PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Suppan vs. the current sox

sublime
10-26-2004, 12:21 AM
Its late, and I am bored. I figured I would post some cold hard stats about Jeff Suppan. Here is how he has fared against the lineup he will see tomoroow.

CF- Damon 5/14, BB, .357
SS- Cabrera 3/9, 2b, 3b, .333
LF- Manny 7/19, 3 HR, 2b, 3BB, .368
1b- Ortizzle 8/24, HR, 2 2b, 2BB, .333
C- Varitek 6/14, 2b, BB .429
2b- Bellhorn 0/3
RF- Nixon 4/17, 2 HR, BB .235
3b- Mueller 1/7, 2BB .143

and his opponent:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041025/capt.sts11110252356.world_series_red_sox_cardinals _sts111.jpg

Neil Stevens
10-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Uh... how about those Blues? Oh wait... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sublime
10-26-2004, 12:32 AM
hahahaha

Its all good natured, but I just laugh at how many people watched the LCS series and think that Martinez is wahsed up and that StL will run amock at home. Martinez is still one of the best pitchers in the game(like top 5 range) and Suppan is a career "innings eater" who was fortunate to have a great offense/defense behind him this year.

I can't wait for the game /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rgreenm90
10-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Yeah. I want to be reasonable and say that the game depends on how well Petey pitches to Walker, Poo Holes, Rolen and "the Marvel" (thanks McCarver, for being retarded). But really there is no reason the sox should lose.

challenger84
10-26-2004, 08:48 AM
yeah dude, i guess you just can't argue with stats. maybe the cards should just forfeit the next two, and save everyone a little time.

red sox in 4 (the last two by forfeit)

mmbt0ne
10-26-2004, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah dude, i guess you just can't argue with stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says the guy who will point out at the drop of a hat that the Cardinals haven't lost a game at home all post-season.

challenger84
10-26-2004, 11:11 AM
What? Go away, unless you have something substantial to add to the discussion. I love people (trolls) who just show up on a thread to talk [censored]. Jackass.

mmbt0ne
10-26-2004, 11:14 AM
/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Last time I posted real numbers in Clark's thread about why the St. Louis pitching was not as good as people made out to be nobody paid attention or even responded.

challenger84
10-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Hmmmm... I wonder why....

mmbt0ne
10-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Blind faith was my first guess.

sublime
10-26-2004, 02:03 PM
dude-

you are a pain in the ass. i posted how your starting pitcher has fared against our current lineup. on a board full of math geeks, somehow i figured it would be interesting.

post something with a little substance, please?

sublime
10-26-2004, 02:21 PM
pedro vs cards (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/bvsp?pitcherId=2717)

just to post all relevant info

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude-

you are a pain in the ass. i posted how your starting pitcher has fared against our current lineup. on a board full of math geeks, somehow i figured it would be interesting.

post something with a little substance, please?

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, nice. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

challenger84
10-26-2004, 02:41 PM
red sox in 4 duder

challenger84
10-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Actually, if you want to talk "stats" and "relevant info":

Pedro Martinez (16-9, 3.90)
Jeff Suppan (16-9, 4.16)

Hmmmm.....

red sox in 4, and it's not close.

craig r
10-26-2004, 04:00 PM
The other day you said something about how all your shite talking was in fun..and that you weren't really taking it seriosly, etc... I am going to call bull shite on that. YOU are the one that hasn't really added anything of substance. Even when TSC was talking shite, he would still add things of substance (god, he talked tons of sh!t!!!! lol).

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The other day you said something about how all your shite talking was in fun..and that you weren't really taking it seriosly, etc... I am going to call bull shite on that.

[/ QUOTE ] I called him on it, and my [censored] talking was and is in all good fun. I have a zero emotional investment in any of these games or the series before.

challenger84
10-26-2004, 04:34 PM
That's nice.

astroglide
10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
not close? want to put $100 on it?

challenger84
10-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Take a look at my avatar, and my location, and all my other posts, and think long and hard about whether I was being serious about that, or whether I was being sarcastic.

sublime
10-26-2004, 05:15 PM
C-

You do realize that suppan:

a) pitched in the NL (so his ERA needs to be adjusted, fortunatly i do that kind of reasearch and its 4.67)
b) had a MUCH better defense behind him the majority of the year than pedro did AND a stronger bullpen (which doesnt matter much now, since kline is out and I would say whatever edge StL had has been neutralized/lessened)

Again, adding "substance" means say something worthwhile. Dont just go to SI.com click on W/L record and say "wow suppan and pedro are almost the same" like any johhny come lately fan(which you seem to be BTW) can do.

I dont mind debate on the strenght/weaknesses of a team, but all of your post are of the "Nuhh uhhh" 6 yr old variety.

pray for rain

My final thoughts on tonights pitching matchup:

Suppan is the type of pitcher that this lineup was BUILT for. he doesn't K anyone, he gives up lots of HR's, and he does't have pinpoint control. the sox will grind him out, get a lot of men on base and hopefully tear the cover off the ball.

challenger84
10-26-2004, 05:26 PM
I was just trying to employ the patented sublime method of throwing out statistics and using that as some sort of replacement for actual debate.

