PDA

View Full Version : Sam Adams or Bud

Toro
10-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Not even close!

Go sox!

Rushmore
10-26-2004, 09:19 AM
I cannot believe people drink Budweiser.

I have been to Busch Gardens a number of times, and for me, the whole damned place might just as well be one big dry county.

Me: "Do you have beer?"

Them: "Yes, we have Budweiser, Busch Light, Anheuser Select, and Bud Light."

Me: "No, I'm sorry. I said BEER."

Blecccchhh.

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Bud

goofball
10-26-2004, 02:02 PM
there are roughly 10000 other kinds of beer better than either of those two.

B00T
10-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Sam Adams "and its not even close"

I wont even consider myself biased that I used to work for Sam Adams. Even after a miserable experience there, I would still drink it in a second over a Bud.

challenger84
10-26-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there are roughly 10000 other kinds of beer better than either of those two.

[/ QUOTE ]

WEASEL45
10-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Budweiser

nolanfan34
10-26-2004, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bud

[/ QUOTE ]

How ya doin' on that 12 pack of Sam Adams in your fridge then? If I knew you drink Bud, I could have bought a lot more beer than I did for $40.

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 02:53 PM
It's doing alright, it will be drank though.

I just choose Bud over it because I think Sam taste just a little bit better than Bud and its more filling, but the key decision is price. Sam Adams is more expensive. If I am going to drink a "pricey" beer, I'll buy one that I really like, like Guinness, a seasonal winter brew, or a Hef.

beerbandit
10-26-2004, 04:03 PM
id rather drink old beer out of an ashtray than sam adams.

cheers
beer

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
id rather drink old beer out of an ashtray than sam adams.

cheers
beer

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored], I wouldn't.

Legend27
10-26-2004, 04:08 PM
I like bud light.

NoPeak
10-26-2004, 04:25 PM
I prefer Rolling Rock myself.

B Dids
10-26-2004, 05:02 PM
It's situational.

If I'm drinking to get drunk, I want lots of easy-to-drink beer. So like Bud or MGD light.

If I'm drinking for taste (I'll have gin and tonic, but if the place doens't do hard a...) I'll get a nicer darker beer.

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's situational.

[/ QUOTE ] I love this answer because it honestly is so true.

Dominic
10-26-2004, 07:30 PM
that's like asking, Joan Rivers or Mandy Moore.

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Mandy Moore is the bud, right?

Toro
10-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Of course there are better beers. You missed the point of the thread.

goofball
10-26-2004, 08:57 PM
no, i understood, StL vs. Bos

my point is still well taken

MelchyBeau
10-26-2004, 08:59 PM
In Amsterdam, a world wide convention of brewers was held.

The presidents of many of the world's greatest breweries were on hand, and many of them decided to go out for dinner together on the first evening.

The waiter asked what they would like to drink, and the CEO of Miller said, "The Best Beer in the world, an MGD please!"

The president of Budweiser asked for "The King of Beers, make it a Bud!".

Adolph Coors requested a "From mountain spring water, the clearest beer, a Coors if you don't mind."

And so it went around the large table, each president asking for the brew from his own company as if it was the best.

Finally, the waiter came to Arthur Guinness.

"And you sir?" he queried.

"I'll have a Coke!" was Guinness's reply.

"A Coke??!?" The waiter was shocked.

"Wouldn't you rather have a Guinness, sir?"

Arthur looked at the waiter, and gestured to his companions. "Well," he said, "If they're not drinking beer, then neither will I!"

Melch

Toro
10-26-2004, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no, i understood, StL vs. Bos

my point is still well taken

[/ QUOTE ]

It is? How do you know that? Did you get a lot of feedback on your point? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bukem_
10-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Bud is the King of schwag, and has its place.

Sometimes I'm even in the mood to drink PBR, the schwag of choice.

MMMMMM
10-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Bud drinkers absolutely must have defective taste buds.

andyfox
10-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Alas, yet another area of agreement between us! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

daryn
10-27-2004, 12:34 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Bud drinkers absolutely must have defective taste buds.

