PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto: Who got it?

ArchAngel71857
10-26-2004, 01:33 PM
I got to Blockbuster at 10 to rent it. Can't buy it yet, I will get nothing done.

So far, the game is awesome. HUGE. I have spent the past three hours driving around and have barely even covered half of the first city.

The stats are amazing, You can improve your stamina, health, fat, muscle. YOu have to work out to stay in shape and eat food to stop from losing energy, but eat too much food and you get fat. I haven't read anything about the game so I could enjoy everything new all at once. So if you knew this already, sorry.

So far the only voice I have recognized is Samuel L. Jackson.

The graphics are good. Bout the same as VC and better than GTA 3. The early 90's cars are so good. First off I got a PCJ motorcycle and had some fun with that.

The soundtrack is unbelievable. They have a House station. Every genre is covered. They only have one talk channel (I think).

They have also introduced the driving skills, flying skills, etc. So you can't go into the airport if your flying skill isn't high enough (go to the pilot school), and you can't enter some races until your driving skill is higher.

I know some of you out there left work to go get it and are faking sick. What do you think so far. My roommate had to tell me to stop playing to eat lunch. Looking forward to getting my work done so I can buy this and spend all of november and december inside.

But I don't think I will have beaten the game by then.

-AA

daryn
10-26-2004, 01:42 PM
with all this talk i'm thinking about getting the first game and starting from scrath here. i have played it but didn't think it was anything special. am i missing something? do you guys just find it fun to drive around on a video game?

i really enjoy driving around in my jeep on a summer day, but i can't imagine that it's the same if i'm playing a video game.

nolanfan34
10-26-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with all this talk i'm thinking about getting the first game and starting from scrath here.

[/ QUOTE ]

First game being GTA3 I think. The first two I don't think are really the same game, and probably not worth the time.

I'm in the same boat, GTA3 and Vice City are cheap enough now maybe I'll try to see what the fuss is about.

mmbt0ne
10-26-2004, 01:56 PM
You can probably find the first two games bundled together if you really want to buy them. They started selling them this way right before Christmas last year I think.

astroglide
10-26-2004, 02:26 PM
i would consider it but i've seen it played and absolutely hate aiming crosshairs (guns) with a directional pad

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 02:30 PM
dude, you push R1 for auto aim and to lock on to targets.
Shooting people is not a problem.

astroglide
10-26-2004, 02:57 PM
that's still much kludgier than using a mouse. i saw a mission being played where somebody was shooting rockets at a helicopter and he was wrestling with the controls. like, the challenge wasn't doing what needed to be done, the challenge was using the shitty controller with its shitty controls to do what could be done instantly and easily with a mouse. i think the difficulty should be in the doing, not in the interface.

that's why i didn't like metal gear solid too. i got to the boss where you have to shoot him and it was just a joke. pivoting in place and trying to aim a gun. i wasn't fighting a boss, i was fighting the controller. that's bad interface design.

ArchAngel71857
10-26-2004, 10:52 PM
I haven't progressed very far in the storyline. So far I have been working out, eating (this game makes me hungry for fast food), spray painting my gang signs all over the place, buying clothes, getting tattoos and hairstyles, and trying to pick up a hooker. Not in real life, I have been doing all these things in the game. Right now I am sproting the afro with the mustache, the gun tattoo on my back and an R.I.P. cross on my left arm; black tank top with urban camo pants and black low tops. The hookers respond to my hydraulic convertible. I bench pressed 320 pounds 30 times.

Best thing I have discovered so far: CHARLIE MURPHY! is a voice of one of the characters.

-AA

MarkL444
10-26-2004, 11:05 PM
Is this out or coming out on the Xbox soon?

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 02:06 AM
haha, nope

sublime
10-27-2004, 02:07 AM
he lives!

Alobar
10-27-2004, 03:47 AM
hahah, sweet, im sorting the fro and stash too. Im obsessed with the gym too.

billyjex
10-27-2004, 04:52 AM
Do you drive around in your jeep, killing anyone you want and then running from the police, dodging bullets, exploding cars, mobbing jumps, and then getting out of your car and blowing up the cops? Probably not.

GTA 3, Vice City are the best games you will find on a console. Reading the reviews for San Andreas, it sounds like it's ever more incredible.

Trust me.. you won't be dissapointed.

