PDA

View Full Version : Luxor tourney?

rcatena
10-26-2004, 09:51 AM
My buddy and I are going to be In vegas next week, and we were thinking about playing in the Luxor $25 tourney. Has anybody played in this before?
How long does it run usually?

Rich

PokerPaul
10-26-2004, 09:57 AM
it usually takes about 1.5 hours to finish.

those were the very first poker tourneys i ever played, about 6 years ago, and i had a blast at the time. The level of play there is very good for beginners.

Back then it was 20 max players, and as of 2 years ago i know they expanded to 3 tables. MAybe with all this poker popularity they have changed it since, but for low stakes, or beginners, its fun.

Many retirement regulars there.

rcatena
10-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Paul,

thanks for the reply. What were the blind levels like?

Rich

FeliciaLee
10-26-2004, 10:16 AM
I, unlike most posters here on 2+2, have always had a blast at the Luxor tourneys.

It's not really a real tournament, if that is what you want. It's kind of what a game of HORSE is to basketball, lol. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The juice is very high, and I've heard they raised it once again, but if you are purely seeking fun, it's the place to be.

You start out with almost no chips, blinds are like 15/30 and go up every fifteen minutes, the first hour is limit, the rest is NLHE. Most of the players don't know how to play (and I mean that literally, not that they are just "bad" players), the dealers are usually poor to atrocious, so you will have to point out the winning hand often.

I've written a bit about the Luxor crapshoots here on 2+2 and on my own journal, if you're interested in finding out more, but what I've said above is basically it.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

Newman
10-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Just got back from Vegas on Sunday. Against my better judgement, I played in a Luxor $25 tourney. You start out with 10BB. Let that sink in. On top of that, the levels go up every 15 minutes. If that wasn't enough, it's limit for the first hour, then NL after that. They finish within 2 hours.

I believe the max was 40 players but I could be wrong. Before the tournament I had been playing $2/$4 to pass the time and was chatting with a guy next to me who was about my age. He ended up winning the tourney (well sorta, they made a deal) and walked away with $500 or so. Was happy to see him take it down, but I didn't waste my time playing in any more at the Luxor.

I played in the $60 at Binion's which was much, much, much better. Granted it took me 5 hours to get to the final table but the skill level was much higher than the players at the Luxor.

Al_Capone_Junior
10-26-2004, 10:23 PM
too few chips and too fast levels. play elsewhere.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
10-26-2004, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Their promotions are really good, which brings a bunch of blood sucking leech type regular crones there. That is a more accurate description.

al

PITTM
10-26-2004, 10:34 PM
but is it a good tournament for say, my girlfriend who has never played before to try as her first tourney. i plan to teach her at least the basics before we get to vegas, as i dont think it will be until around february.

rj

burningyen
10-27-2004, 11:37 AM
For a total beginner, yes, her chances are probably better in a Luxor daily than in a slower tourney.

VegasChip
10-27-2004, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Their promotions are really good, which brings a bunch of blood sucking leech type regular crones there. That is a more accurate description.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

So Dave, How has the blood sucking been going lately? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Don_Key
10-28-2004, 11:31 AM
This was the first live tourney I ever played in (and I won!). Fast, low # of chips to start, lots of calling stations, lots of bad play (including me). I think it is a good tourney to get your feet wet, but more experienced types will want to stay away.