[/ QUOTE ]

me and my buddy recently talked about this. bud vs. real beer.

the thing is, he is a huge beer drinker. i mean he drinks beer a LOT, with every meal, just loves to drink beer. so he always has a ton of bud light and coors light, etc. in his fridge.

for me, i drink beer occasionally, so when i do, i can't possibly drink bud. it's like piss, but i can understand how he gets used to it.

Ray Zee
10-27-2004, 12:43 AM
m, if you and andy both agree on something, you both must be wrong.
however, when drinking just one or two, specialty beers are nice. but polishing off a six or twelve pack, make it bud.

andyfox
10-27-2004, 12:49 AM
"it's like piss"

Yeah, but whose? [An old joke punchline.]

MMMMMM
10-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Yes, I suppose if you drank piss often enough you'd get used to it.

MMMMMM
10-27-2004, 12:56 AM
No Ray, that is sick, that is really just sick. If you're going to drink beer spend the money and drink real beer whether it is one beer or a six-pack.

You could try giving the six-pack of Bud to the sheep and make them happy. But it really is not fit for human consumption.

Drinking Bud is like eating cat food.

nolanfan34
10-27-2004, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No Ray, that is sick, that is really just sick. If you're going to drink beer spend the money and drink real beer whether it is one beer or a six-pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm working on a 6-pack of MacTarnahan's Mac Frost winter ale right now.

goofball
10-27-2004, 01:00 AM
drool

nolanfan34
10-27-2004, 01:19 AM
It's not as good as Dechutes Jubelale, or Bridgeport's Ebenezer, but it's not bad.

goofball
10-27-2004, 02:05 AM
dechutes is ok

bridgeport is outstanding. it's a portland beer though. of course, so's widmer

i'm adding mcmenamins to the long list of places to go while i'm in seattle this weekend.

nolanfan34
10-27-2004, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm adding mcmenamins to the long list of places to go while i'm in seattle this weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. We live about 20 min. from the Olympic club, their newest hotel/theatre, so my wife and I go down there for movies and dinner once in a while. Nothing better than catching a flick and having a nice Terminator Stout served to you at the same time.

goofball
10-27-2004, 03:09 AM
they have a theatre/pub in seattle now?

i've been to the one in portland. it's certainly true that there's nothing quite like seeing a movie and simultaneously enjoying a fine beer off the nitro.

daryn
10-27-2004, 03:24 AM
not beer, but what's up with magner's irish cider? i like that.

Oski
10-27-2004, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Drinking Bud is like eating cat food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but Friskies gives you a better buzz.

Toro
10-27-2004, 07:17 AM
When I had my basic training at Fort Lewis we went to Seattle and they still hard portions of the World's Fair intact. There was a German beer hall where we had some great beer. I am curious if that place still exists?

dr. klopek
10-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Well, if I had to chose one, I'd have to go with Samuel. The only reason, though is because I think Budweiser is the worst beer in all the universe. (And this from a guy who's probably downed about a Great Lake's worth of Old English, Mickey's, Pabst, HRD vodka, Night Train, and any other foul booze that barely ranks above rubbing alcohol).

Having grown up in Portland, I'm used to a wide variety of good beers (snob). So when I went to Vegas and couldn't find anything but Bud anywhere, I realized that we have it pretty good up here.

Best beers of all time though; Fat Tire, Widmer Hef, Old Rasputin Stout, Bridgeport IPA, and Mirror Pond.

The once and future king
10-27-2004, 07:30 AM
So your logic is:

I am going to drink alot, so therefore the beer has to be s.hit.
If however I am to drink just one or two, make it a nice one.
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Surely it should be the other way around.

Though I do actualy understand your point, there must be literaly 10s of thousands of beers that are better session beers than Bud.

To date Bud is the worse "beer" I have ever drunk. I am a Brit so have not been exposed to the full gamut of crap yank beers, but not many of them can be worse than bud.(I hope).

