PDA

View Full Version : Supersize Me

Lawrence Ng
10-26-2004, 08:14 AM
How many times a week do you eat McD's or unhealthy fast foods?

I usually eat McD's once a week on average, but I never order the fries or drink pop anymore. I love their fries though, but everytime I finish eating even 10 french fries I get bloated and sick. Juice and burgers only, sometimes I get the Chicken Strips Select.

daveymck
10-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Mcd's over here is trying to rebrand as a health food shop, all salads and chicken meals, plus now pushing toast and bagels along with porrige at breakfast time.

I have read through the calories and fat of macd's products (they are printed on the tray paper now over here) and to be honest the fries and pop are probably more healthy fat wise than any of the burgers (there are salt and suger issues). The only semi healthy burger was the plain hamburger which is too small to be a meal anyway.

I dont think we have chicken strips over here so cant comment.

turnipmonster
10-26-2004, 11:23 AM
I haven't eaten in mcdonald's in 12 years. I can't stand them and refuse to even use their bathrooms.

daryn
10-26-2004, 11:25 AM
i probably eat there once every few months. how unfortunate. it's only when i'm up all night drunk too, because it's open 24 hours. it's basically poison.

oh.. and pop. hahahahaahhah. pop.

daveymck
10-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Is it in the States or was it in France (or may be Belgium) where Macdonalds serves beer?

daryn
10-26-2004, 11:27 AM
not in the states, but i think it was the case in austria, and i know it was the case in italy.

mmbt0ne
10-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Wait, you're McDonald's is open 24 hours? I've never seen that before.

nolanfan34
10-26-2004, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How many times a week do you eat McD's or unhealthy fast foods?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to eat it a lot less after seeing that movie. That was fricken genius. No wonder America is so fat. I really shudder to think of the long term effects the chemicals in fast food are having on our bodies....

busguy
10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Pop, Fries . . . bloated ??

Man those new chicken strips have about 10 times as many calories as either of the two things that you have sworn off of.

I have a 2 1/2 year old so we have lunch there about twice a month. I tried those Chicken strip selects a couple of weeks ago and they were horrible. They certainly do not give the folks at KFC anything to worry about.

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif busguy

Evan
10-26-2004, 12:02 PM
A lot of the McD's in the city are 24 hrs.

daveymck
10-26-2004, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not in the states, but i think it was the case in austria, and i know it was the case in italy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It must have been France then, all Macdonalds look the same so hard to remember.

daryn
10-26-2004, 12:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Wait, you're McDonald's is open 24 hours? I've never seen that before.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's actually the first time i've seen you're instead of your. it's usually the other way around.

anyway, yeah 24 hours baby. where do you live?

MarkL444
10-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I was expecting this thread to be about the documentary "Supersize Me". Ive seen it and its pretty good, the guy is actually kinda funny. For those of you who dont know about its some guy who eats nothing but mcdonalds for a month. (seriously, nothing) Throughout the thing he does other stuff too, like going to schools and talking about the food they serve. I forgot a lot of it, but I recommend renting it if you get bored. Even if you dont enjoy it, it will probably get you to quit eating fast food, which of course would be good.

daryn
10-26-2004, 12:20 PM
did you hear about the other documentary? where a couple people ate nothing but mcdonalds for a month and actually lost weight? i'm not joking by the way. just goes to show what a little exercise can do.

Sponger15SB
10-26-2004, 12:37 PM
I don't really eat that much "fast food" anymore, but when I do its always either a chicken strip product or in&amp;out/$6 burger at carls.

Supringly enough i've NEVER had a burger at mcdonalds. When I was younger I always got chicken nuggets.

Now I live within walking distance to good food and I don't have a car, so I just go to pita pit (http://www.pitapit.com/?page=pt) every day for breakfast and then like 3 nights a week for dinner.