Talk to me on thursday buddy, I'm guessing you'll be singing a different tune. And no, I'm not going to pray for rain. Martinez is about 5 years past his prime and on the road to being washed up. But you're a Boston fan, and you're always right, so I digress.

sublime
10-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Talk to me on thursday buddy, I'm guessing you'll be singing a different tune. And no, I'm not going to pray for rain. Martinez is about 5 years past his prime and on the road to being washed up. But you're a Boston fan, and you're always right, so I digress.

okay this is what i mean. show me some STATISTICAL proof to back up what you are saying. go ahead! SHOW me that pedro is 5 years past his prime (which BTW would still make him the best pitcher on StL, by a WIDE margin)

"talk to me on thursday" doesnt qualify as an arguement.

you are a johhny come lately fan, who will disappear into the sunset once the WS is over and then reappear the next time its "cool to do so"

pray for rain

challenger84
10-26-2004, 05:41 PM
I was a St. Louis fan long before you bought that crisp new Red Sox hat last year right befor you jumped head first on to the bandwagon. I swear to god, you argue like you're actually on the team. I can literally picture you sitting in front of your computer, with your dick in your hand, staring at your ManRam poster, yelling at the screen because somebody doesn't agree with you that the Red Sox are the best team in the universe. I'm just a fan, I like to think my team is going to win. You are insane, you take it personally, hurl insults and likely cry yourself to sleep every time your team loses. I enjoyed having spirited discussions with you, but you clearly cannot distinguish the line between a "discussion" and a "personal attack." I'm not going to take this any further, and I seriously suggest psychiatric help.

sublime
10-26-2004, 05:43 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mmbt0ne
10-26-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I enjoyed having spirited discussions with you, but you clearly cannot distinguish the line between a "discussion" and a "personal attack."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I can literally picture you sitting in front of your computer, with your dick in your hand, staring at your ManRam poster

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, the 'spirited discussions' of the OOT forum.

sublime
10-26-2004, 06:32 PM
I was a St. Louis fan long before you bought that crisp new Red Sox hat last year right befor you jumped head first on to the bandwagon

You are insane, you take it personally, hurl insults and likely cry yourself to sleep every time your team loses.

were you on the debate team by any chance?

daryn
10-26-2004, 07:14 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I was a St. Louis fan long before you bought that crisp new Red Sox hat last year right befor you jumped head first on to the bandwagon. I swear to god, you argue like you're actually on the team. I can literally picture you sitting in front of your computer, with your dick in your hand, staring at your ManRam poster, yelling at the screen because somebody doesn't agree with you that the Red Sox are the best team in the universe. I'm just a fan, I like to think my team is going to win. You are insane, you take it personally, hurl insults and likely cry yourself to sleep every time your team loses. I enjoyed having spirited discussions with you, but you clearly cannot distinguish the line between a "discussion" and a "personal attack." I'm not going to take this any further, and I seriously suggest psychiatric help.

[/ QUOTE ]

for real, you come off as stupid and borderline insane in all of your posts.

chill man, just chill.

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 07:20 PM
all I will say is I called Sublime a faggot one time and he replied by calling me a moron. I don't think Sublime is the one taking things to seriously, because he could have easily of gone off on me, justifiably too.

Chill out Challenger, otherwise you will take the Cards potential loss waaaaaaaaaay to hard. Its just a game after all.

sublime
10-26-2004, 07:29 PM
me?

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
me?

[/ QUOTE ]
challenger

sublime
10-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Saltys sensative side

Instant Classic (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=114116 6&amp;Forum=,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,&amp;W ords=&amp;Searchpage=14&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=1141166&amp;Search=t rue&amp;where=&amp;Name=8885&amp;daterange=&amp;newerval=&amp;newertyp e=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post1141166)

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2004, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saltys sensative side

Instant Classic (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=114116 6&amp;Forum=,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,&amp;W ords=&amp;Searchpage=14&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main=1141166&amp;Search=t rue&amp;where=&amp;Name=8885&amp;daterange=&amp;newerval=&amp;newertyp e=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post1141166)

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif, yup its some good stuff. I am just glad I apologized afterwards.

sublime
10-26-2004, 07:36 PM
damn straight

you dont me getting statistical on your ass

Lazymeatball
10-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Challenger has just been making inflamatory posts since he joined, with no arguments to back any of them up. And he even accuses others of trolling. oh well. He'll be gone soon.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-26-2004, 09:53 PM
...was almost as funny as watching Suppan run the bases. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

sublime
10-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Its all good natured, but I just laugh at how many people watched the LCS series and think that Martinez is wahsed up and that StL will run amock at home. Martinez is still one of the best pitchers in the game(like top 5 range) and Suppan is a career "innings eater" who was fortunate to have a great offense/defense behind him this year.

Ed Miller
10-27-2004, 12:20 AM
...was almost as funny as watching Suppan run the bases.

Dude, the third base coach jumping up and down absolutely made that moment.

mmbt0ne
10-28-2004, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm.....

red sox in 4, and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a pleasant little reminder from our friend challenger.

sublime
10-28-2004, 02:22 AM
LOL!