Roy Munson
10-27-2004, 07:46 AM
I have to agree with Mr. Zee on this one.

I love the Sam Adams Lager. But when I drink more than 10 of them the resulting hangover feels like a brain hemorrhage. It is in these situations that I revert to Bud.

This thread is illustrative of a an interesting phenomenon. It seems that the characteristic behavior of poker geek goes hand in hand with that of beer snob.

I like to try different and interesting beers as much as the next guy and enjoy quite a few of them. But for each person who enjoys the more exotic beers, there are many more people who try them and find them revolting, yet truly enjoy the beers being disparaged in this thread.

I love great beer. I also love average beer. When I started drinking beer as a young child I doubt if I would have liked the heavier more complex tasting brews.

Just as most wine drinkers don't start with the great cabernets it takes many beer drinkers time to work up to the great beers.

The once and future king
10-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Even the most rubbish beer in the UK is 1,00000000000 times better than Bud. I didnt taste Bud til I was 22.

As regards hangovers. Drink a Pilsner, It will be about x2 the strenght of Bud, but its purity is gaurenteed by German law. You will get much less of a hangover from a Pilsner than from poison filled Bud.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 11:00 AM
beer snobs.

BTW, I really enjoy beer, and I think I know a good tasting beer when I taste it, and I would seriously take a Bud over Newcastle any day. That is some sick beer.

The once and future king
10-27-2004, 11:14 AM
One does not have to be a beer snob to hate Bud.

Just not a total and utter beer ignoramus who thinks bud is better than Newcastle. You are only a youngun, you may still learn. Doubt it.

nolanfan34
10-27-2004, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they have a theatre/pub in seattle now?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have pubs in Seattle, but the Olympic Club Theatre and pub is in Centralia, which is 20 min south of me here in Olympia. We've also stayed at the Hotel Oregon in McMinville, but haven't make it to the Edgefield or Kennedy School places yet. Maybe this winter sometime.

nolanfan34
10-27-2004, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I had my basic training at Fort Lewis we went to Seattle and they still hard portions of the World's Fair intact. There was a German beer hall where we had some great beer. I am curious if that place still exists?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whereabouts was it? Somewhere near the Space Needle? Doesn't ring a bell off the top of my head, but I know there are a couple of German establishments in Seattle where you can get German beer on tap.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One does not have to be a beer snob to hate Bud.

Just not a total and utter beer ignoramus who thinks bud is better than Newcastle. You are only a youngun, you may still learn. Doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Typical idiot beer snob reply. I expected this actually.

andyfox
10-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Gosh, MMMMMM and I have agreed on probably two things in six years, how can we possibly be wrong? Vivaldi and now this are all that come to mind.

You only go around once (apparently). Life is too short for Budweiser.

FWIW, my favorites are XX and Pilsner Urquell. I'm not a big Sam Adams fan (the beer, I liked the man), but I'd sooner lick it off the ground that George Bush walked on than drink Bud out of Lalique.

The once and future king
10-27-2004, 02:04 PM
As I said, doubt it.

Youll be ignorant when your grey and still drinking shi.t beer.

Only in the USA could you even have beer snobs. No such phenomonen in the UK becuase there is universal agreement from dustmen to Her Majesty that Bud is total shi.t.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 02:28 PM
Funny that an englishmen would be telling me that we are snobs, but I digress. I may never think Newcastle taste good, but there is a reason why I may never think that. Because it in fact does taste like [censored]. Bud certainly isn't the best beer ever, although you seem to think I believe that, you pompous British snob, I simply stated I would drink it over Newcastle any day. However the list of beers I would drink before Bud given the chance is long and esteemed. Now, isn't it time for your team and crumpets, Mr. Fancy Pants.

Blarg
10-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Bud is so bad you can taste the chemicals. It's definitely the kind of booze that will give you hangovers easy.

The only beer I've ever had worse than Bud was Tecate. I got a case of that once, and me and a friend opened cans and wound up throwing away the whole case.

