PDA

View Full Version : Odds to go allin

FishBurger
10-26-2004, 02:03 AM
At the start of a SNG where you have 800 in chips (PP $30 or less buyin), what kind of odds would you like to have before you go allin? Suppose you have 88 and you know that another player who is allin has AKo, giving you about a 5% lead -- would you call the allin bet? What about if you have AKo and the other player went allin with 88?

It seems like in most of the Party SNGs I enter, I usually end up allin on the bubble in some type of race situation. Therefore, I would call if in the above scenario if I had the 88, because I'm not sure that I will have that good of odds on an allin at any other time in the tourney. If I had AKo and I knew the allin-bettor had 88, I would probably fold because I might be able to get better odds later in the tourney.

What do you think the average odds are whenever you are allin in a SNG? Are you a master player and average 3-to-2 or better odds when you're allin? Or, do you feel like a race situation is the best you can hope for? I usually end up in race situations at Party Poker.

However, on Poker Stars, with the 1500-starting-chip stack, I feel like I can usually wait for a better situation than a race. If it's early in a PS SNG, I would likely fold both the 88 and the AK and wait for a better opportunity down the line. However, if there are four players left, I would go allin with the 5% edge in an attempt to make it to the money.

To sum this post up, at Party Poker, with the 800 starting chips, I would go allin at the start of the tourney in a race situation. At Poker Stars, with the 1500 starting chips, I feel like I can pass up any race situations early, and will try to put off the races until I'm short-stacked or the table is down to four or five players.

Bigwig
10-26-2004, 02:10 AM
There's a significant problem with your hypothesis there. You can't know that your opponent has AK, or 88. You're putting people on a range of hands, not specific ones. If the stacks are sufficiently deep, I'm not going all-in with either early.

Early, I'd want a significant edge. Something like 7:3 or more.

bweiser8311962
10-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Why risk it?

Let's say you're 50:50. 50 percent of the time you are busting out of the tournament. the other 50 you have about 1600 chips to play with. of that 50 percent, you have to finish on average 2nd to be making a profit.

the only way i call an all-in pre-flop, is with aces, kings, maybe queens, and possibly depending on whether i've put money into the pot.

why risk it? i have played one $20 SNG at Party. I got pocket queens. guy slowplayed aces behind me. so i got all-in and all-out pretty quickly.

there are enough stupid people at a SNG that you don't have to play stupid to earn money.