Oski
10-27-2004, 05:00 AM
If you try to swim over to Las Vegas or San Fran before you "open" the game, the SWAT team goes after you (includes helicopters). The citizens also form a vigilante to stop you from being in those cities.

You can only drive around in Las Vegas or San Fran; nothing is "open."

The graphics are unreal (well, yes, literally). If you climb up to the Hollywood sign, you can see huge portions of the game and downtown L.A.

Very cool.

daryn
10-27-2004, 05:00 AM
i have already said that i did play GTA3 a few times and just found it boring. it's basically just driving around.

Lawrence Ng
10-27-2004, 08:43 AM
Gamespot gave it a 9.6 rating. I will buy it soon when all the pre-orders fill up first at EB.

Bulldog
10-27-2004, 08:49 AM
You nailed it. I got about six hours in last night (had a bball game also). The hair, the clothes, several missions, and just cruising around learning the area and checking out the countryside. And what, 1/6 of the map is open to me?

On my countryside cruise I found some better vehicles than what's available in the 'hood. The motorcycle was useful for the off-road trek (the railroad access road, cool) and the bicycle is strangely cool.

I have a poker game at my house tonight and I'm seriously considering not playing just so I can get back at GTA.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Are they making this game for XBox?

daveymck
10-27-2004, 10:04 AM
I am sure that they have a contract with SOny so that it will only be out on the PS2 Console. Plus a PC version donth think any of the other games have come out on any other patform, but I may be wrong.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Well I saw the GTA bundle pack for XBox yesterday...

daveymck
10-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Found this but cant find anythin on the new game, its over a year old news page.

Rob Fahey 16:36 16/07/2003
Rockstar ate my exclusivity agreement

Rockstar Games may be planning to sidestep its exclusivity deal with Sony and bring the multi-million selling Grand Theft Auto: Vice City to the Xbox as soon as this Christmas, according to a news report today.

American games website IGN.com claims that the publisher may use a loophole in its exclusivity agreement with Sony and release the game on Xbox using the name "Vice City" - dropping the Grand Theft Auto moniker entirely.

Porting the game to the Xbox would certainly be a pretty simple task for developers Rockstar North, since the title uses the cross-platform Renderware architecture and there's already a PC version in existence. If Rockstar wanted an Xbox version for Christmas, there's no doubt that one could be ready, in theory.

Much of this rumour seems to be borne out of the comments made on a financial conference call by Take Two CEO Jeffrey Lapin, who hinted that a major Rockstar title would appear on the Xbox at the start of Take 2's fiscal 2004 - which runs from November to January. However, there's absolutely no confirmation that this title is a Grand Theft Auto game, with Take 2 refusing to comment on the rumours.

If Rockstar really is planning to exploit a contractual loophole in its deal with Sony, the fallout will be interesting to watch. Rockstar may well believe that right now, the success of Grand Theft Auto makes them so valuable to Sony that an infraction like this will be ignored - and they may well be right. Rockstar North is certainly one of Sony's preferred early developers for PlayStation 3, and the prospect of the GTA franchise going exclusively to Xbox 2 early in the next-generation race would make blood drain from the faces of a lot of SCEE and SCEA executives.

daveymck
10-27-2004, 10:45 AM
From the official press release from Take Two

Earlier this week Rockstar announced Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the next iteration in the globally successful franchise. Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and is expected to be in stores in North America on October 19, 2004 and in Europe on October 22, 2004.

Looks like the PC version will be out next year. I Suspect Xbox 2 and PS3 will be out before this game hits xbox.

MrGo
10-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Oh well. I got NHL '04 yesterday for $15. lol /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Okay, TSC's review thus far.

There is probably nothing cooler than driving around on a drive by bumping "Nuthin But a G Thang", completely sick. MC Eiht is awesome as Ryder, perfect voice and slang, "Giaah!". Young Maylay also sounds good as CJ. The missions are freakin hard! I have been working out a lot and getting acclamated with East Los Santos which is also massive. Checked out one of the small towns. Last night I was in need of some money and I walked around looking for people to mug and I stumbled upon a white convertable, so I say what the hell and hop in and guess what happens, and R3 pimping side mission!!! Pulled down 4k easily from my hos, now that was tight.