If you want to get drunk, it's good to drink a single Bud first. Bud has so many chemicals it immediately shuts down your liver, and the rest of the beers go straight to your head.

Toro
10-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Yes, right near the space needle.

Roy Munson
10-27-2004, 05:20 PM
If there is universal agreement within the UK that Bud is lousy(I paraphrase), why is it one of the biggest selling beers in the UK and the rest of the world for that matter.
Somebody, somewhere likes it.

Blarg
10-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Same reason McDonalds outsells all other restaurants, and not by a little.

It's cheap, it's everywhere, it's bland enough to fit any customer and any situation, and people don't like trying anything new. Plus it's almost always on sale.

The once and future king
10-28-2004, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If there is universal agreement within the UK that Bud is lousy(I paraphrase), why is it one of the biggest selling beers in the UK and the rest of the world for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because I am talking about American Bud. Bud in the UK is brewed in the UK and is very different. You will find this true in every country Bud is drunk in. Bud as made in USA wouldnt sell 1 bottle outside of the USA.

The once and future king
10-28-2004, 07:43 AM
Salt.

I dont drink Newcaslte as there are much better UK/European beers. However it is hard not to be pompous towards someone who previously (now slighlty retracted) reveled in there preference of urine over Newcastle.

The differnece between NCSTLE and bud is that NCSTLE is actualy a beer whilst bud is just piss.

Enjoy drinking your piss and lets leave it at that.

MMMMMM
10-28-2004, 08:36 AM
King,

Some people just have defective taste buds and probably can't tell much difference between Bud and real beer--or between cat food and ground sirloin. It's probably just something like the visual impairment known as color-blindness, so you can't really blame them. I think you are being a little too hard on TheSaltCracka.

nicky g
10-28-2004, 08:43 AM
"not beer, but what's up with magner's irish cider? i like that. "

Don't Americans know that cider is for girls? Weird.

nicky g
10-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Bud is awful. My wife and I once met up with an old friend of ours from the time they were both over here at college. It didn;t go very well. For my round I bought three pints of Harp - crap but there wasn't much else to choose from. For her round she bought us three pints of Bud. I'd never had it before. I;ve not spoken to her since. It was much much worse than I expected despite the horror stories.

But - "Even the most rubbish beer in the UK is 1,00000000000 times better than Bud." is wrong. They're better, but not much. All of the lager commonly available in the UK is just terrible. Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg, Stella, Kronenbourg - mostly fine beers in their native lands, stinking piss when brewed under licence in the UK. I would never drink ales anywhere else, but I do here because poor as they are compared to real beer like Belgian stuff, they are so much better than English lagers.

nicky g
10-28-2004, 08:52 AM
"Now, isn't it time for your tea and crumpets, Mr. Fancy Pants. "

Crumpets are good man. I bet you'd like them if you had them. My wife does and she likes all sorts of weird American crap over good European stuff. Not Bud though. In fact she always orders Belgian beer, on her own initiative. Makes me proud.

The once and future king
10-28-2004, 09:17 AM
I too think that all brewed under license beers in the UK are horrid. Ironicaly Bud is the only beer that improves drasticaly when brewed under this arrangement.

That is because Bud as brewed in the USA wouldnt be commercialy viable in the UK even though Stella and Carlsberg are the two most commonly consumed largers in the UK. How telling is that as regards the quality of Bud.

nicky g
10-28-2004, 09:22 AM
I don;t think I've ever had UK-brewed Bud. I may try it just to see.

On my last visit to the US I drank several bottles of Miller Lite and liked it plenty. But, I had just got off a plane and was extremely tired and thirsty. I should have tried it again under normal conditions.

MMMMMM
10-28-2004, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't buy Belgian beer as they are trying to force the UK into the EU. Hope you are concerned about losing your UK sovereignty to the Eurocrats, Nicky.

MMMMMM
10-28-2004, 09:31 AM
For UK ales/beers, I like Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout, MacEwan's various Ales, and Guiness.

MMMMMM
10-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Miller beer, any kind of Miller, is just a step or so above Bud. It's still fairly vile stuff. You were just extremely thirsty and tired.

