PDA

View Full Version : Pay Any Price and Bear Any Burden?

andyfox
10-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Today, President Bush said that "the party of Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman and John Kennedy is rightly remembered for confidence and resolve in times of war and in hours of crisis. Senator Kerry has turned his back on 'pay any price' and 'bear any burden,'"

How do we think this attack on Kerry will play? I assume Bush is trying to attract Democrats and independents who are more hawkish than Kerry on foreign policy. Do Americans think we should indeed pay any price and/or bear any burden?

adios
10-26-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do we think this attack on Kerry will play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it will make much difference. IMO it's not, shall we say, an astute observation though.

MaxPower
10-26-2004, 01:15 PM
What are we "paying any price" for?

Where our national security is clearly threatened and there is no alternative but war, I would be willing to bear any burden.

However, I would draw the line at our civil liberties. If we compromise those in the name of security, what would we be fighting to protect?

vulturesrow
10-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Andy,

I dont see it as particularly effective. In fact, I dont see any messages at this point that are going to sway anyone, absent some bombshell revelation against either candidate. I think people are pretty tired of all the political bandying about at this point in the campaign.