PDA

View Full Version : 7cs8 hand

04-21-2002, 12:45 AM
Loose aggressive 7cs8 game--the must move at the commerce 20-40 somewhat shorthanded.

I have Qh9h10h don't remember my doorcard but I suspect it was the 10. Low card brought it in, a black seven called, a black wheel card raised to 20, one fold, I called the 20, the 9d folded, and the low card folded. All hearts, jacks, kings, eights, queens, and 10s are live, and only the 9d is out for my last crucial card.

The 7 was a very loose and tricky player who had been raising almost every hand for a while and had burned up about a rack or more in spurts--going all in, then buying another stack, then all-in again, buying two stacks, throwing in a hundred for money plays--he had been playing far too long and later fell asleep at the table. The other card was a slightly more passive player who played fairly tight but also seemed to be playing too many hands once the other guy sat down.

I suspect that the 10 was my door card because I didn't reraise and I know I didn't have the nine showing. Should I have raised, called, or folded on third?

Next card off for my opponents are a black 10 for the 7 and an ace for the low raiser. I catch the 8h to give me a four flush and a gut shot straight. Ace bets, I call, 10-7 calls.

The next cards were an eight for the 10-7, a six for the low, and a black king for me. The low bet, I called, the other guy called.

On sixth the 10-7-8 paired his door card, the low caught a blank, and I caught the jd for a straight. The sevens checked, the low bet, and I raised. I wasn't sure if I should raise here or not, with the 7s pairing his doorcard, but I did raise, fully expecting to either check or just call a bet if I had to on the river.

What was the right play here?

04-21-2002, 01:57 AM
Third street is a call. Fourth and fifth are definitely calls. Sixth street is a raise. If the 7s have a draw to beat you, he has to pay. If he's sandbagging with a full house, that's life. On seventh, I would plan on calling if it is bet, and betting if it is checked to me (if the 7s fold, Ace-high will act first on seventh). This all seems pretty straightforward to me. Why do you ask?

04-21-2002, 04:16 AM
i wouldnt call on 3rd street *unless* maybe i could get in cheap (minimum) with no chance of raise behind me.

in a low limit jackpot game where the jackpot is significant then thats a bit different (especially since players are all probably playing crap).

wonder what the reasoning is for playing for half the pot?

brad

04-21-2002, 11:06 AM
Yes, I wanted to see how many people would have this opinion. I wasn't sure and have thrown these hands away before, but in this instance the hand was very live, one of my opponents played very badly, and the other opponent was liable not to give me too rough of a time either.

Three cards to a very live high flush, with some outs to a straight also, does not do too poorly against a couple of opponents both going low, and the pots could get very big with the limper in the hand.

But I don't think a fold is a terrible option in this game if you are trying to play squeaky tight. I'd be interested to see if anyone would recommend raising.

04-21-2002, 11:20 AM
the key play here was to raise on fourth street. see why?

you want to run out the guy with the 10,7. why let him maybe make a low or a hand that can jam you on later streets. here is when, even though you have nothing you want it headup. the other guy with the low card and ace could very well have paired up and you would then be drawing for the full pot or hoping he doesnt have or make a low hand..

04-21-2002, 01:12 PM
I don't know that calling on third is automatic. I wanted to see how many people might recommend folding, and if anyone would say raise.

I thought too that I might have made a mistake elsewhere in the hand, either by not folding when the low clearly got made, or by not trying to knock out the other hand with a raise at some point. Ray Zee below recommends fourth, but I think in this instance fifth would have been better because the 7 would certainly call on fourth with as little as a pair of 7s or even three to a seven low--which I didn't want to lose anyway.

Also, I'm not sure that the raise on 6th was good. I wondered if maybe I should try and let my opponent draw to an inferior straight (as he had 10 - 7 - 8 plus the other seven) or call me down with two pair or trips since there was no way I could make a low.

I'm glad that at least one person thought that my decision making was ho-hum, because I think no decision made here was an awful one--and I often will play this way.

04-21-2002, 01:16 PM
I thought about raising on fourth and on fifth as well. I thought that this guy would come for sure on fourth, but might fold when it was eighty to him on fifth.

04-22-2002, 01:44 AM
I don't like calling a raise with a 3 card flush or 3 card straight, but a straight flush is OK against 2 low cards.

When I first read 4th St. my impulse response was to raise, but then I saw you wanted to bring in your other customer. I will sometimes let them in on fourth to build the pot with the intention of raising fifth. I would have raised on fifth to charge the 3rd guy double price because you are chopping with the A-low draw.

Ray's comment makes sense, but I wonder if the risk of them outdrawing is greater than the increased size of the pot if they stay. When you do win in a 3-way pot, it seems like a much better pay off than splitting the antes and 3rd street bets heads up.

Let me guess: T-7-8 filled up on the river. He got lucky.

I am kicking myself for playing 7s,8s/ 8d yesterday. I had 2 pair and a flush draw and a straight draw on fifth street 7s,8s, /8d,9s,7d and did not fill up, my opponent did catch a full house on the river with xx/5,6,A on fifth street.

04-23-2002, 12:10 AM
I raised. He debated a long time, then called. The low just called.

On the river 77 checked, the low bet, I called, the 77 raised the low raised again, I called, 77 capped, call, call (I had made a flush with the 6h And thus could beat a ten or jack high straight which I thought was my only hope)

Guy had 4 7s. I asked him when I closed the betting with my call if he had a full house. And he said "Do I have a full house? No. 4 7s