Can't wait to play after work.

ilya
10-27-2004, 12:00 PM
This game is absurd. Move up the gangbanger ranks by mastering challenging minigames!
However the sense of place is good as there's lots of variety to the architecture. The car selection is cool. The music is decent, although it makes you realize how much of the best hip-hop is from the last 10 years.
On-foot aiming is still up there with the worst of them.
You can customize your character to no end, woohoo! Who cares. What a waste of time.
Is the script a parody? I hope so.

ilya
10-27-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure.

The other ones are out for XBox, so it's just a matter of time before San Andreas makes it. Good thing too, it could definitely use the higher processing power.

ilya
10-27-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From the official press release from Take Two

Earlier this week Rockstar announced Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the next iteration in the globally successful franchise. Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and is expected to be in stores in North America on October 19, 2004 and in Europe on October 22, 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

This means nothing. There will be an Xbox version.
Do you want to bet?

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure.

The other ones are out for XBox, so it's just a matter of time before San Andreas makes it. Good thing too, it could definitely use the higher processing power.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haven't noticed anything about fram rate or anything. Only quibble I have with the game is the graphics aren't great and the auto aim is still a little screwey.

ilya
10-27-2004, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, nope

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding, of course it is.

ilya
10-27-2004, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haven't noticed anything about fram rate or anything. Only quibble I have with the game is the graphics aren't great and the auto aim is still a little screwey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the car and character models could use some more detail and the whole game could be higher-res. Also there's some pop-up when you're driving fast.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha, nope

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
it was a quick answer, it'll be on XBox probably a year and a half from now.

ilya
10-27-2004, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gamespot gave it a 9.6 rating. I will buy it soon when all the pre-orders fill up first at EB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gamespot is a hype whore.

Not that San Andreas isn't a good game. I'm just saying.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 12:09 PM
the lack of character detail does nothing to detract my attention away from the gameplay.

ilya
10-27-2004, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha, nope

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
it was a quick answer, it'll be on XBox probably a year and a half from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say a year but I'm sure we can agree to mildly disagree.

ilya
10-27-2004, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the lack of character detail does nothing to detract my attention away from the gameplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, fair enough. Actually now that I think of it the biggest thing for me would probably be load times. They're better than they were, but still a bit annoying. Especially the initial load when you turn the game on.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 12:18 PM
yeah the initial load sucks, but the other load times don't bother me at all. I think I have gotten use to them.

mmbt0ne
10-27-2004, 12:21 PM
The best part is no load times between areas. Even though the map is something like 6x as big as Vice City's you can drive wherever you want and the environment just streams.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 12:37 PM
have you gotten to any of the other cities?

mmbt0ne
10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Not yet. I'm still only about 7% of the way through the game. I'm about to go play again though, so I'll let you know as soon as I do.

_2000Flushes
10-27-2004, 01:57 PM
The best thing by far about this game is the ability to use the old Contra code after the first city. I won't spoil the surprise, but let's just say it's worth getting fat and staying fat.

Very kick-ass.

-2kF

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 04:20 PM
damnit, I can't wait to get home from work and play this game. This day has been hella long so far. Three more hours...... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

nolanfan34
10-27-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best thing by far about this game is the ability to use the old Contra code after the first city.

[/ QUOTE ]

As with most 2KF posts, I can't decide if this is a joke or not. If it's true, I may have to buy a PS2 just for this fact alone.

It would make sense actually...I'm surprised other games haven't built in the most famous video game code of all-time into their games.

ArchAngel71857
10-27-2004, 08:54 PM
2kf is kidding. But I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar did something like that. Fun stuff I have discovered so far:

Trying to swim to the other cities, I got capped by the swat team.

I bought my first safe house. IN my bedroom it has a picture of Jenna Jameson's character from Vice City getting done doggystyle. It's hanging above my bed.

I found the Off Track Betting. You can bet on horses and watch the races. The horses names range from Wong's Wang to Cunning Lingus. I bet on Gluestick (or something) and lost.

My friend has his character modeled after DMX. Absolutely ripped, no shirt, dog tags, camo pants, doo rag. Then he changed it to a cowboy hat and a black bandana like an old west bandit.

Aside from the standard police, taxi, hospital, and fire side missions, you now have burglary side missions. At night you take your truck drive to people's houses and gank thier [censored]. I stole 5 crates of guns.

You can finally SWIM in the game.

