PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Situation

04-29-2002, 12:35 AM
Hello Again All,

Actually got to play some more cards again today.

My normal 1-5 Stud game.

Game actually had some fairly decent opponents in it. ( for 1-5 at least ) with no one ( up to this point ) looking 'fishy'

3c brings it in for a dollar.

Js makes it $3 ( obvious Jacks for this opponent )

Ad folds

Ks calls $3 ( takes a strong hand for this opponent to call )

Ac makes it $8

5s caps at $13

I'm next to act with (AsAh)5h...

4h left to act after me..

Whats my play...?

I was chastised by a friend of mine who happened to be watching the action behind me on my play of this hand. I thought it was reletavily simple. Lets see what the forum thinks.

Later,

CJ

04-29-2002, 03:06 AM
You've got dead Aces and a semi-dead 5. On the positive side, you have live hearts and a straight flush kicker.

Folding is probably best. I think this is true because it's costing you at least $13 to enter the pot but you may only be able to extract $5 per round on future rounds when your hand is best. It's usually unwise to pay a big upfront "entry fee" when you cannot extract significant money in later rounds.

Still, it's worth considering a reraise to $18 (if allowable). This is likely to knock-out the Js, Ks, and maybe the Ac.

04-29-2002, 01:45 PM
CJ did indicate that it was capped at $13, otherwise I do think that re-raising is a viable option. It's apparent that there are several good pairs around the table. Someone is bound to improve, and CJ is a dog to improve. I think this is a muck, although I might not be able to find that play at the table. In my local room, there would be an ante to fight over, and the cap is five full bets, so re-raising would be an option. Whatever you do, don't let people know that you're mucking Aces. /images/smile.gif

04-29-2002, 01:54 PM
with your dead cards you are not in great shape. you have both aces dead and a 5 dead in a multiway pot. it is an easy fold, which i am guessing you did and got chastised for.

04-29-2002, 01:56 PM
that might be thr right play at 10-20 but not at 1-5 even assuming it is allowed. very seldom will these players fold if you come over the top.

pat

05-03-2002, 01:49 AM
Pat,

Yes I thought it was an easy fold. Which was exactly what I did.

Later,

CJ

05-03-2002, 02:00 AM
Hello again,

Easy Fold. Thats exactly what I did.

Interesting note is that the 5 who re-raised was NOT rolled-up as represented. He re-raised with a three-straight flush and actually caught the damn thing. ( When I see shit like this, I often wonder if psychic ability really does exist! )

The strong player with the K was rolled ( at least that is what he said.. and I have no reason to doubt him considering how he played ) He was the only other player left at the showdown with above straight-flush.

Later,

CJ