PDA

View Full Version : $30/60 stud/8 scenario

04-13-2002, 12:25 AM
This is from a week or so ago. It is checked to a very loose, pretty aggressive player on my right who shows (xx)653, not necessarily in that order, and bets. He only called on third street, and only called on fourth street. I suspect that he is quite weak. Specifically, I think that he started with a bad card in the hole, and I think that he is probably paired as well. If he had had any kind of hand, he would likely have raised on third and/or fourth. The pot is six-handed at this point, and there was only one bet on both third and fourth street, so it isn't that big, but it's worth winning. I am next to act after (xx)653 and have a made 8742A. I don't remember what I had showing. I believe that I have the best low hand, and I believe that if I raise, I can get it heads-up with the other guy, who may have no hand. This would give me, I thought, the best chance to scoop, as I have three (or four) overcards to his probable pair. I raised, and everyone else did fold. I checked behind on sixth and called it down on the river. Your comments sought.

04-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Were you showing either or both the 7 or the 8 in your upcards when you raised? If you were, then you were in kind of a reverse-implied-odds situation where your opponent can bet confidently into you if he makes a better low and you don't improve, but you can't bet into him if he catches good.

I've made reads just like yours with hands just like yours and made plays just like yours ... and gotten hammered when the other guy's pocket nines and rough seven beat my ace-high and unimproved eight. ("Nice hand, sir, very well played....")

04-13-2002, 03:30 PM
As best as I can recall, I was showing the 7 without the 8. My read was correct. Everyone else folded, and I chopped with the guy who had a pair of 3s and no credible low draw. I had four overcards to his pair at the time of the raise.