Best radio commercial I have heard so far:

"IMMERSION THERAPY! IT really works! I used to be dysfunctional because I wanted to sleep with my mother. Then I did, and I'm all better! I used to be scared my kids would get hurt so I would never let them out of the house. Then I stabbed them, so now I don't worry anymore! IMMERSION THERAPY!"

-AA

nolanfan34
10-27-2004, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2kf is kidding. But I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar did something like that. Fun stuff I have discovered so far:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm just starting GTA3, so I didn't know if there were really codes or not.

This new one sounds fun, by the time I get through this, and Vice City, it'll probably finally be out on PC...

PhatTBoll
10-27-2004, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely ripped, no shirt, dog tags, camo pants, doo rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, this is exactly how my dude is decked out.

By the way, there are plenty of codes for GTA3 and Vice City, and I would imagine they are just waiting to be discovered for SA. Just do a Google search.

Has anybody else noticed that the motorcycle missions are ridiculously hard?

ArchAngel71857
10-27-2004, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely ripped, no shirt, dog tags, camo pants, doo rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, this is exactly how my dude is decked out.

By the way, there are plenty of codes for GTA3 and Vice City, and I would imagine they are just waiting to be discovered for SA. Just do a Google search.

Has anybody else noticed that the motorcycle missions are ridiculously hard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but I kind of chalked that up to my bike skill not being high enough to not fall off every time i hit a bush or a curb or something.

-AA

PhatTBoll
10-27-2004, 09:55 PM
No even when you don't fall down they're hard as hell.

_2000Flushes
10-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Well, you did it this time. They're fishing your car out of Lake LeBlanc.

-2kF

ArchAngel71857
10-28-2004, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you did it this time. They're fishing your car out of Lake LeBlanc.

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh, no we just parked it across the street.

-AA

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 10:59 AM
anyone have the strategy guide?

craig r
10-28-2004, 11:05 AM
i got it yesterday! There is so much more than i thought.

NoChance
10-28-2004, 11:07 AM
I broke down and bought the game, a PS2, and the strategy guide last night. Yep, spent about $270 just to figure out what all the fuss is about.

Now, having said that, I have NO experience with any previous versions. I had no clue what to do. At first I didn't look at the strategy guide. I wanted to play around a bit and figure some things out on my own. I pretty much learned how to run and punch people, then eventualy how to steal cars, etc. That was pretty cool.

After about 3 hours of just messing around, I started in on the strategy guide and finally figured out what the game is about. I finished the first 3 missions and now understand what to look for.

Now that I know a little more what to look for, I may start over from scratch and not use the guide unless I absolutely need to. I think it's more fun to just figure thigs out for yourself.

*This seriously cut into my poker hours as I didn't play Hold Em at all last night.

craig r
10-28-2004, 11:08 AM
if you can do it without the strategy guide and not had played a previous version you are a better man than i. there are so many new things that were not in the old ones.

craig

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 11:11 AM
I know what to do and and everything, the level is just huge though and I am afraid I am missing things, plus I want to get all the tags and oyesters! plus whatever potentially fun mini games there are.

craig r
10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
there is so much stuff...and it is the little things..like what types of clothes to wear, that you should eat salad meals not junk food, etc...the guide is 270+ pages...you should definitely get...it was $15 after 20% off at game crazy.

craig

NoChance
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
I don't think I can do it without the guide but i am sure going to do the best I can.

The guy at the store said he doubts anyone can complete over 50% of the game without the guide. It's just so huge and so many new things were added. I don't know if this was just his sales pitch or not. Like I said, no previous experience for me so I can't say.

craig r
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
I don't know if i will complete 50% with the fing guide.

NoChance
10-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Good luck with the tags and oysters without the guide. The game is too large to find them all without it. I just took a glace at some of the locations and many are hidden pretty good.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 11:18 AM
I heard on gamefaqs that once you finish all the missions in Los Santos, there are about 15 other missions in the countryside before you can move on to San Fierro.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 11:19 AM
I have about 14-15 tags found, I keep finding them when I don't have my spray can, but atleast you can put a marker on the map and come back to it.

NoChance
10-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Yeah, there are about 6 or 7 chapters according to the guide.

craig r
10-28-2004, 11:20 AM
I haven't looked at the guide enough...i still try to do some things in order so i will be suprised. i hope that is not true though, because i want to be able to go through the whole place...someone had said that it takes 30 minutes to drive from one end to the other non-stop.

