PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 10-20: Four Queens exposed on 3rd street

04-22-2002, 04:15 AM
Here's a hand I played today which I thought had a couple interesting 3rd street decisions.

The third street boards are:

(x,x)2c

(x,x)5d

(x,x)Qh

(8c,8d)Qs ME!

(x,x)6d

(x,x)Qd

(x,x)Qc

(x,x)4s

Even before the low-card 2c brings it in for $3, I'm already making a few jokes with the player on my right. "Should we even bother to look at our other two cards?" "If I raise, it means I've got pocket Aces!"

So, the 2c brings it in. The 5d calls. The Qh folds. I raise with my pocket 8's.

Do you want to raise here with a useless kicker to narrow the field? Or is this a situation where limping is better and play to spike an 8?

The 6d calls. The Qd calls. What?! The Qc calls. What?! The 4s calls.

Then, the low-card 2c, who had brought it in for the minimum blind, reraises. The 5d folds and the action gets to me.

How do I proceed from here? Reraise with what would seem to be a second best hand (at best)? Or just call and play to spike an 8?

04-22-2002, 04:20 AM
On third street, I just called the low-card's reraise. Everybody else called as well. Six players saw fourth street

The fourth street boards are:

(x,x)2c,5s

(8c,8d)Qs,Ac ME!

(x,x)6d,8h

(x,x)Qd,7s

(x,x)Qc,Jd

(x,x)4s,Td

The 8h landed immediately on my left.

I'm first to act. Is this a check and fold situation with so many dead cards? Or is the Ace kicker enough to take off at least another card? Or should I bet out with the intention of leading the betting until somebody else shows strength?

04-22-2002, 09:03 AM
i think the raise here is not just to narrow the field but also in the hopes you can set up a steal. if there was no chance of a steal here then i think raising is wrong. once the future action happens on third street i think the best play is to fold. but raising is probably a close second. with one more caller between you and the reraiser i think it is a clear fold.

Pat

04-22-2002, 09:05 AM
undoubtedly check. whether to raise or fold depends on what happens after you check. there is little point to bettinhg here since the pot is large enough that they are playing correctly to call with any decent hand.

Pat

04-22-2002, 03:13 PM
I think I'd limp on 3rd with small pocket pair and a dead door card. I'd put the calling Q on a flush draw or a small pocket pair like you. No way would I re-raise the bring in, you may even be the only one to call the raise anyway.

04-22-2002, 05:16 PM
i once saw four queens exposed on third street. unfortunately it was third street in new york city and it wasnt a pretty sight.

Pat

04-22-2002, 10:36 PM
The fourth street boards are:

(x,x)2c,5s

(8c,8d)Qs,Ac ME!

(x,x)6d,8h

(x,x)Qd,7s

(x,x)Qc,Jd

(x,x)4s,Td

I checked on fourth street and it got checked around.

On fifth street, I caught the miracle 8s for trips. I bet on 5th, 6th, and 7th street getting three callers on every street. My trip 8's held up.

04-23-2002, 02:05 AM
One of the key reasons I raised on 3rd street was because I thought my hand was best at the moment. With all those Queens and low-cards on 3rd street, I thought it was very likely that nobody had a hand which could call a raise. Note that nobody had a doorcard bigger than 8 except for the four dead Queens.

Of course, I hated my dead kicker.

04-24-2002, 08:17 PM
Dynasty,

Did you really have three callers on every street? Is the 10-20 game this loose. I am very interested in what the double overcaller had; there is no way I would expect trip 8s to hold up here after three people called!

Nice hand. Well played.

Mike

04-24-2002, 09:18 PM
Did you really have three callers on every street?

Yes.

Usually, the game isn't very loose. However, all three players had two-pair hands. Since nobody ever made an open pair, they had good reasons to call in a pot that became very large on the river. The three callers were:

(x,x)6d,8h

(x,x)Qd,7s

(x,x)4s,Td

The last player to over call (4sTd) made Kings & Tens. I would have called in his spot too.

The river bet was a bit tricky. I was really hoping to fill-up. When I didn't, I thought for a few moments before deciding to value bet. It didn't appear that anybody had a solid straight or flush draw based on their boards.

04-27-2002, 12:10 AM
Wow Pat, I didn't think you had a sense of humor. I'm impressed.