MarkL444
10-26-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did you hear about the other documentary? where a couple people ate nothing but mcdonalds for a month and actually lost weight? i'm not joking by the way. just goes to show what a little exercise can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would anyone do this? im confused

daryn
10-26-2004, 12:41 PM
i suppose they did it to show that you can actually lose weight by eating mcdonalds 30 days straight, and to show that a big reason as to why the first dude gained weight was that he did no exercise. not that mcdonalds is healthy, i hate that garbage.

poison for your body. you have to be either not thinking about it or have a death wish if you eat it. same for smoking.

MarkL444
10-26-2004, 12:48 PM
yeah but why? just to make some money off the movie? or from somewhere else? did they have a bet with someone?

maybe they woke up one day and said "i wonder if we could eat [censored] for a month, but work out so much that we still lose weight"

daryn
10-26-2004, 01:08 PM
why did the first guy do his thing?

Topflight
10-26-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm going to say he gained weight more from eating 3000 to 4000 calories a day, than he did from not working out.

I'm sure it's possible to eat McD for a month, not work out, and not become a grotesquely fat bastard.

daryn
10-26-2004, 02:55 PM
obviously.

Topflight
10-26-2004, 03:19 PM
So, the guy either has a messed up sense of logic, or he has a very good grasp of the general population's lack of it.

Hopefully he is just capitalizing off of the masses inability to think rationally. I sure hope he doesn't actually believe he proved something new about McDonald's.

mmbt0ne
10-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I live in Atlanta, and haven't seen a 24 hour McDonalds yet.

beerbandit
10-26-2004, 03:59 PM
what the hell is so funny daryn? ive noticed that you have laughed at this before.

cheers
beer

MarkL444
10-26-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why did the first guy do his thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

to take down the man

nolanfan34
10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what the hell is so funny daryn? ive noticed that you have laughed at this before.

cheers
beer

[/ QUOTE ]

Because on the east coast, they say "soda", not "pop". So I think that's amusing for him. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Us silly west coasters.

MarkL444
10-26-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

cheers
beer

[/ QUOTE ]

Because on the east coast, they say "soda", not "pop". So I think that's amusing for him. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Us silly west coasters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure hes making fun of the people who drink it.
Maybe not.

soda hahaha

daveymck
10-26-2004, 06:10 PM
In the UK we call all soft drinks pop, if you come over and ask for a soda you will get either a blank look or ome soda crystals as used in cleaning.

Nepa
10-26-2004, 06:10 PM
I worked at McD's for one day as a sub-contractor to remove there plasma screens. The floors, wall and everything else was so greesy that I havn't eaten there in over a year.

SomethingClever
10-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Dude, In &amp; Out's double doubles are the stone cold nuts when it comes to hamburgers.

I don't live in Cali anymore, though, so I never get them.

"Fast Food Nation" actually recommends In &amp; Out as an example of how to do fast food the right way.

daryn
10-26-2004, 07:12 PM

cheers
beer

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure hes making fun of the people who drink it.
Maybe not.

soda hahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

actually you're both wrong. in boston we call it tonic. haha!

nolanfan34
10-26-2004, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you people from Boston are weird. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ed Miller
10-26-2004, 07:20 PM

Dude, in five years in Boston, I heard one wizened nonagenarian grocery clerk use the word "tonic." Most Bostoners called it "soda." "Barrel," "carriage," and "bubbler," on the other hand, are Boston weirdness that I heard a lot.

P.S. "Pop" sounds ridiculously goofy.

Ed Miller
10-26-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm trying to eat it a lot less after seeing that movie. That was fricken genius. No wonder America is so fat. I really shudder to think of the long term effects the chemicals in fast food are having on our bodies....

My list of things I wish had never been invented:

1. Nuclear weapons
2. Coca Cola

sublime
10-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Dude, in five years in Boston, I heard one wizened nonagenarian grocery clerk use the word "tonic." Most Bostoners called it "soda." "Barrel," "carriage," and "bubbler," on the other hand, are Boston weirdness that I heard a lot.

I always called it tonic. but im from the ghetto /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daryn
10-26-2004, 07:37 PM

P.S. "Pop" sounds ridiculously goofy.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i actually call it soda. but i recognize tonic also. actually, if you go to the white hen pantry on mass ave in arlington, the section with all the soft drinks says TONIC in huge letters above.

pop is definitely wicked goofy.

barrel, carriage, and bubbler all seem normal to me.

