PDA

View Full Version : Moving to $10/$20 - notes?

TJD
10-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Can anyone help please?

Playing $5/$10, I make very few notes, relying on the general poor level of play and the PT stats to guide me.

I have seen the comment that table selection and "knowing your players" is more important at $10/$20.

I can use PT to get some basic stats over the next couple of weeks before I make the move up but what things are important to "note" about individual $10/$20 players.

Hope you can help.

T

kiddo
10-26-2004, 08:25 AM
From pokertracker I export
VP$IP
PFR%
AF
AT
AR
CR (chekraising)%
Coldcalling%

Above this I am not sure what to know. The trickiest part of limit holdem - for me - is turn. If they got low AF and high AT they are normally slowplaying and making a lot of "draw" raising on turn.

But if they are very loose they can have pretty low aggressionfactors (they are seeing 50% of flops and "only" got 1 in AF, it means they are raising as much as calling and that is pretty often raising with weak hands, cause they see so many flops. A tight player with AT 2 can raise with same hands as a loose player with AT 1.

I think its more important to think about what the PT-stats can be used for then using your own comments.

If they are playing "against" their stats I often write it and if it is a knew player I often write the normal loose/passive/tight/aggressive.

Also, if someone is bluffing a lot I write it down. I use "bluff", "loves to cr", "'tricky'" and "loves to slowp" but I think my Pokertracker stats is much more important.

What do you think is important?

Grisgra
10-26-2004, 10:12 AM
How are you using PT to get stats before you move up? I think I saw someone else say the same thing somewhere else . . . I'd love to figure out how to do this.

kiddo
10-26-2004, 10:16 AM
If u download latest version of Pokertracker you can click "help" and then see how u import handhistories from tables you are only watching, not playing at. U only have to open the 10/20 windows and it will be imported.

Big Bend
10-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Ya but at what point does pokertracker start complaining about the millions of observed hands that are in the DB? I thought about leaving PT running pretty much 24/7 watching various 5/10 tables I play but then started to get concerned it would fill up.

J.R.
10-26-2004, 12:47 PM
import when you play. if you are a night guy then why sweat what the day crowd is up to? You could also get a big 160 gig hard drive and auto import all the time for months and be cool.

MicroBob
10-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Try doing a search in the internet and/or books/software forums (and maybe the general forum) for 'data mining'.

Also...you can probably go to the forums at pokertracker.com to get more info on this (and to also download the beta-patch which I believe is still only available in the forums themselves...not sure though).

Data-mining ROCKS.

I'm new to 6-max and am trying to pick up on it.
Playing on 2-tables 5/10 right now....while I have 14 other tables open on party and different skins that are just data-mining away.

For someone who is brand new to 5/10 6-max like me being able to grab stats on more and more of my opponents significantly increases my chances of actually succeeding here and making it work.

It's REALLY nice to identify the solid players....many of whom I assume are some of you guys. Since I don't know anybody's party-handle here and I still don't know what I'm doing I really need every bit of help I can get

Big Bend
10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could also get a big 160 gig hard drive and auto import all the time for months and be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem isn't disk space, its how much data the PT Access database can handle. I've heard of users running out of room for their hand histories and having to delete sessions. Access DB itself has restrictions.. unlike, say Oracle.

allen, an Oracle database administrator for last 15 years

J.R.
10-26-2004, 05:01 PM
a temporary solution (http://www.pokertracker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1334)

U can also create a new HH database (http://pokertracker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1239)

If you fill a HH database (which fills less quickly than the individual databases) after converting it to MS 2002 (which doubles its size), you have mad hands, and these hands involve many players not currently playing in those games. Purge hands (Pat is comming out with a feature in an upcomming patch to more easily allow you to delete hands from on a range of dates that is also expceted to enable you to spare your own hands within the selected date range). IMO, exportable data becomes obsolete over time as fish leave/bust out, good players move up, newer players get better, player styles change etc. There is no need to export somebody's stats from over a few months ago, you get the best reads by exporting the most recent few thousand hands.