The once and future king
10-28-2004, 09:52 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Here
we are talking about Beer and you manage to bring politics into the conversation.

Shame on you, go drink 10 buds as a penance. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nicky g
10-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Shame on you for besmirching beer with politics.

Er, the UK is already in the EU. That said, despite the institutions being mostly based in Brussels, Belgium is not a signifcant EU power - indeed that's why it was chosen. A shame, as having lived in both countries I can assure you Belgium does pretty much everything better than the UK, not just beer. By the way my Dad is a Eurocrat. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

You are really missing out though.

Apparently Tony Blair is in the building where I work right now. Dunno why.

nicky g
10-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Guinness is no UK beer,it's Irish. But not bad choices. Lots of American seem to like Sam Smiths, to behonest I don;t much but I don;t have anything really against it. The best ales are the locally brewed ones. You should come over and try them. Then when you;re not looking I'll sneak you a Kronenbourg. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 11:04 AM
lets see, bud is made from barley and hops, so that would be beer.

Newcastle, made from whatever bit taste like it was poured down the ass crack of an englishman before being put in the bottle.

I'll take "urine" over [censored] beer, thank you.

Btw, don't you have more history lessons to "teach" the dumb americans in the politics forum?

The once and future king
10-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Er refering back to one post made by me several weels ago on another forum /images/graemlins/blush.gif. That dosnt embarrass you ?

Try to keep the toys in the pram. I know its hard for a youngun but this can be your first step towards maturity.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 11:12 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about.

nolanfan34
10-28-2004, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Guinness is no UK beer,it's Irish. But not bad choices. Lots of American seem to like Sam Smiths, to behonest I don;t much but I don;t have anything really against it. The best ales are the locally brewed ones. You should come over and try them. Then when you;re not looking I'll sneak you a Kronenbourg. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the Fullers we get over here the same as it would be in the UK? I really like the Fullers ESB, although it's available in limited places. My other favorite, although it's really pricey, is Traquair House Ale, although if I remember correctly it's brewed in Scotland.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 11:17 AM
BTW, why don't you keep the patronizing to a minimum, because all it does is reinforce my claim that you are indeed a pompous snob, as if your handle doesn't do that already either.

ThaSaltCracka
10-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Toro,
I just wanted to let you know that after the game last night, I actually drank a Sam Adams(damn you Nolanfan /images/graemlins/wink.gif ). My way of toasting the World Champs.

The once and future king
10-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Am I being patronizing? Sorry just thought I was pointing out the facts.

The toys/pram comment was a brit way of saying dont act like a baby having a tantrum. Sorry for expecting you to get it. I should know better by now.

daryn
10-28-2004, 08:48 PM
go paddle your surfboard /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

jcx
10-28-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because I am talking about American Bud. Bud in the UK is brewed in the UK and is very different. You will find this true in every country Bud is drunk in. Bud as made in USA wouldnt sell 1 bottle outside of the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bud that is sold in Hong Kong, Singapore and elsewhere in Asia that I have seen is brewed in the USA. The Bud brewed in the UK is essentially the same formula, just with a higher alcohol content.

The once and future king
10-29-2004, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Bud that is sold in Hong Kong, Singapore and elsewhere in Asia that I have seen is brewed in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

You should pay more attention to your labels. All bud distributed in Asia is brewed in Wuhan a Chinese city.

ThaSaltCracka
10-29-2004, 11:02 AM
do you think that just because its your birthday you can prove everyone wrong? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Happy Birthday btw!

daryn
10-29-2004, 11:22 AM
The Bud that is sold in Hong Kong, Singapore and elsewhere in Asia that I have seen is brewed in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

You should pay more attention to your labels. All bud distributed in Asia is brewed in Wuhan a Chinese city.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are so wrong it's not even funny. wuhan is in missouri.

jcx
10-29-2004, 02:32 PM
I did read the label - this was a few years ago. It perhaps has changed. I won't cry about it.