PDA

View Full Version : Trip to St. Marteen

PokerNeal
10-26-2004, 04:26 AM
I just won a trip to St. Marteen on Partypoker. Besides sun and surf there supposedly is a poker tourney you can play in as well. Thanks, Enon, for being there at the final table sweating the game. I am glad that you too have won a trip to St. Marteen!

This makes it the third such tourney I have won in the last couple of months. I must tell you that it seems so hard to keep a consistent track record and win tourney after tourney. I have had a bad time at tourneys ever since my last tourney win a few weeks back. Everytime I felt I got my act straight I started falling apart and then going back to the knowledgebase to see why my game had fallen off the cliff. Frustrating! You feel like you got it all right and keep winning and then you fall off the wagon for the next several tourneys! Right now I think I again have a handle on the game but after a couple of losses I probably will start questioning my play again! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Let me share a few perspectives that I have fresh in my mind after this win.

1. I had to win three life/death coin flips. Case #1 -- AK holds up. Case #2 -- KK holds up. Case #3 -- 9-9 makes a set against someone else's pocket king's and holds up.

2. I laid down good hands an on the button a few times in the final table because I was quite confident a few weak players would self destruct. My goal was not to make #1 but to end up in the top 5. (top 5 in the satellite got the St. Marteen trip)

3. Didn't give a rat's behind to issues like stack size, number of players left, etc. Just had my head down and tried to play a solid game.

4. Didn't go on tilt after a couple of badbeats. It seems to me like a couple of badbeats are inevitable in a large tourney. I tried to handle it with grace and kicked the pillow to vent my anger. I did not let it get to my head.

5. Was liberal with hand selection in early part of the tourney and played with hands like K-J, Q-J even from early position. Did not push my luck and folded against a big bet even with a top pair because I suspected kicker problem. My goal with these hands was to make either a two pair or a straight. Same with hands that carry flush prospect like A-9 or A-10 suited. If I didn't land my stated goal I played the cards very carefully. Therefore, never had a kicker problem or a higher pair beating me on the turn or the river.

6. At every flop I asked myself the question "AM I NUTS?" This helped me think what hands my opponents could possibly hold. This thinking helped me fold a hand where I had the top pair but I suspected my opponent had made a set. Turned out to be true and I was glad I had folded.

7. Lastly, I said to myself that this tourney was not life critical event. Many times one is so worried about losing a tourney that they abandon their normal game and play too cautiously giving up opportunities.

That's all for now. Thanks all!

10-26-2004, 04:42 AM
First, let me say congratulations on winning a trip, that said:

Neal, you must have some flawed thinking b/c of something I read in your post. You said you had to win 3 coin flips. (1)AK holds up, (2)KK holds up, and (3)99 makes a set against KK. In situation 1, you say AK holds up... for this to be true, you have to be against a worse hand... which is never a coin flip if you have AK and it's the best hand. Sit. 2 KK is never a coin flip against anything preflop. You are either a huge favorite(Anywhere from2.53-1 on up) or a huge dog against AA. Sit. 3 if you have 99 against KK you are a 4-1 dog. This is most definitely not a coin flip.

Perhaps I'm being nitpicky, but math is an important part of this game and if you don't understand the odds of your hand winning or losing, you will be in serious trouble.

Gavin Griffin

PokerNeal
10-26-2004, 04:50 AM
You are very correct! :-)

Oops. I shouldn't have said coinflips. I should have said life/death situations and left it at that. Situations where you have your entire stack bet and a negative outcome would exit you from the tourney. In my mind when I have A-K I always imagine going up against a pocket pair or equivalent wherein it does become a coin flip! However, in the overall context of the tourney what you wrote as a reply is factual and correct.

Late night... <yawn>... sorry! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lloyd
10-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Congrats on your victory and I appreciated your comments on playing your game and not getting wrapped up in everything else.

I should be going with you but I made the worse call I've EVER made in my short poker career.

Final table, top 4 goes and I'm in 2nd with 9 left. I'm dealt pocket 10s UTG+1 and open for a raise. I'm called by the chip leader. Flop is all under cards. I make about a 2/3 pot size bet and he goes over the top all-in. I thought about it (for way too short a time), called, and lost to pocket jacks.

In hindsight, there was NO way I wasn't beaten but I was just too caught up in the moment thinking that if I won the hand I had a spot locked up. If I just folded, I would have still been in 2nd, just not by much. But I would certainly be in a good position to cash. This hand STILL has me on tilt a little, after 3 days.

My biggest mistake is not taking my time with those tough decisions. In this case, it should have been an easy fold.

So I appreciate your comments and will re-read them during this period of turbulence!

Congrats and hopefully I'll see you there.

Lloyd
10-27-2004, 03:54 AM
See you there! I won a qualifier today and played in the event tonight. I was down to about 7BB with 1/4 of the people still in it but came back. Here's the hand that did it. After this, I pretty much sat back, stole a few blinds and let the big stack go to work. My first "big" tourney win so I'm pretty happy right now.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (8 handed)

Button (t11565)
Hero (t7564)
BB (t7512)
UTG (t4685)
UTG+1 (t34068)
MP1 (t13430)
MP2 (t11380)
CO (t9796)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t1500</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t3500</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t2000.

Flop: (t7600) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets t3100</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t4064 (All-In)</font>, MP2 calls t964.

Turn: (t15728) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t15728) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t15728

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has As Ac (two pair, aces and nines).
MP2 has Qc Tc (one pair, nines).
Outcome: Hero wins t15728. </font>