pretty much guaranteed me a money finish. Blinds were 800/1600 I think.I'm in the BB with Q8 of spades. A Player in MP who just sat down recently min raised ( actually he anounced "raise" but didn't put in quite enough for the minimum, obviously he had to complete the raise). Folded to me, I call and take a flop.
flop: Q89 . I check, planning to move in on a bet. To my surprise he moves in on me! This was a massive over bet on the pot. At this point i had a decent size chip stack, and there were 30 players remaining, 18 got paid. I was just bearly covered by the bettor. I thought for a while and put him on AA or KK. What else could he have? A stone bluff? J10 or a set? with an overpair, and this bet, he protects his hand as the flop is quite textured, also he may lewer in someone who has a lone queen.Also, I thought my appearence may have influenced his decision, As I am quite young looking (bearly 21), and do not have a threatening presence about me, he probably thought he would take down the pot 100 percent. Unfortunately for him, I flopped two pair, and after thinking for a while, called. He flips over AA. I filled up on the river and doubled up, leaving him with virtually no chips.

Overall i was quite impressed with the level of play, especially near the end. I think I learned a few things that I will try to impliment in future tournaments.

I thought the tournament was run very well. No disputes that I was aware of, friendly staff,friendly players, and a good structure.

PS- If anyone from these forums remembers me from the tourney ( youngish looking guy with beanie on, and pawn piece for a card protector (lol) don't be shy to say hi to me at future tournaments.