Ed Miller
10-26-2004, 07:52 PM
barrel, carriage, and bubbler all seem normal to me.

Barrel = Trash can or garbage can
Carriage = Shopping cart
Bubbler = Water fountain

I have to admit, the Boston words are a lot more efficient. Also, now that I think about it, "water fountain" is pretty damn dumb.

The Boston words still sound weird, though.

ilya
10-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Does Spurlock ham it up or what.

That said, McDs is pretty evil.

BusterStacks
10-26-2004, 08:27 PM
You guys don't say Pop? how weird

razor
10-26-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bubbler

[/ QUOTE ]

and you think "Pop" is wicked goofy?!?!!

razor
10-26-2004, 09:06 PM
In North America, "soft drink" commonly refers to cold, non-alcoholic beverages. Carbonated beverages are regionally known in the Midwest and most of Canada as "pop." In Québec they are called soft drinks. In the Northeast, parts of the South (near Florida) and Midwest (near St. Louis), and California, they are known as "soda." In Atlanta and some other parts of the South, they are generically called "coke". (Atlanta is home to the Coca-Cola Corporation). The Pacific Northwest, being a melting pot of America, uses both "pop" and "soda," however, for most people, "pop" comes in a bottle, and "soda" comes from a fountain or can. Elsewhere they are called "soda pop." See The Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy (http://www.popvssoda.com/) for maps and geographical trends.

Taken from http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Soft%20drink)

Topflight
10-27-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm from Texas.

Texan: "I'd like a large coke"

Fast Food Kid: "What kind?"

Texan: "Dr. Pepper"

beerbandit
10-27-2004, 01:57 PM
"bubbler"

i dont if id call a drink "bubbler" but in college we used the term to refer to something else.

ive used the term soda here and receive the same "lol" comments

who cares you know what someone means dammit

cheers
beer

Gamblor
10-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Everywhere in Canada it's "pop".

Gamblor
10-27-2004, 02:49 PM
The Pop vs. Soda Page (http://www.popvssoda.com/)

CONCLUSION

People who say "Pop" are much, much cooler.

dr. klopek
10-27-2004, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No wonder America is so fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

America is so fat because no one in America will get off of their ass. I realize that people differ, but all this carb-counting, and fat camp Dr. Phil [censored] wouldn't be needed if people cooked for themselves and walked somewhere occasionally.

oh, and maybe if ad companies didn't make up slogans like chocolate=happiness (!) we'd be a little better off.

bosoxfan
10-27-2004, 03:30 PM
I just recently discovered that the rest of the country calls a rotary a round about.

astroglide
10-27-2004, 03:31 PM
pop is way too cutesy/kidsy but at least it makes sense. soda is tops, but "coke" is simply stupid.

WEASEL45
10-27-2004, 03:44 PM
i don't know what either of those are

spamuell
10-27-2004, 03:56 PM
i don't know what either of those are

http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve/asset/roundabout.gif

sublime
10-27-2004, 03:57 PM
i just discovered it now

Blarg
10-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Now I know what that phrase from an XTC song, "English roundabout" refers to.

It's very rare to see this traffic design in America.

Ed Miller
10-27-2004, 06:34 PM
I just recently discovered that the rest of the country calls a rotary a round about.

Hehe.. I say "traffic circle." I guess that's a New Orleans word, though I say some non-New Orleans stuff.

daryn
10-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Now I know what that phrase from an XTC song, "English roundabout" refers to.

It's very rare to see this traffic design in America.

[/ QUOTE ]

not rare in boston. almost every town has one. seriously.

it's a ROTARY.

spamuell
10-27-2004, 07:06 PM
not rare in boston. almost every town has one. seriously.

One, or at least one?