NoChance
10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but atleast you can put a marker on the map and come back to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is news to me. I didn't know you could do that. I still don't know how to work the controls or figured out all my options yet.

craig r
10-28-2004, 11:23 AM
read the instruction manual that came with the game

craig r
10-28-2004, 11:24 AM
are we nerds now?

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 11:27 AM
hit start, go to the map, hit x to bring in a close up view of map, use O to put a marker on the map. When you want to remove it, go back to your map and hit O to remove it.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
are we nerds now?

[/ QUOTE ]who cares /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NoChance
10-28-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
are we nerds now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. I figured I needed something to do to keep from getting burned out on Hold Em. This should do it.

Bulldog
10-28-2004, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I broke down and bought the game, a PS2, and the strategy guide last night.

*This seriously cut into my poker hours as I didn't play Hold Em at all last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where'd you get the guide?

Last night, poker at my house, but I really wanted to play GTA. We play with rebuys. Third hand, I'm all in with AK against 88 and lose. I decide to make one rebuy. Next hand, all in with KK vs AA on the flop with no help, K on the turn and I double up. I honestly was going to go play GTA and be out after four hands. Then I end up winning the thing. A few guys stayed to play another, I went downstairs for two hours of GTA.

Coolest thing I had happen so far--I'm on a stretch of highway out near the countryside. I want a motorcycle to cruise the hillside, so I try to wreck a guy to take his bike. I turn into him just beyond the entrance to a little tunnel, my car sideways blocking both lanes. I hop out to grab the bike and my car starts sliding toward me. I get out of the way in time to see an 11-car pileup (no lie) with a few of them on fire and then exploding. Very cool.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 01:23 PM
have you done the "Just Business" mission? That is where the video of your guy jumping over an exloding truck on a motorcycle comes from. It was sweet, and almost Terminator 2ish. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bulldog
10-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Not yet. Sounds pretty sweet though. There are some cool jumps near the RR tracks. I've only got about 6-8 hours in so far, and half of those are random cruising, scoping things out.

I do like riding a BMX bike toward oncoming cars and bunny hopping over them, especially if you can hop again off the car!

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 01:50 PM
I got about 7-8 hours into the game, 10% done so far. Do they give you money for hopping over the cars? you get money for doing wheelies, which are really easy.

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 01:51 PM
I am seriously considering going and buying a PS2 because I am not sure I can wait for it on XBox. Jerks.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 01:59 PM
someone said they thought it would be a year until it was on XBOX, I am leaning more torwards 2 though. It took a long time before VC was available to xbox owners.

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 02:06 PM
I dont think 2 years because they can make so much money by porting it to Xbox as quickly as they can. I think a year is a reasonable estimate.

My wife bought me the GTA3/VC combo pack just before I went on my last deployment. Hows that for a good woman?

NoChance
10-28-2004, 02:09 PM
During the first few hours when I was just running around "learning" the game, I did something cool that I thought was a bug in the game but apparently it isn't.

I traveled north along the countryside on the west side of the map. I found a few small urban areas where there were tons of motorcycles parked outside, easy for the taking. So, I jumped on one and took off. Eventually after running into things it started on fire. I knew enough to jump off and get away from it before it exploded. Well I jumped off but didn't know the controls well yet and somehow jumped in the air. I was in the middle of the highway and there was a car that was just passing at me when I jumped. Somehow I ended up on the roof of the car. I thought it was cool because I was out in the middle of the country and was getting a free ride.

Oh, and there was one time a ran someone over and his dead carcus was stuck on top of my car. After swerving to the right and left, hitting a few things, he finally fell off.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 02:13 PM
They key is they have a contract with Sony. It may be a year, but don't be surprised if its longer.

Did you get to play on the carrier?

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 02:16 PM
haha. awesome man, I love crusing through the mountains just flying off cliffs with my car, then landing, doing severall rolls, and then drive off.

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They key is they have a contract with Sony. It may be a year, but don't be surprised if its longer.

Did you get to play on the carrier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously the license with Sony is a major marketing plus for them but eventually they'll have to give into Rockstar. I think the Xbox combo pack is how Rockstar got around the license with GTA3.

