PDA

View Full Version : House of Sand and Fog

Ulysses
10-26-2004, 05:33 AM
I watched this movie last night. I'm still not sure what I thought of it. Anyone else see it? Anyone read the book?

exist
10-26-2004, 05:39 AM
i thought the ending was contrived but jennifer connelly is hot.

scrub
10-26-2004, 06:29 AM
My Dad said the book was much better.

Jennifer Connely is hot.

scrub

jdl22
10-26-2004, 06:37 AM
Was anyone castrated in the film?

Michael Davis
10-26-2004, 07:18 AM
She has mannish features.

-Michael

GuyOnTilt
10-26-2004, 07:33 AM
As virtually always, the book was better. I was very excited to see the movie, but ended up being disappointed. I had heard early on in its development that it was going to be an Darren Aranofsky film (probably misspelled), but someone told me wrong. I loved his last two works, so it was kind of a let down when I found out he wasn't directing this. So the fact that I had already been disappointed by the film before I even saw it plus the fact that I had read the book equaled me not being thrilled with the film.

GoT

exist
10-26-2004, 08:47 AM
really? where are they?

Rushmore
10-26-2004, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had heard early on in its development that it was going to be an Darren Aranofsky film (probably misspelled), but someone told me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

As extremely mediocre as the movie was, Aranofsky would have been all wrong to direct it. Unless he is much more versatile that I suspect, the mood could never have worked.

Which it barely did anyway.

Another case of everyone clamoring to proclaim the greatness of a thing that was absolutely average, really nothing special.

In same category, see also: The Road To Perdition, most shrimp dishes, rock band Oasis.

mikech
10-26-2004, 05:39 PM
A friend of mine was at Stanford in the mid-90s when she was there for a couple of years and shared a class with her. He said that despite her always coming to class wearing sweatshirts and sweatpants and without any makeup, she still could not hide how hot she was.

Dominic
10-26-2004, 07:28 PM
If Jennifer Connelly has mannish features, then sign me up to be gay.

fsuplayer
10-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Jennifer Connely is hot.

This is your best post ever. And its not even close. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

and yeah, the movie's ok.

Six_of_One
10-26-2004, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Another case of everyone clamoring to proclaim the greatness of a thing that was absolutely average, really nothing special.

In same category, see also: The Road To Perdition, most shrimp dishes, rock band Oasis.

[/ QUOTE ]

How dare you say that about shrimp dishes. Some people.

P.S. I own an Oasis CD (did I really just admit that?)

theBruiser500
10-27-2004, 01:47 AM
i really liked the movie. great acting kingsley in particular and connoley, very sad.

Alobar
10-27-2004, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm...your sexuality is suspect

Right before I die and I get to relive all the beauty I have seen in this life time, one of the clips will be the part in RFAD when the old guy says "ass to ass"

astroglide
10-27-2004, 01:02 PM
wrong. jamlie lee curtis has mannish (and horsish) features.

Steph Djordjevic
10-27-2004, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm...your sexuality is suspect

Right before I die and I get to relive all the beauty I have seen in this life time, one of the clips will be the part in RFAD when the old guy says "ass to ass"

[/ QUOTE ]

He says "back to back" as the whole crowd is cheering it.

I didn't like this movie. A crucial element of drama is that people act like human beings. The Connoly character is too lazy to get off her ass for years on end, now she's all fired up to scheme "her" house back. (All in cahoots with a drunken, loser cop having an extra-marital affair).

The Ben Kingsley character made little sense. Its not like he felt the house was on sacred ground. It was just an investment op. He could have turned a nice profit in a number of ways and moved on without all the trouble.

As a point of reference, check out "All the Right Moves." This is a movie for the ages (ages 7 - 16). Look at the drama, look at the tension, look at that cast! The point of A.T.R.M. is that desperate people must take desperate measures, and it comes across, beautifully. In their own special way, all the characters in the dying coal mining town had to make all the right moves to make their lives better.

Alobar
10-27-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you watch it on USA or something?

scrub
10-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Fair enough.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

scrub

Duke
12-09-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Stanley B. Herman says ass to ass. This is when Connelly and the other chick are teaming up on the 24" double dong, anally, in case you were confusing it with a different scene.

~D

astroglide
12-09-2004, 04:35 PM
http://www.141empire.com/141cinema/ass2assguy.htm

jakethebake
12-09-2004, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wrong. jamlie lee curtis has mannish (and horsish) features.

[/ QUOTE ]
I always thought she looked more like a giraffe with that ridiculously long neck.