London probably has about 120 major ones and maybe 5000 mini ones. That's pretty much a guess but there are a lot.

daryn
10-27-2004, 07:09 PM
at least one.

to say it's rare in the states is a true statement i guess, but there are just a ton of them in the boston area.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 07:12 PM
I have only seen one and that was in SE Portland, Oregon. Seattle has some in residential streets at intersections, but they are there to slow traffic down, so they aren't really the same thing.

They are indeed somewhat of a rarity in the US, especially on the West coast where our roads actually make sense.

nolanfan34
10-27-2004, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have only seen one and that was in SE Portland, Oregon. Seattle has some in residential streets at intersections, but they are there to slow traffic down, so they aren't really the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come down to Oly, we have a ton of them. Two lane ones too, they're an accident waiting to happen.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 07:15 PM
really?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

no thanks man, I hate those things, the one in Portland was enough fun for me.

spamuell
10-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Come down to Oly, we have a ton of them. Two lane ones too, they're an accident waiting to happen.

Gosh, two lanes?

Man up and come to London if you think you can handle 5 lane ones on the way to work every day at like 7.30am.

N.B. Yeah, I was trying to sound like a dick because I don't think I can have a serious discussion about roundabouts.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Man up and come to London if you think you can handle 5 lane ones on the way to work every day at like 7.30am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 6 lanes of 65 MPH rush hour traffic makes up for this.

daryn
10-27-2004, 07:35 PM
traffic actually MOVES during rush hour out there???

ralomllr
10-28-2004, 11:59 AM
"Traffic circle" is a Philadelphia word.

Ed Miller
10-28-2004, 09:40 PM

Nah, they aren't the same, but can I say that those things in the middle of the little streets are totally obnoxious. That's the most annoying way I've ever seen to slow down traffic.

blackaces13
10-28-2004, 10:10 PM
There's one of those by City Island in NYC.

Sloats
10-28-2004, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A travel circle?

BTW, congrats.

NLSoldier
10-29-2004, 02:47 AM
With my metabolism I seriosly think i could do what the guy did on that movie and not gain a considerable amount of weight. I don't doubt that it would be incredibly unhealthy but i really dont think it would make me fat.

Tron
10-29-2004, 03:53 AM
That site was pretty interesting considering that in both places I've lived recently (Kansas City, MO and Jefferson County, CO), it seems to me that the majority people have said the opposite of what those maps indicate.

Anyway, I say "soda" and call those "circles." That's right... I don't even bother to say "traffic circle."

Lawrence Ng
10-29-2004, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't eaten in mcdonald's in 12 years. I can't stand them and refuse to even use their bathrooms

[/ QUOTE ]

After watching Supersize me, I'm very conscious about what I eat there. Mind you I prefer not to, unless everything else is closed and I'm really hungry in which case I have choice but to scarf their food.

The burgers here are not as big as the burgers in the states, and the portions are just right.

Lawrence Ng
10-29-2004, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it in the States or was it in France (or may be Belgium) where Macdonalds serves beer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, they don't serve Beer in McD's here... probably a good thing too, they'd water it down.

Lawrence Ng
10-29-2004, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you for the most part. In more ways than one, the media feeds us information that isn't all to healthy for us. But it's also up to the individual to educate himself and learn about balance, excercise, and eating smarts.

Obesity is a disease. It can be cured. Why people choose to feed this disease is beyond me.

When I was younger I use to eat the crappiest of junk foods, stuff myself before I went to bed, and I weighed over 220 pounds standing at 5 ft 10. I excercised too, but not nearly enough.

Then it hit me. A stomach problem causing me to cough up a lot of gas. I lost 65 pounds in a year and the only relief I could get was through excercising. It woke me up and ever since then I've learned to maintain a balanced and healthy lifestyle. I indulge still on junk food but I balance it out with natural, healthy foods too and I do a ton of excercise almost everyday.

Schools need to start educating children at a younger age about good eating habits. Pop machines need to go and be replaced with juice machines. Candy bar machines need to be replaced with fruits. Get rid of those things!!!