As for playing on the carrier, oh yes. I lived in a room with 6 other dudes (one of the perks of being an officer) and it was tight. We had two Xboxes networked together so lots of Halo multiplayer..and I mean a lot. We also had a dude with PS2 and I brought along my Dreamcast, N64, and PS1. Also we had our laptops networked together with dudes in all the other rooms in our level so we had massive Call of Duty wars.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 02:25 PM
that sounds like a lot of fun man. Which carrier were you based on?

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 02:31 PM
I've been on the Kennedy and this last one was on the George Washington.

wacki
10-28-2004, 02:34 PM
What did you fly?

ArchAngel71857
10-28-2004, 02:39 PM
I am not getting the guide, yet. I rented the game so have no instructional manual. So far I have done taxi missions and ambulance missions. I had three people left on level 12 of the ambulance mission and they cut of my extra time. Bastards. I am trying ot do those now so I can get them out of the way, play the game, and then when I get it for christmas pick back up with the story lines. I have bought some safe houses, and tagged 11 graffiti signs, found one oyster on my own. I had the guides for the other two. My brother and I sat down two summers ago and started from scratch and completed 100% of Vice City using the guide. It was fun, but I want to try and discover as much as I can on this one without the guide, then dip into it if I need to find something out. Plus it's hard to read the guide without it giving away spoilers and I don't want that. The best thing i do right now is taxi missions because you learn locations and orientation with the city, it makes the game much easier when you know how to get around. I wish i could find the van that lets you do burglary missions. After the mission where i stole the gun crates I can't find it. I figured it would be outside Ryder's house, but I may be able to find one the next time I play.

To those of you who bought the PS2 just so you could play this game, I did the same thing when Metal Gear Solid came out for Playstation. My freshmen year roommate and I bought the PS and MGS and Tenchu. That christmas I spent a lot of time alternating between Zelda for n64 and Final Fantasy VII. Your PS2 was worth it for these games. I am pretty sure by the time this comes out for Xbox, it will have been modified and tamed. But you can still pick up a hooker, have sex with her, then run her over to get your money back.

next up: Catch and Kill Freddy!!!!! Right after I take my mid term . . .

-AA

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 02:40 PM
I think the thread is getting hijacked. EA-6Bs though Im not a stick monkey (pilot). Im the guy that does all the other stuff besides the actual flying.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 03:22 PM
prowlers???

I just bought the strategy guide, it is [censored] enourmous. I got it just so I could find all the tags and mini games. As for the missions, well, I'll figure those out on my own. The game is just so huge, I feel like I need a guide to get around.

Bulldog
10-28-2004, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
prowlers???

I just bought the strategy guide, it is [censored] enourmous. I got it just so I could find all the tags and mini games. As for the missions, well, I'll figure those out on my own. The game is just so huge, I feel like I need a guide to get around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where'd you get the guide? Wal-mart have it?

Also, no money for jumping the cars--I just like the bicycles and it does increase your bike skill.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 03:34 PM
bought it at Best Buy, it was 16.99 and it looked like they had a lot. This guide is huge. There is literally hundreds of things I didn't know about.

liquidboss
10-28-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the guide is required if you are looking for 100% complete in my mind. There is no way to find everything in a world this big without it. Biggest Brady guide I've ever seen...

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 03:59 PM
it is both fat and phat, just like me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
prowlers???

[/ QUOTE ]

Si. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 04:41 PM
I only knew that because we constantly hear about the Whidbey Island division or whatever their called.

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Thats where I was stationed for the past 4 years. Every Prowler squadron in the Navy is based there except for one reserve squadron in DC.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 07:19 PM
wait, so where are you now?

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Virginia Beach.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 07:25 PM
oh why are you there, and why aren't you playing GTA:SA.
need to keep this on topic /images/graemlins/grin.gif

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Because I am on my shore duty tour right now and I took orders to a job out here. I will be swining through next spring though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Im not playing GTA3 cause all I have is XBOX..jerk.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 07:28 PM
so your coming back to Whidbey? Buy one jerk /images/graemlins/wink.gif

vulturesrow
10-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Ill just be in town for a week or so..Ill try to make it down to Sea-town though. I'll buy one no prob.

Lawrence Ng
10-28-2004, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PS 2 Graphics are slightly sub par to XBox graphics.

ArchAngel71857
10-28-2004, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PS 2 Graphics are slightly sub par to XBox graphics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking in general or in regards to GTA? I think when they released GTA for Xbox, they tweaked the graphics to make it better while they released the GTA III and GTA: VC package with tweaked graphics for PS2. I haven't played enough XBox to declare which one has better graphics.