Lawrence Ng
10-29-2004, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, the guy either has a messed up sense of logic, or he has a very good grasp of the general population's lack of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The documentarian made this movie based on a ruling that two girls (who were clinically obese) had to prove eating McD's made them so. So he took iniative upon himself to do so. Talk about crazy...

Lawrence Ng
10-29-2004, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My list of things I wish had never been invented:

1. Nuclear weapons
2. Coca Cola

[/ QUOTE ]

3. poker... LOL

Lawrence Ng
10-29-2004, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
America is so fat because no one in America will get off of their ass. I realize that people differ, but all this carb-counting, and fat camp Dr. Phil [censored] wouldn't be needed if people cooked for themselves and walked somewhere occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Phil is a very good media influence for the American people. He's very in your face, no fooling around, get serious, stay in or stay out attitude. People need that otherwise they won't seriously listen.

Knowledge is always key. People who don't educate themselves eventually becomes slave to the mass corporate capital world we live in. They become the objects of businesses resulting in a life that is almost owned by someone else.

Lawrence Ng
10-29-2004, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With my metabolism I seriosly think i could do what the guy did on that movie and not gain a considerable amount of weight. I don't doubt that it would be incredibly unhealthy but i really dont think it would make me fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not just about gaining weight. There's a lot of the imbalances caused to harm your body that are not visibly shown. You could still get a heart attack from all those clogged up arteries.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-29-2004, 06:43 AM
I ahve not eaten fast food for several years. its horibly discusting and vomit inducing IMHO. Not to mention bad for u.

craig r
10-29-2004, 07:06 AM
It is kind of like quitting smoking (not as hard though), but once you quit eating that crap, you wonder how you ever ate it in the first place.

craig

astroglide
10-29-2004, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After watching Supersize me, I'm very conscious about what I eat there.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is dumb. if he ate 7000 calories worth of turkey sandwiches he would have gained just as much weight.

theBruiser500
04-11-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't eaten in mcdonald's in 12 years. I can't stand them and refuse to even use their bathrooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not use their bathroom?

theBruiser500
04-11-2005, 12:30 AM
wow i can't believe this 2 threads on supersize me and no one criticizes it? unbelievable. this movie was terrible, actually someone did say he was a schelser wannabe. this movie had so little content, was melodramatic, AND the guy who did it is obviously dimwitted. he is not funny, he doesnt bring up good points it is just the same thing over and over again the doctors say "i don't recommend you stay on this diet, its unhealthy your cholestoral is going higher"

Lawrence Ng
04-11-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why not use their bathroom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Danny,

How did you manage to pull this thread out from like 5 months back?

Dead
04-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Hardly ever.

If I eat fast food I try to make it Subway.

McDonald's usually makes me feel ick.

theBruiser500
04-11-2005, 12:34 AM
just quick search for key words 'super' and 'size' in OOT in subject in the last year

Dead
04-11-2005, 12:35 AM
It was an awful movie.

The idea of blaming McDonald's for being fat is ridiculous.

The guy ate there 3 meals a day for like a month. He didn't exercise, and he picked the highest calorie meals possible.

theBruiser500
04-11-2005, 12:42 AM
that's not why i'm saying it's awful, i'm saying it's awful because it was made poorly

Dead
04-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Oh ok.

But my points are still valid.

It is possible to eat at McDonald's without gaining weight.

You can eat burgers without buns, drink diet soda, skip the fries, etc.

Dr. Strangelove
04-11-2005, 12:54 AM
I thought the movie was entertaining. But it pisses me off because it got McDs to get rid of the supersizing. The supersized fries wasn't a big enough portion in the first place. Fries should come in the sizes they sell popcorn in at a theater.

Dead
04-11-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fries should come in the sizes they sell popcorn in at a theater.

[/ QUOTE ]

So should heart attacks.

TimTimSalabim
04-11-2005, 03:58 AM
Gak. McDonalds fries are the worst. They should pay you to take them. And if you watch the extra on the DVD, you'll see they don't break down after weeks. Scary.

daryn
04-11-2005, 04:02 AM
i'm sure they would have no trouble breaking down if you put them in a glass of HCl.