-AA

PhatTBoll
10-28-2004, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking in general or in regards to GTA? I think when they released GTA for Xbox, they tweaked the graphics to make it better while they released the GTA III and GTA: VC package with tweaked graphics for PS2. I haven't played enough XBox to declare which one has better graphics.

[/ QUOTE ]

X-Box generally has better graphics across the board. It's newer technology and has a faster processor.

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 01:48 PM
How far are you guys in this game? I finally got to LV.

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 01:48 PM
BTW, I have $19 million dollars now.

nolanfan34
11-08-2004, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How far are you guys in this game? I finally got to LV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm stuck on trying to blow up the cartel's boat. 8-ball keeps getting killed before I can sniper all of the guards. Oh wait...that's GTA3. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 02:00 PM
That was easily the best level in GTA3, keep pluggin away man!

sfer
11-08-2004, 02:44 PM
You can go to Vegas? I'm buying it today.

PhatTBoll
11-08-2004, 02:50 PM
I just made it to LV the other night. I wish there was more variety in the games you can play.

By the way, flying planes in this game has got to be the most frustrating thing in the history of GTA.

mmbt0ne
11-08-2004, 02:59 PM
I stopped playing for a while, so I'm still trying to finish the missions with Cesar's bitch cousin.

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 03:00 PM
yup, flying the planes is not fun....maybe once my flying skill gets better it will funner. The helicopters are [censored] hard in this game.

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I stopped playing for a while, so I'm still trying to finish the missions with Cesar's bitch cousin.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah those missions sort of suck, but you are close to SF, which is pretty fun. There are a lot of hills in the city that are fun to haul ass down, plus there are a couple money making assets in the city.

daryn
11-08-2004, 09:14 PM
i've never played any GTA before this, and i went out and bought the new slim PS2 just for this game.

it's the best video game ever.

yeah i'm deep in LV already. flying is fun, i don't seem to have a problem with it, plane or heli.

that jetpack is cool /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-08-2004, 09:29 PM
good purchase. EGM gave it three perfect 10's, just like Halo 2.

jdl22
11-08-2004, 10:27 PM
First Daryn said (of the GTA series):

[ QUOTE ]

with all this talk i'm thinking about getting the first game and starting from scrath here. i have played it but didn't think it was anything special. am i missing something? do you guys just find it fun to drive around on a video game?

i really enjoy driving around in my jeep on a summer day, but i can't imagine that it's the same if i'm playing a video game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now he says:

[ QUOTE ]

it's the best video game ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn, has your opinion of the general game type changed or do you just think that this version is far superior to GTA3 that you played for a bit?

IMO SA is far better than both the previous games of the same engine. The "just driving around" is a lot better because the cars fly down the road. The plot is better if you care about that sort of thing. The missions seem about the same.

ArchAngel71857
11-09-2004, 12:45 AM
I was surprised to find this.

In Los Santos, go inside the police station in Pershing Square. Go to the back and go into the shower. Did you find the weapon? Is that what I think it is? What the hell is it doing in a policeman's shower? What the hell am I doing in the policeman's shower? Why the hell do I enjoy it so much?

It can't be wrong if it feels soooo riiiiiiiight.

-AA

daryn
11-09-2004, 01:18 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Daryn, has your opinion of the general game type changed or do you just think that this version is far superior to GTA3 that you played for a bit?

IMO SA is far better than both the previous games of the same engine. The "just driving around" is a lot better because the cars fly down the road. The plot is better if you care about that sort of thing. The missions seem about the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

i only played the first one in the series, GTA3, and only for like 10 minutes, and i just didn't see the attraction. i hear that this one (SA) is just huge compared to the others. i also dig the soundtrack and storyline.

PhatTBoll
11-09-2004, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Los Santos, go inside the police station in Pershing Square. Go to the back and go into the shower. Did you find the weapon? Is that what I think it is? What the hell is it doing in a policeman's shower? What the hell am I doing in the policeman's shower? Why the hell do I enjoy it so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is what you think it is. And yes, it is fun to beat people with it.

And yes, I bought you one for christmas. Please stop asking.

ThaSaltCracka
11-09-2004, 03:34 AM
I assume you are talking about the purple dildo.